Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fast Food Memories

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Does anyone remember McDonald's 1976 Olympic stopwatch challenge. You placed your order on the counter, then you pressed the start button on a stopwatch and the clerk had 60 seconds to get your order ready?
    Did anyone spot Herb?

Comment

This ad campaign seems to be working...

www.HanginThereJack.com
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
        I remember that stop watch thing. Didn't go to good for them. I remember them all bumping into each other behind the counter.

Anyone remember the burger palce on University Ave.???? They had the beer steamed hotdogs and fries with Old Bay on it.

What about Godfathers Pizza???? I always thought they had the best pizza in Hawaii.

Can someone suggest an alternative to Flamingo's on Kapiolani???? Someplace within walking distance of the NBC. Same good food. Hold a bunch of people. Reasonable prices.
        Closest I can think of is ASAHI GRILL down Ward Ave. just mauka of the Ward-Queen corner. Parking is very tight, though. They serve the oxtail soup made famous by Kapiolani Coffee Shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          This ad campaign seems to be working...

www.HanginThereJack.com

Yep!

I took advantage of the free curly fries on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
            O.P. I'm not at all surprised there was an actual restaurant named Taco Town. As for Taco Time, wasn't there also one on Alakea Street in downtown Honolulu? I think that's what it was called.

----------
            it was 'Taco HUT'...which I loved...especially their nachos!!! I missed them!
            There were two Taco Times that I recall. One in Waipahu and the other in Mapunapuna at the old Gibson's.
            GO RAIL GO!!!

Comment

Anyone remember the real Jumbo Jack?????
              It was really big and came in a big box. If i remember right it was about 7" or 8" across. Not like what it is now.
              Felt cheated when the went to the smaller patty, and still called it a Jumbo Jack.
              I remember a place in Waikiki, Tiki Grill I think, used to have a one pound hamberger. I ate one once. Was good, but a little to big for me.

Comment

I remember a place in Waikiki, Tiki Grill I think, used to have a one pound hamberger. I ate one once. Was good, but a little to big for me.
                Not sure about Tiki Grill, but right around the corner from there at Teddy's Bigger Burgers, they have an 18 ounce (1-1/4 pound) "Monster Double Combo" burger made up of two 9 ounce patties stacked up. Not bad price either at just 11.75, which includes fries and drink!

Although I wouldn't classify Teddy's as fast food, as they're usually not very fast with the order, taking on average about 10-20 minutes before you get your stuff (depending how busy they are, which is often). Still, everything is always made to order, which is always a good thing!
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

On the roof of Charles de Gaule airport in Paris they have a number of fast food vendors. My favourite is the Crepe man and as it was a pancake Tuesday, I had several. He does savoury Crepes but my favourites are the Cointreau, or Grand Marnier or the Strawberry jam with cream.
                  I was hoping that my flight to England was going to be delayed so I could have more.

Comment

Scotty's was next to Rainbow Rollerland on Ke`eaumoku - 19 cent burgers? or maybe a quarter. I think they also had a location in Pearl City? Really the first of the fast food burger places.

Comment

Anyone remember Scotty's, Chunky's, Burger Land, Andy's in Kailua?????
                      All of those were before myself except for Andy's, I would go there with my dad a lot when he had to meet up with his brother or his uncle in Kailua. The thing about places like that is, they were basic burgers but they were still so good. Maybe as an adult it might be junk, but it would be great to bring them back and perhaps add some BBQ sauce, some kecap manis or whatever, to see how good (or bad) it would taste.

I don't remember Frings, but it sounds interesting. Since "Jack is Back", maybe someone should e-mail "him" and ask him to bring it back.

You know what I used to like? Going to Kam or Waialae Drive in and eating their cheeseburgers, fries, and maybe an ice malt, whether it was before a movie or during swap meets. Unfortunately I never had the pizzas they sold at Waialae, my parents felt it was "too much".

Comment

Anyone remember the real Jumbo Jack?????
                        It was really big and came in a big box. If i remember right it was about 7" or 8" across. Not like what it is now.
                        My auntie (who passed away a year ago this month) moved to the mainland, but when she came back home, she would tell us about these "adventurous" things that, at least for a kid, sounded really cool. Jack In The Box, for years, was "the mainland place" until they opened one in Waikiki, and a "Jumbo Jack" sounded like the most incredible sandwich (keep in mind I was also 9 or 10 years old). We would go to Jack In The Box, she would order one (and a Monterey Jack) and I would be amazed at how any sandwich could be that big.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          Does anyone remember McDonald's 1976 Olympic stopwatch challenge. You placed your order on the counter, then you pressed the start button on a stopwatch and the clerk had 60 seconds to get your order ready?
                          Wow, I remember that very well. Was it really 1976? Man.

Comment

Remember when the Big Mac really looked Big, The Whopper was a whopper, and Jumbo Jack well!!!
                            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Wasnt Burger land in Kaimuki open as recently as say 5 years ago?

The only MOS Burger I remember was the one in Waikiki which I think the DFS Galleria replaced it?

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by johmbolaya View Post
                                All of those were before myself except for Andy's, I would go there with my dad a lot when he had to meet up with his brother or his uncle in Kailua. The thing about places like that is, they were basic burgers but they were still so good. Maybe as an adult it might be junk, but it would be great to bring them back and perhaps add some BBQ sauce, some kecap manis or whatever, to see how good (or bad) it would taste.
                                You can still buy the old Andy's burgers at Byron's Drive-In. It's owned and operated by Andrew Wong's widow. She uses the same recipe and sauces that made Andy's burgers a local favorite.
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X