Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

There is a bill in the legislature to ban lengthy tying up or chaining of a dog.

http://www.starbulletin.com/editoria...be_banned.html

"a Senate committee gave unanimous approval last week to a bill that would outlaw lengthy tethering of man’s best friend, a cruelty that is common in backyards throughout the state. The bill would make it a misdemeanor to tie a dog by chain, rope or other attachment to a doghouse, tree, fence or any other stationery object for more than three hours during a 24-hour period. Use of a running line, pulley or trolley system is among the exceptions."

According to the article, "Researchers reported in a 1994 edition of the journal Pediatrics that chained dogs are nearly three times more likely to bite than unchained dogs and more than five times more likely to bite children".

I think that tying up dogs makes them frustrated and unpredictable and mean. Do know people who do this? My idiot neighbors tie their dog for days.
    Yes, it should be banned
    65.22%
    No, it is OK to tie up dogs for days
    8.70%
    No, because I tie my dog up all day and night
    8.70%
    It would be hard to enforce, so why bother to try a ban
    17.39%
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    There is a bill in the legislature to ban lengthy tying up or chaining of a dog.

http://www.starbulletin.com/editoria...be_banned.html

"a Senate committee gave unanimous approval last week to a bill that would outlaw lengthy tethering of man’s best friend, a cruelty that is common in backyards throughout the state. The bill would make it a misdemeanor to tie a dog by chain, rope or other attachment to a doghouse, tree, fence or any other stationery object for more than three hours during a 24-hour period. Use of a running line, pulley or trolley system is among the exceptions."

According to the article, "Researchers reported in a 1994 edition of the journal Pediatrics that chained dogs are nearly three times more likely to bite than unchained dogs and more than five times more likely to bite children".

I think that tying up dogs makes them frustrated and unpredictable and mean. Do know people who do this? My idiot neighbors tie their dog for days.
    I had a dog who was tied up. Didn't want him to jump on any visitors, friend or foe.

Of course, one day he got loose and got hit by a car. Found out when I came home from school.

My tenants have a dog that is tied up. If not, I'd be forced to let them give her up.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

My dog sniffed crotches - because he didn't know how to shake hands.

He bit people who were aggressive, 'cause he couldn't punch or kick.

He barked,,, 'cause that's what dogs do.

He told lies ! He could open the fridge and I would catch him with a blob of butter on his nose. When asked what that was,,,, he would shake his head.

If the girls were fighting - then he would put one in in one corner of the room and the other oppossite.

Who says that they are not part of the family.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
        My dog sniffed crotches - because he didn't know how to shake hands.

He bit people who were aggressive, 'cause he couldn't punch or kick.

He barked,,, 'cause that's what dogs do.

He told lies ! He could open the fridge and I would catch him with a blob of butter on his nose. When asked what that was,,,, he would shake his head.

If the girls were fighting - then he would put one in in one corner of the room and the other oppossite.

Who says that they are not part of the family.
        Who would tie one of the family up ?????

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
          Who would tie one of the family up ?????
          I've seen toddlers on leashes.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I wouldn't want to meet a pit bull that's not on a leash.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              I wouldn't want to meet a pit bull that's not on a leash.

I've met plenty of pit bulls off leash. I've shared beds with them. I've cared for injured ones. I've never been bitten by a pit bull.

When I was growing up, we chained all our dogs. Dogs weren't allowed in the house. That just wasn't the way things were done.

The problem with chaining up dogs is that it leaves them vulnerable to any other animal or person that comes along. Dogs operate on fight or flight, which is why so many children get bitten by dogs on chains-- because the flight is no longer an option.

The debate of indoor dogs versus outdoor dogs is a hotly contended one. I'm of the opinion that a dog can live a perfectly happy life outside, as long as it is given plenty of human interaction. Some dogs just prefer being outside over being indoors. Overhead trolley systems are preferable over chaining to a tree or doghouse, and an enclosed fence is the best of all, because it protects the dog from other animals and/or people.

However, I'm not sure I agree with this ban. I don't think three hours is a realistic amount of time, and I agree that enforcement would be an issue. Honestly, it's one of those circumstantial things.
              Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
              Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

I feel the law is being pushed thru after decades of seeing owners chain up their pet and essentially forget about it. It has served it's original purpose as a fun 'thing' and now we're on to the next, or it's job is to maintain a presence on the property against thieves and nothing more, or whatever lame excuse for ignoring the animal's needs, like mere attention or affection, and many are not fed/watered regularly or sheltered sufficiently, or at all.

There are many who should simply not be allowed an animal.

I've long felt that pet ownership is a privilege and should be applied for, and laws strictly enforced, with more and tougher ownership laws. If the owner isn't worthy of the privilege then deny or recind it.
                We wouldn't be seeing much animal neglect/abuse if this were the case, nor would the SPCA be killing thousands of wonderful animals because there aren't enuf loving households to take them all.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Dogs do not like being tied on a chain/rope. Would you?
                  It is cruel, and insensitive.
                  A cable run can limit a dog's range without making it feel imprisoned.
                  A fenced area is more expensive, but even better for the dog.

Every time I've seen a dog chained or tethered to a tree, stake, etc, it is usually stretched out at the limit of the chain, choking itself. Is this how dogs try to suicide?

Dogs need attention, barking dogs are more often than not , begging for attention.

If you don't have the means to care for a dog properly, you shouldn't keep one.

If you're concerned about security, an electronic security system from Radio Shack (or some similar place) is cheaper in the long run.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                    The debate of indoor dogs versus outdoor dogs is a hotly contended one. I'm of the opinion that a dog can live a perfectly happy life outside, as long as it is given plenty of human interaction. Some dogs just prefer being outside over being indoors. Overhead trolley systems are preferable over chaining to a tree or doghouse, and an enclosed fence is the best of all, because it protects the dog from other animals and/or people.

However, I'm not sure I agree with this ban.
                    Why don't you agree with the ban? I don't get it.

First of all, the proposed legislation doesn't even talk about keeping a dog indoors or out. It just prohibits keeping a dog tied up to any stationary object for more than 3 hours. You yourself acknowledge that "Overhead trolley systems are preferable over chaining to a tree or doghouse." If you read the article carefully, you would see that the proposed legislation would make an exception for a dog kept on a trolley type system.

Knowing this, what would be the reason why you oppose the proposed ban?

In fact, I present that question to everyone on HT. What would be the reason you would give for opposing this proposed ban? I don't see how setting up a running line/trolley would present any kind of a financial hardship. If it does, then how can such a destitute owner afford to even offer a minimal level of care for his/her dog?

The owner says he has no time to set up a running line? Lord forbid our society would expect a dog owner to actually set aside a few hours time to show some responsibility for his pet!

Hard to enforce the law? Make a complaint to the authorities. All a police office/humane society personnel has to do is witness the dog being tied up, discreetly set up a surveillance/video camera..... and come back 3 hours later. Dog is still tied up in the same place? Issue the citation.

SHEESH!!! Did anyone think it would take a Lt. Columbo to wrap this case?
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; February 8, 2009, 07:28 PM.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Dogs can't live tied up any more than human beings can live tied up. That's the kind of animal they are.

If you can't give a dog a proper life, don't get one.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        Hard to enforce the law? Make a complaint to the authorities. All a police office/humane society personnel has to do is witness the dog being tied up, discreetly set up a surveillance/video camera..... and come back 3 hours later. Dog is still tied up in the same place? Issue the citation.
                        Set up a video? I think that's more work than the enforcement authorities are willing to do for this type of violation.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          Set up a video? I think that's more work than the enforcement authorities are willing to do for this type of violation.
                          I guess you would be the type to give up. OTOH, other people aren't afraid to make waves and complain to their councilman or even the mayor's office when the police aren't doing their job.

Try it, if the police are indifferent to complaints that you make. Works wonders. Worked like a charm for me when HPD wouldn't respond to complaints I made about people dumping old fridges and other bulky waste on our street corner.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Why don't you agree with the ban? I don't get it.

I don't agree with the wording of the ban-- like I said, it's a circumstantial. The wording of the ban says that any dog tied to a stationary object for more than three hours is illegal. Well, what if I'm going camping or to the beach for the day, and I want to bring my best friend and fellow family member with me? An overhead trolley might not be practical in this situation, but I hardly consider tying a dog up to a tree beside my tent so that he can enjoy the great outdoors with me, to be cruelty.

I would be in favor of the ban if it were more about the circumstances, ie, if it banned frequent or prolonged tethering of a dog.
                            Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                            Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

OTOH, other people aren't afraid to make waves and complain to their councilman or even the mayor's office when the police aren't doing their job.
                              Some other people, obviously.

If you disagree with me, take it up with the Humane Society. They're the ones proclaiming the bill as unenforceable.

Comment

Working...
                              X