Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting a sustainable garden

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
    There's so much runoff from rain here. Most of it just goes straight to the sea, [...] There should be systems in place to capture that water and apply it toward irrigation and similar uses.
    Except that's the natural ecology of the streams. You alter that and you alter the habitat of the stream critters.

Comment

Re: Starting a sustainable garden

I grow all of my veggies here on Oahu in (huge) containers thanks to the simply awful clay soil in my yard but I had a big garden back in NY.
      If you are gardening with kids I would aim for crops that are sure to succeed---the kids will be so proud .
      Cucumbers are ridiculously easy to grow---buy seeds that are resistant to downy and powdery mildew and mosaic. Build inexpensive trellises for them by making wooden frames and stringing fishing line up and down the frames---the cukes will grab onto it and reward you with fat straight veggies by the carload. If space is a problem use a bush variety.
      Lettuce is another easy one. I like Manoa (Green Mignonette) lettuce here---easy to grow from seed (you get about 200 seeds per packet), slow to bolt, and can be picked at any time---you can peel the leaves as you want them or let them grow into nice heads.
      Tomatoes are pretty easy, especially the cherry varieties, but are prone to lots of mildew/fungus problems because of the humidity here. The birds like them too---all the bulbuls in the neighborhood know where my tomato plants are and I figure we are about one for one on the tomato harvest. I have bird netting but I haven't used it yet. Tomorrow...
      Tomato seeds are easily gathered and plants grow incredibly easily from those seeds---in fact, if a fruit rots on the vine and the seeds drop to the ground you are pretty much assured of a baby tomato plant. Scoop it up, put it in a pot, and in a few weeks you have a nice new plant.
      The fruit trees are a nice idea but are going to take time to get established. It will cost a bit to buy fruiting-sized citrus but it may be worth it. I have Meyer Lemon, Bearss Lime, and calamansi and they are all in (yes, HUGE) pots but are pretty much trouble free. With papaya you have to make sure that your soil has excellent drainage as they will drop dead within days if their feet get too wet. Spoken from experience.
      Green beans are another easy crop. You can grow the bush variety of these too, if you don't want to be bothered with bean poles.
      Don't forget herbs. Basil is always a favorite and really easy. If you let it go to seed you can collect the seed and just start again.
      If you grow mint keep it confined. It will take over your garden, your neighborhood, and will eventually become master of the universe if you let it run wild.
      Oh....another thing. Do NOT trust those little plant identifying labels if you get stuff from garden centers.
      I usually grow my own veggies from seed but I was seduced by the varieties in the excellent garden department at the Home Depot in town.
      Heh heh heh. They saw me coming.
      I got one pickling cucumber that was true to its label. I shall be making New York Jewish "new pickles" tomorrow. Just boiled the brine a few minutes ago.
      But the "Bush Cucumber"? Well, Jack....these plants are supposed to have vines that only spread about two feet, hence the "bush" moniker. They produce your average everyday cuke, six to eight inches long, green, etc.
      The vines on this baby are approaching six feet. The cukes are LONG, spiny, and all weird shapes. Curly. Cute, but definitely not as advertised. I've seen pics of these guys in seed catalogs.
      They are Chinese Longs. They also sold these at Home Depot. The old label switcheroo bit me in the butt, as it did a friend who found out her Improved Meyer Lemon tree was a lime tree.
      Cheapest mulch? Newspaper. Ugly, yeah, but it does the job.
      I like your ideas, especially working with the kids.
      Best of luck to you!

Comment

Working...
      X