Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    If you are interested, the bill is SB30. It has been referred to its last Senate committee. It needs to be finished with that committee by March 6, in order to be able to pass to the House.
    It is scheduled for the final committee on 02-27-09 9:30am. If you want to submit testimony, today would the day to do so. Or to call the legislators (ie your Senator, and the Committee Chair).

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessio...-27-09_DM_.HTM
    Here is the link for the schedule, scroll down to SB30.
    At the very botton is the info on how to written submit testimony.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
      And I was attacked by a Japanese Akita when I was 5. Plenty of stitches, still have the scars although not in places I'd ever show you. Some dogs bite people, just like some people kill people, but that doesn't mean that any breed is bad.
      And I was attacked by a large French Poodle when I was 7. I literally had to have part of my face sewn back on. And I do believe that breed is evil.
      What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...=rss_localnews
        This is why people love their dogs. It's unconditional love.

Comment

Yes, many people really do love their dogs. But unfortunately, there are those who do not treat their dogs with love. Which is why there was seen the need to try and pass a law to at least make a dog's life comfortable (that is, not tied to a stake in the yard on a short chain 24/7).

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            Yes, many people really do love their dogs. But unfortunately, there are those who do not treat their dogs with love. Which is why there was seen the need to try and pass a law to at least make a dog's life comfortable (that is, not tied to a stake in the yard on a short chain 24/7).
            Indeed, that was the spirit of the anti-tethering legislation.

Dogs can't speak for themselves. Be that as it may, I think this poem sums up the feelings that perpetually chained dogs have.

Chained Dog’s Plea

I wish someone would tell me
            What it is that I’ve done wrong.
            Why do I have to stay chained up
            And left alone so long?
            They seemed so glad to have me
            When I came here as a pup.
            There were so many things we’d do
            While I was growing up.
            But now the Master “hasn’t time”
            The Mistress says I shed.
            She doesn’t want me in the house,
            Not even to be fed.
            The Children never walk me.
            They always say, “Not now.”
            I wish that I could please them.
            Won’t someone tell me how?
            All I had, you see, was love.
            I wish they would explain
            Why they said they wanted mine,
            And then left it on a chain.

-- By Edith Lassen Johnson
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Dogs can't speak for themselves. Be that as it may, I think this poem sums up the feelings that perpetually chained dogs have.
              Yes, a few well chosen words can say so much. If HTers will indulge me for going off topic of the thread, here is another impactful animal themed poem, for thought:

Paul Laurence Dunbar (1872-1906)
              Sympathy

I KNOW what the caged bird feels, alas!
              When the sun is bright on the upland slopes;
              When the wind stirs soft through the springing grass,
              And the river flows like a stream of glass;
              When the first bird sings and the first bud opes,
              And the faint perfume from its chalice steals —
              I know what the caged bird feels!

I know why the caged bird beats his wing
              Till its blood is red on the cruel bars;
              For he must fly back to his perch and cling
              When he fain would be on the bough a-swing;
              And a pain still throbs in the old, old scars
              And they pulse again with a keener sting —
              I know why he beats his wing!

I know why the caged bird sings, ah me,
              When his wing is bruised and his bosom sore,—
              When he beats his bars and he would be free;
              It is not a carol of joy or glee,
              But a prayer that he sends from his heart's deep core,
              But a plea, that upward to Heaven he flings —
              I know why the caged bird sings!

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                And I was attacked by a Japanese Akita when I was 5. Plenty of stitches, still have the scars although not in places I'd ever show you. Some dogs bite people, just like some people kill people, but that doesn't mean that any breed is bad.

And again, I don't necessarily disagree with the ban, just the wording of it.
                No breed is "bad" they are taught or trained into that behavior (or lack of right training).

Owning a dog is just like having a child. it's a lot of responsibility and takes time and money to support.
                website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                  No breed is "bad" they are taught or trained into that behavior (or lack of right training).

Owning a dog is just like having a child. it's a lot of responsibility and takes time and money to support.
                  LM, you got that right on! Kids/dogs/ - they learn what they are taught or what is modeled for them. Even wolves - wild wolf cubs - can be taught to be good dogs. I can't tell you how I know - I'd get someone arrested - so any dog can be trained.

Instincts are hard to overcome, however.

I had a "sweet" pitbull kill my last Himalayan cat, then came up and licked my hand.
                  A daschund I know will stick it's nose into any hole in the ground and bite whatever is there (a toad? OH NO!!!), but is otherwise a sweetie.

Dogs are bred for traits, but it's training that tells them when to exploit those traits, and when to stop.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Again !!!! I have got to disagree. I love all animals but have to say that cats make my my trigger
                    finger tritchy. No way would I harm them. Yet I don't like the way they jump on me and pucker me up. !

Comment

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3390683.html?menu=

I guess he puts the seat down.

Comment

My JRT was unleashed as a puppy, that is until one day while playing frisbee with him in our huge backyard, he bolted, chasing another dog up the street until he got to the dog's home where they eventually got into a fight.

Another time we came home to find our dog missing. Our neighbor up the road (not the same one) had him tied to one of her trees for his safety. Apparently he'd been running around the street chasing cars and almost got hit.

That's when I decided to put up a 60-foot dog run as opposed to fencing in my 41,000sq ft property. I guess putting up a dog run was a compromise between the cost of fencing vs the cost of a dead dog.

The problem with this law is the fact that in Honolulu putting up one of these runs may not be possible with the small size of lots there.

Most dog owners that do tie up their dogs typically do take them out for exercise but when they're not home to supervise their animals, they gotta be secured whether it be a kennel or tied up for their own safety and the safety of those around them.

But to put a ban on tying up dogs isn't the right answer. It makes criminals for those who are doing it for safety reasons. Cats are unleashed right now and look at the problems they create! I got two of them and they roam freely. They also roam on our roof, around the neighbor's yard chasing rats and even cross the street as they hunt for coquies. Imagine a dog doing some of those things? My JRT is small and very friendly. So friendly, anyone can go up to him and take him away. If he's enticed to leave the property with food he'll go. By securing him he can't leave, and anyone who enters my property to take PJ will be doing so illegally.

This ban needs to be dropped. Instead dog owners need to be educated on the treatment of their pets. There is a difference between cruelty to animals and preserving the safety of the community for which that dog is a member of. A balance must be struck between the two. A ban isn't such a balance, education is.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Bravo! The more restrictive our laws, the less freedom we enjoy. That freedom, my friends, is the freedom to act in a manner inconsistent with what someone else deems 'common sense', reason or optimal behavior. If little leeway is allowed for behavioral variation, how can we evolve optimal systems of behavior?
                          Last edited by salmoned; July 16, 2009, 12:25 PM.
                          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

What a ban? OPPOSED!

The the owner make the choice. There are already laws for extreme circumstances.

Comment

Get "Animal Cops" out there. I'm sure my dogs are sick of watching "Animal Cops: Houston" and "Animal Cops: Miami." Sounds like it's time for an "Animal Cops: Honolulu."

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                                What a ban? OPPOSED!

The the owner make the choice. There are already laws for extreme circumstances.
                                Common sense are the key words for eliminating bans. Alohakine when you smoke common sense tells you to be put it out when smoke becomes an irritant to those within your proximity. That applies to everything we do, like not using the leaf blower at 5am, or quieting a barking dog.

Bans are put in place when common sense cannot be self-regulated and the law must step in.

Nobody likes to be told what they cannot do, but if we adhere to common sense the government wouldn't have to intervene. Common sense tells dog owners that they must get their dogs out for daily walks. Common sense tells smokers to put it out if the smoke is bothering those around them. Common sense says that if it's not bothering you, then let the guy smoke! It's his life not yours to regulate.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X