Have you ever been fired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have you ever been fired?

This is sort of the opposite of being fired. I was working as an advertising artist back in the '70s at a very well-known but disreputable local agency. The employee turnover was about 50 percent a month, in all departments, primarily because the owner/manager was, frankly, a lunatic. I lasted about three months -- seemed like three years -- then got another job but continued to freelance for the ad agency.
    Then their checks started to bounce. I'd show up on Tuesday afternoon with the final of their Wednesday double-truck ad down in the car, and say, cash only. That worked for about a month. Then they didn't have any loose cash on hand. So I started taking office furniture in exchange for the labor. That lasted a couple of months, and then the manager and his female assistant vanished with all the company assets. That was the end.
    I just looked this guy up via Google. He's recently involved in some sort of scam involving the CIA and Cuba.
    Still got some of the furniture.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I've been laid off from two jobs, both of which I liked. The first was an office manager gig for a tile and stone contractor. I was let go two weeks after 9/11. The second was a news monitor. I got replaced by a robot, in essence.

I walked off of a job as a business manager for a small Montessori school in the East Bay after I realized that I was not only the business manager but also the Principal, the capital campaign manager, the grant writer, the parent liaison and a host of other things that made my teacher's aide wage profoundly insulting. After getting dressed down for doing my job, I wrote a terse resignation letter and drove a car donated to the school home, parked it on the curb and let it get towed away. The upshot: I ended up dating a British single mother Mensa member whose daugher I enrolled with a scholarship. Having the discretion to hand scholarships out turned out to be a huge plus.

I was also fired by people I hired when my old band decided they'd be better off without me. We all lived together, which proved to be awkward. Almost as awkward as them playing songs I wrote even after they mutinied. The balls. I ended up getting hired by another band and playing coast to coast.
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post

The question for this thread is: have you ever been fired from a job and what was the outcome for you (good and/or bad)?
        Yes...too many times.The ultimate outcome, self employment. 5 years and counting.

The good thing was the lesson I learned about myself. I'm no good at being anyone's employee. I'm no good at doing detail oriented work for something or someone I don't care about.

I need to be self employed, as it gives me the highest level of self satisfaction, knowing that I finally figured out how to make a living doing something I love and am good at.

The Bad - not having the luxury of a consistent weekly paycheck. This is a bit disconcerting at times, but it's something you get used to.
        (edit - I thought of a few more "bad") Paying for your own healthcare, paying quarterly taxes - this requires discipline. The good part tho' is, getting more self discipline.

It took me a long time to learn those lessons and achieve this kind of autonomy, but I'm better for it.

So, getting fired, for the last time, was good for me.
        Last edited by tikiyaki; January 26, 2009, 01:04 PM.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
          So I started taking office furniture in exchange for the labor.... Still got some of the furniture.
          Well, at least you can still sit on your assets.

Comment

Hate to say but 2003 was not a good year for me then.......
            Was working for a well known book chain and this store that I worked at had a music department that I dwelled at. To make a LONG story short I got shown the door based on admitting a teeny tiny policy that I signed in agreement not to break as a employee. Was devastated and throughout my years of working I just could not believe this was happening to me. I finally got myself back into the workforce in 2004 when I worked for a affiliate of Williams-Sonoma that specialized in home and office storage solutions. It was a small store but well known in the area that I was working at. Was fun while it lasted until WS decided to pull the plug on us.

Comment

Let's see, I was let go from my first job after high school. I guy they had let go came back, so I became surplus.

My next job was a collage student job - I graduated.

After that it was mostly a case of riding a horse until it died under me.

Comment

At my first corporate job, I had a manager who always had to have someone to "pick on". While I was there, I saw her either outright fire or make things so uncomfortable that a person was forced to quit...7. 7 people in just over a year! Our office theme song became "Another One Bites the Dust."

I was 20 when I took this job and very naive about the politics of the corporate world. After every orginial employee had been forced to quit or had been fired, it was my turn. I'd wised up and had not given her any reason to get rid of me, and even though things were uncomfortable at work, I stayed. So she went through my files one night, removed several important documents, and then called the HR manager down for a meeting the next day to fire me, claiming I was incompetent. The HR manager totally knew what was going on, but it was my word against the manager's (I knew she'd taken those files, but I couldn't prove it), so I just said, "Whatever," and left.

Silver lining- I was able to start college the next month.

I also got fired from another job. I worked there part-time for less than a month when this weird woman fired me for using the wrong cover letter on a file. I told her she had never given me a different one. We discovered she hadn't- they were still on her desk. So she fired me for being insubordinate. But that's okay- that place was CREEPY!!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                  At my first corporate job, I had a manager who always had to have someone to "pick on". While I was there, I saw her either outright fire or make things so uncomfortable that a person was forced to quit...7. 7 people in just over a year! Our office theme song became "Another One Bites the Dust."
                  I only wonder what goes through the minds on most of them. Those who think they hold the ultimate "power" over someone at work or in general. Yet they forget it only lasts a while not for very long.

Grant it we all have of our ugly sides at different situations. But honestly!!!

Kinda makes you wonder if they do it because they can or they do it out of pleasure.

Mahalo

Have a pleasant week HT Ohana
                  stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                    I only wonder what goes through the minds on most of them.
                    Like in the Pink Floyd song: '...when they were home at night, their fat and psychopathic wives would thrash them within inches of their lives.'

Comment

Hmmmm...I was given the choice of either get laid off or resign. I chose to resign. I wrote the reason why on another thread. I sought spiritual guidance from a pastor. Instead of filing a complaint with the EOC, I forgave. I am a Christian first. Everything happens for a reason.

But I remember the hurt. The pain and the humiliation.

I forgive them All for their ignorance.

Today, I am fortunate to be working in the heart of Waikiki. I get to share Love and Aloha with tourists and locals. Every day is different. I love my job, the people and the FOOD!

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                        But I remember the hurt. The pain and the humiliation.
                        Well, getting fired in many circumstances is proof of having TRIED to expand your horizons. You might not have succeeded in that particular job, but the trying is commendable.
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                          Well, getting fired in many circumstances is proof of having TRIED to expand your horizons. You might not have succeeded in that particular job, but the trying is commendable.
                          Thank you Amati.

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                          X