Spamalot...literally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spamalot...literally

I've been using an email forwarding service for almost 14 years...one that is known for it's spam filters. Customers can also add their own filters. A customer's filtered email is sent to a discards page for review should said customer need to check for a legitimate, missing email. That happens, albeit rarely.

I thought I needed to check that page this morning (turns out I didn't!) and was stunned to find 15,694 messages in 'discards'...and even more stunned to find that covered only the last 30 days.

Even with all the filters in place, a few spam still make it thru to my ISP, where further filtering takes place. Those end up in my inbox but are specifically marked as spam.

Even then, some spam plows thru the entire filtering process where, within my email application, I've set up additional filters that send more spam to the trash!!! And, there's spam that bypasses ALL filters and ends up in my inbox. Not a lot, tho'!

After a little number crunching I estimate that should there be no filters in place I would be receiving approx. 575 spam per day! This doesn't even include a little used Yahoo account!

Any opinions on whether or not this is an unusually high number? I'm sure it doesn't help that I've had the same email addy for those 13+ years! I'm not looking to change it because the amount of spam that makes it thru to my inbox is not that disconcerting. I'm just a bit stunned over how prolific spam has become!

Re: Spamalot...literally

I think I've been getting in the 5-10 a day. Mostly to my email address I use on various Yahoo groups.

Tutusue, is your email posted on a website somewhere? What happens if you Google your email address? I'm thinking it must be placed where the various email harvesters are finding it. There are ways of obscuring your email on a website so that users can use it but it confuses the the spam spiders.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      There are ways of obscuring your email on a website so that users can use it but it confuses the the spam spiders.
      Do you mean by writing dakine(at)something.com instead of using (@)?
      Any other ways?

I got very few, but my wife was getting about 30 a day on her ...@hawaiiantel.net account, till we switched to yahoo mail.
      The spam slowly decreased till it stopped for her. Our ...@yahoo.com accounts haven't been discovered yet. Crossing fingers
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        [...]
        Tutusue, is your email posted on a website somewhere? What happens if you Google your email address?[...]
        I've munged my email address since the end of the 1990s however other film production related web sites have listed my contact info without me knowing it! There are over 1000 hits when I google my addy...not all of them applicable to me, tho'. Still, once the email harvesters nailed me during the 90s I imagine my addy has been and continues to be sold over and over again! Even a newer, always munged address receives about 10 spam/day. Again, other companies have unmunged it for their contact lists. The delete key and I are best buds!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
          Do you mean by writing dakine(at)something.com instead of using (@)?
          Any other ways?
          The first way works when posting in a forum.

The other way was when building the web page to do scripting or some such to create a working link, but since it was created only when the page was rendered in a browser, the spiders tended to overlook it.

Comment

Okay, thanks GeckoGeek.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Off topic....did you know that at the top of the Gmail Spam page, there are recipes for real Spam?
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                Best action is to report the posts to admin when you see them; faster than discussing it, ya know...
                Well, hot dang, whatta good idea!

Comment

Working...
                X