Super Bowl XLIII: Predictions and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Bowl XLIII: Predictions and Discussion

Kickoff is 1:20 on NBC, so do Scrivener's Sudoku in the Star-Bulletin first, before you've lubricated your throat too much. Any predictions?

Before I give mine, a little recap:
    For Super Bowl XL, I said Steelers over Seahawks by 11. Result? Steelers over Seahawks by 11.

For Super Bowl XLI, I said Colts over Bears by 12. Result? Colts over Bears by 12.

For Super Bowl XLII, I said Patriots over Giants by 10. Result? Giants over Patriots by 3. An anomaly, I hope.

For Super Bowl XLIII? As proven last year by the Giants, defense wins championships, especially in the championship game. The Cards are led by a great quarterback and they have the best big-play wide-receiver in the game, but they are more prone to mistakes, and capitalizing on mistakes is a Steelers defensive trademark. Steelers 27, Cardinals 20. The game won't be as close as the score, with the Steelers leading by 14 or more going into the fourth quarter; the Cards will score a final TD in garbage time. MVP: Troy Polamalu.

Write it down!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Super Bowl XLIII: Predictions and Discussion

I predict that not enough of Bruce Springsteen's half-time show will be televised to satisfy me.

Comment

Underdog trend continues, like my win against all odds in HT's 2007 NFL Football pool. Oh, and the NY Giants' win, too, of course.

I see Arizona 34, Pittsburgh 20.

Here's hoping that no one gets to six Super Bowl wins - before the 49ers do.
      Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Feb. 1st is my wife and I's 17th anniversary!
        So, being superstitious (only when it comes to football) I say...
        Steelers by 17 points!
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Offense beats defense. The Cards hits the blackjack and win by 21.

Comment

I only root for NFC teams so I'm betting on the Cards. The only time I would bet on an AFC team is if Dallas is playing (maybe sometime in the far distant future ). That's what happens when you're a 49'er fan!

as for a point spread - I'll let Pittsburg have 7 like everyone else seems to believe.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The big winner? NBC and the NFL of course. $3 millon bucks per 30 second commercial? Gosh, the game is almost an afterthought when you think about the $$$$$$ being spent on these spots. Hopefully the advertisers can get good ROI from their voluntary investments.

May the best team win, of course!
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                The big winner? NBC and the NFL of course. $3 millon bucks per 30 second commercial?
                One of the local advertisers in our area has purchased (I am not making this up) a half-second-long commercial.

Source

Comment

Local and regional commercials don't cost the same as the nationals but that half second ad is a riot! Can't remember where I saw it, but another advertiser is running a one second spot! IIRC, that's a national. So at $3M for :30, that's $100k to air that spot! The creativity might be remembered but will the name of the advertiser be remembered?!!!

This is a hugely stressful time of year for eldest spawn as she's in charge of buying Super Bowl air time for a couple of her clients. It's not as easy as calling NBC (which is the case this year) and saying..."Ok, I'll buy 2 30 second spots for 2 clients."!!!

My prediction? Hmmm...I'm going to a SB party tomorrow; one I always look forward to. The game will be projected on to a large, high ceiling, white wall on a sound stage! The host's wife gave birth last night to a 7 lb. 9 oz. little girl and the host is a HUGE Steelers fan. So, I predict the Steelers by 79 points! Or, if I used baby Anelalani's birthdate...the Steelers by 130 points! I also predict that the host won't be there!

Comment

Well. I was 4 points off but had the Steelers total right. I was wrong about it not being close; it was a great finish. I was right about a defensive score for Pittsburgh, but it was Santonio Holmes who got the MVP and not Troy Polamalu (who still had a great game!). Not my best showing; however, I was closer than any of you! Score another one for me!
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

i usually cheer for the underdog so i was hoping arizona would win somehow but that's not too important. what i can't understand is why the defender (who was up in the air for the final steeler's touchdown) pulled his arm down instead of reaching up for as long as he could to block or deflect the pass!!!

i was in shock!

i haven't read a single article online with any reference to that question so perhaps it's just me...

i'm not a big time football fan so it's silly of me to get a bit worked up over it; still, it's been driving me nuts for a while. i'll soon forget about it as soon as i can get my head focused on other things
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                        Here's hoping that no one gets to six Super Bowl wins - before the 49ers do.
                        Well, that didn't happen.

My only consolation: by picking Arizona, I woulda come up a winner with the points (+ 6-1/2 for Arizona, I believe).

Congrats, Scriv.
                        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Working...
                        X