Christian Bale: From Rant to Rave Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Bale: From Rant to Rave Music

If you don't know it by now, you'll know about a leaked audio of Christian Bale freaking out on one of the crewmembers on the Terminator: Salvation film set.

WARNING: The nearly four-minute audio contains profanity CLICK HERE.

Today, I found two remixes based on Bale's tirade...

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48
    2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oFjz6JfACk
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Re: Christian Bale: From Rant to Rave Music

I'm glad I never paid to see the new Batman movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
      I'm glad I never paid to see the new Batman movies.
      Meh. It's one of those things where you like one's work but dislike the person. Kinda like my own dealing with Tom Cruise and Michael Jackson.

He's way too intense. I don't know if that stems from what is being called the "Dark Knight Curse" or just the way he approach his acting performance.

Comment

I know a director who treated every crew member like that. I know another director who treat actors like that. I walked off the set of those 2 jobs. Too many nice people in this world to put up with a**h***s like that.

Comment

I loved him in American Psycho but noticed he hadn't changed his acting since. He's like Dirty Harry's wannabe-understudy.

pax

Comment

Is this f-ing rant more f-ing funny then the Lily Tomlin's on-set rant on I Love Huckabees?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              I know a director who treated every crew member like that. I know another director who treat actors like that. I walked off the set of those 2 jobs. Too many nice people in this world to put up with a**h***s like that.
              This is typical behavior in many of the top kitchens in Hawaii. Being in the food industry for 25years, chefs are really A-holes ,language like that is very common....BIG names do it too!
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

What will Bill O'Reilly say?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Seriously though, how big of a Hollywood production does it have to be before people do their job in a professional manner? I would think the DP, of all people, would know where he is and isn’t supposed to stand, let alone walk during a live scene. Whoopi Goldberg apparently agrees with me.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Can't wait to hear Christian's defense ... with Jay Leno.

Comment

The other side of the story:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39984

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        Seriously though, how big of a Hollywood production does it have to be before people do their job in a professional manner? I would think the DP, of all people, would know where he is and isn’t supposed to stand, let alone walk during a live scene. Whoopi Goldberg apparently agrees with me.
                        I completely agree that the DP goofed. And by the time a DP becomes a DP s/he has spent one heckuva lot of time on the set. The bigger question for me is if that goof deserved an over-the-top, 4 minute, out of control, profanity-laden tirade.

Mistakes happen because we, as humans, aren't perfect. I've seen similar mistakes on other productions. It just isn't the end of the world. Usually calling out the offending party, in front of the rest of the crew, with some kind of humorous statement is enough to embarrass him/her and teach 'em a lesson. If that crew member continues to make mistakes then...can him!

Bale's tirade only served to expose Bale as a total jerk, imho. That degree of anger was completely inappropriate. The punishment didn't come close to fitting the 'crime'.

Well...just my 2¢!

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          Can't wait to hear Christian's defense
                          Originally posted by Tiabla View Post
                          The other side of the story:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39984
                          Thanks for that link, Tiabla. I thought I’d pull some from the article, for those who chose not to read it:

The DP on TERMINATOR SALVATION, Shane Hurlbut, is a apparently a light tweaker. He's a fairly young DP and likes to fiddle with his lights on set during action, which is a big "NO NO" on most productions unless worked out in advance with performers. But apparently Shane was a pretty unrepentant light tweaker.

The scene in question, was a very emotional and tough scene between Christian Bale and Bryce Howard. A scene that required soul bearing and a deep level of immersive concentration. The sort of scene where everyone on set knows not to get in anyone's eye lines, and definitely not to move lights around while FILMING. You lock that shit down before the scene starts.
                          I think the point here is: this is a scene where the lead actor should never be forced to jump out of character, just to tell someone how to do his job. Under the circumstances, I think Hurlbut should just be thankful he wasn’t fired.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                            Under the circumstances, I think Hurlbut should just be thankful he wasn’t fired.
                            So, you don't think Hurlbut is gonna get his butt hurled?

Comment

I read the cited article a little while ago. It had not yet appeared when I was writing my reply. Like the other sites, this one is just one guy's opinion based on hearsay. He was not a witness. Still, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt figuring the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Now that I have insight into the bigger picture, it appears the DP should've been fired prior to the incident. "Quiet on the set.", "Roll camera." and "Roll sound." mean just that. Generally, crew members do settle in place at this point. Lights are locked off. If it's a moving dolly, jib or crane shot, actors need to learn to ignore the movement. That wasn't the case this time, I know. Tweaking lights happens between takes. Doing that during an actual take makes no sense to me except when it's necessary to the ambient light change that's integral to the scene. Of course, it's rehearsed with that movement and the actors are aware of it.

Still...I profess the punishment did not fit the crime. If, in fact, Bale had been bothered by the same infraction before, that was the time to address the situation with the director and the producer. When I see someone go off on the set all I can think of is...It's only an effing commercial (or movie!) We're not curing cancer. We're not feeding the hungry. We're not building homes for the homeless. Yada. Yada. We're making movies, be they 30 seconds or 3 hours. Mistakes will always be made. It's how we handle them that counts.

Comment

Working...
                              X