Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
    Well, what if I'm going camping or to the beach for the day, and I want to bring my best friend and fellow family member with me?
    SB 30
    (b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), a person may:
    (2) Tether, fasten, chain, tie, or otherwise restrain a
    dog pursuant to the requirements of a camping or
    recreational area;
    I think that's covered.

Comment

I don't agree with the wording of the ban-- like I said, it's a circumstantial. The wording of the ban says that any dog tied to a stationary object for more than three hours is illegal. Well, what if I'm going camping or to the beach for the day, and I want to bring my best friend and fellow family member with me? An overhead trolley might not be practical in this situation, but I hardly consider tying a dog up to a tree beside my tent so that he can enjoy the great outdoors with me, to be cruelty.

I would be in favor of the ban if it were more about the circumstances, ie, if it banned frequent or prolonged tethering of a dog.
      Well, that's what trials are for. If you as a dog owner is cited but you have a perfectly legitimate explanation, then you can make your case to the judge.

BTW, just because certain places allow for dogs to accompany their owner on a leash on the beach does not mean that the owners are allowed to keep their dogs with them in the camping area. The Hawn. Humane Society lists beach parks where dogs are and are not allowed. Some places (like Bellows and Mokuleia) allow for dogs to walk below the high-tide line, but not above it. That would make it pretty hard to tie up your dog next to your tent.

http://www.hawaiianhumane.org/progra...ogbeaches.html
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        If you disagree with me, take it up with the Humane Society. They're the ones proclaiming the bill as unenforceable.
        I don't give a gnarled rat's okole what the HHS says. If that dog thethering law is passed and I can produce indisputable videotaped evidence of a violation, then it doesn't matter what the HHS says. I'll just give the evidence straight to the police. And the police will have to enforce the law. If they don't, then they are not doing their job.

Gecko, I would love for an uncooperative police officer to say that enforcing any law on the book is too much work for them, as you put it in a previous post. I would take down that officer's name and badge number,...... and there will be hell for them to pay. Unfortunately, most officers/dispatchers aren't that stupid and will think of a more palatable excuse. But with persistance and the right kind of "persuasion," HPD will have no choice but to enforce the law, or it's their butt that will be on the line.

Glad you're not on the police commission. If it's acceptable in your eyes for officers to selectively decide when to enforce or ignore legitimate complaints, then many of 'em will be spending a lot more time at Dunkin' Doughnuts.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I'm with Composite... if you don't have time to spend with a dog (thus you must tie it up) there's no reason whatsoever to have the thing.

Dogs are social animals. If you don't have the time to spend with your dog, get rid of it. Anything else is pure cruelty, and should be treated as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            If that dog thethering law is passed and I can produce indisputable videotaped evidence of a violation,
            Yes, if you want to set up the camera. Your earlier post suggested that "they" set up the camera.

Gecko, I would love for an uncooperative police officer to say that enforcing any law on the book is too much work for them, as you put it in a previous post.
            Let me re-phrase that - they don't have the time to enforce this workload intensive misdemeanor-level violation. Even if you handed them the tape, they'd have to take the time to review it. How many other complaints could they investigate in that time?

The HHS did suggest: "In a few states and municipalities, there are specific hours that a dog must be off-leash, and in some states, they have banned chaining completely."

Observe dog, look at watch, write citation. That would get done.

Comment

Well, that's what trials are for. If you as a dog owner is cited but you have a perfectly legitimate explanation, then you can make your case to the judge.
              Yeah. Except in court it is your sorry a-- word against a 'sworn officer of the law'. Good luck proving yourself. I can see it now - "Your Honor, my dog was tied outside for only two hours while my grandson was visiting, because he likes to pull the dog's tail, and we do not find that appropriate."
              Judge - "was your dog outside on a tether?"
              You - "yes."
              Judge - "this officer claims he saw your dog outside for more than thre hours, so, GUILTY."

And, really, what cop would be staking out a tethered dog when they could be busting iceheads, directing traffic, or hanging out at Dunkin Donuts?

I would take down that officer's name and badge number,...... and there will be hell for them to pay. Unfortunately, most officers/dispatchers aren't that stupid and will think of a more palatable excuse. But with persistance and the right kind of "persuasion," HPD will have no choice but to enforce the law, or it's their butt that will be on the line.
              Yep. Good luck with that one too.

In my opinion, a dog's place is outside. Tethered is better than roaming free - it keeps them out of traffic and harm.

Oh, and this poll doesn't have the right answers. It could include one that says "Its okay to tie up your dogs when the circumstances make it a good choice".
              Last edited by turtlegirl; February 9, 2009, 10:27 AM.
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                Yep. Good luck with that one too.
                No need to wish me luck. I made complaints about HPD's lack of enforcement in my neighborhood re: parking violations and rubbish dumping to my city councilman and the mayor in the past. Each time, I got a satisfactory response and prompt action from the police after I made written complaints and documented evidence of the violations.

Hey, if anyone chooses to suffer in silence while other people around them get away with breaking the law, they have only themselves to blame.

Comment

The bill is fatally flawed if it actually states that a dog can't be restrained for more than 3 hrs. That's stupid, and whomever is responsible for that inclusion should be named and grilled about such nonsense.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                    Oh, and this poll doesn't have the right answers. It could include one that says "Its okay to tie up your dogs when the circumstances make it a good choice".
                    The law is intended to address the problem of the habitual chaining of dogs. I do not believe that if someone has their dog chained for an afternoon while their yard is sprayed for bugs, or the grandchildren are visiting, that the police will be overly eager to write a citation.

So, yes there are the occasional circumstances that could necessitate an extended chaining, but if longer than one day it would be best for the dog to make a running line. And remember, running lines are acceptible in the bill.
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I haven't seen the purposed bill but I am surprised that there isn't some kind of cable/chain length provision in the bill. For instance if the length of the cable is 10 feet or less than 3 hours is the max. time you can tie up the dog. However if the length is 25 feet or more the dog can be tied up 8 to 10 hours.

Comment

I've met plenty of pit bulls off leash.
                        My grandfather was attacked by a pit bull when he was in his 80's. Luckily, he was from the old skool. He was one of those tuff old ojisan types who just got patched up by a doctor, was cutting weeds in the garden the next day, and didn't sue. I'm soft, I think I would have bleed to death.

Comment

And, really, what cop would be staking out a tethered dog when they could be busting iceheads, directing traffic, or hanging out at Dunkin Donuts?
                          I know. They're much too busy pulling over cars during rush hour on the H-1 and causing more traffic back-ups or passing out parking tickets in Lanikai even though you're not parked in a no-parking zone.

But on the other hand, it's revenue for the city. And so is giving tickets to tethered dogs. I mean, if they can tuck it in their collar, they probably will.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            My grandfather was attacked by a pit bull when he was in his 80's. Luckily, he was from the old skool. He was one of those tuff old ojisan types who just got patched up by a doctor, was cutting weeds in the garden the next day, and didn't sue. I'm soft, I think I would have bleed to death.

And I was attacked by a Japanese Akita when I was 5. Plenty of stitches, still have the scars although not in places I'd ever show you. Some dogs bite people, just like some people kill people, but that doesn't mean that any breed is bad.

And again, I don't necessarily disagree with the ban, just the wording of it.
                            Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                            Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

If you are interested, the bill is SB30. It has been referred to its last Senate committee. It needs to be finished with that committee by March 6, in order to be able to pass to the House.
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

There's a sweet pitbull mix on Lilipuna in Kaneohe and he's tethered all the time! I've never seen so much as a human being near this dog (except for me when I walked my dog when I lived in Kaneohe). There's a big bucket of food (that the birds eat) and he's left out there to rot. He never gets any social interaction. I want to cry every day when I see this dog. He's super friendly too. I could go up to him and he was so happy for the small amount of attention .. that he wanted to overwhelm me with love.

It's cruel to keep a dog tethered for more than 24 hours, even on a running line. This dog gets no exercise, no love, and gets abused by the rainy weather with no shelter.... Ugh.. makes me so mad that owners could be so cruel.

Comment

Working...
                                X