Microwave ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microwave ovens

I am kind of thinking of getting a microwave oven for my place since it doesn't have that appliance in the apartment I am renting. Any tips or things to watch out for buying such a unit which would be a counter top unit as opposed to having one mounted under some shelf space?

Thinking of using to heat up frozen prepared foods.

Re: Microwave ovens

Originally posted by helen View Post
    I am kind of thinking of getting a microwave oven for my place since it doesn't have that appliance in the apartment I am renting. Any tips or things to watch out for buying such a unit which would be a counter top unit as opposed to having one mounted under some shelf space?

Thinking of using to heat up frozen prepared foods.
    Measure the space where you want to put the oven on your countertop. Make sure the outlet to plug the oven in is nearby.

Get a 1 cubic foot capacity oven with turntable (at least 11-12 inches). That way you have room for the popcorn bag to pop, otherwise, you'd be folding the ends so it won't get stuck inside the corner of the oven.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I found mine on Craigslist for super cheap and it works great!
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Good choice, helen! A microwave is great; it is a much-used appliance at our house. Ours measures 13 inches deep x 18 in wide x 11 in tall; it's a used Sharp Carousel we got at the Salvation Army store. The price was right, and it fits on my tiny condo counter with a little room to spare. My toaster oven sits on top of it.

The inside has a turntable and measures 12 wide x 11.5 deep x 8 deep (inches, that is.) I can only fit things no bigger than a dinner plate. Popcorn bag, can. Baking dish of most varieties, cannot because it gets caught and won't turn around. But if it's just for reheating plates and such, it is a perfect size.

(My favorite microwave tip for new users: the best thing is reheating leftovers, but don't reheat in styrofoam. Invest in some microwavable plasticware and/or china or pottery dishes, and always use a potholder to take stuff out. It can be surprisingly hot, esp in the center. Make sure to stir stuff up before you put it in your mouth!)

Comment

Helen, I think you're a great candidate for a MW!

ETA: Cyleet brings up a good point about the turntable. I believe MW turntables can be bought separately so if you get a MW without one you'll have the option of using a turntable if and when you want to. They do come in handy but not for everything.
          Last edited by tutusue; February 11, 2009, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Just be aware of the power it has, as some newer ones will zap the food and container into splattered carbon in no time at all, not like the older ones that took about a minute to heat something up.

Your idea of heating up pre-made frozen food is one of my favorite uses, like baggied soup for light weight late night hungries instead of really
            chowing down just prior to bed time.
            But a bowl of hot water does the trick as well, just takes longer.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Getting one with a turntable is a good idea.

I'd check the instructions on the foods you like. The ones I use have the instructions written for a 1100 Watt oven. It can be done with less, but then you have to experiment.

Since you rent, I'd got with a on-counter one. Fewer hassles with the landlord.

Because a MW takes a lot of power, it pretty much needs a circuit (not just a power outlet) to itself. Certainly you can't share with another heating device (coffee pot, toaster oven, etc. unless you take care to only use one at a time.)

As far as brands, I think Panasonic is well rated. Their better models use an inverter to establish a true power level. Lesser units just cycle full power on and off to get lower "power".

Comment

I've got a microwave and I bought a browing dish to come with it. I reckon it's a useful tool (Think I spent £15 on the browning dish) I use the micro a lot for different recipes and reasons.

I stayed with a friend in Lime Street off McCully in the Condo >>> Recently.
                Honolulu >>>

Cockroaches could be seen behind the time switch. I left and booked into a hotel on Kuhio.

Just can't stand bugs.

Comment

We found a MagicChef convection microwave oven a couple years ago from a Craigslist seller. It's a 45-pound first-generation appliance and too heavy to mount under a cabinet, but the second generation should be lighter and have better mounting options.

The difference is faster cooking (& browning) as well as microwaving in a volume that's about one-eighth the space of our conventional oven. Can't cook a 26-pound turkey in it but 10 pounds fits just fine. Very good with brownies too.

You might also want to get a Fasta Pasta cooker and their recipe book. We hardly ever heat a pot of water on the stove anymore, although I still need to experiment with ramen.
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Arrgh! I wish I'd known that two weeks ago! We just dumped a perfectly good one with friends who will never use it because we couldn't take it with us. They have already sold it. If I'd known, I would have given it to you!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Don't worry about it surlygirl I was planning on buying a new one anyway sometime next month or so. I am not really in a rush and like Random suggested I should measure the space I am planning on putting the microwave and checking out the outlets.

While at Wal-Mart yesterday I did look at a couple of models and both of them have like 3 foot power cords. That might be an issue with me if most of the microwave ovens have that length of power cord.

Comment

I just bought an Emerson MW oven from Wal-Mart. It has an optional heating element that is supposed to brown your food if desired. In actual practice, it is a pain to use and not worth the extra dollars I paid. The MW oven itself is surprisingly good as compared to an expensive Panasonic that I had previously.(which died) If I were to buy another MW oven, I would pick an Emerson with turntable but no browning element. The price is right and the unit works well.

Comment

I own 2 Sunbeam Express Meals...a toaster/broiler/microwave/conventional oven. It performs all those functions very adequately for my needs. If one is used to the new fangled, computerized, speed demons one would hate the Sunbeam!!! I've owned both for 18 years and had one repair in all that time. Two dials, one for temp, one for time. So simple. I wonder if Sunbeam stopped making them because they were too reliable! The SEM has been and continues to be my favorite appliance. Sorry it's not available to you, Helen.

Comment

While at Wal-Mart yesterday I did look at a couple of models and both of them have like 3 foot power cords. That might be an issue with me if most of the microwave ovens have that length of power cord.
                            They put short cords on kitchen appliances so people cannot drap the cord across a walkway, trip on the cord, and end up getting splattered with hot food.
                            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Helen, hopefully you'll get that microwave...wiki wiki!
                              Right now I am not in any rush to get one, mainly because I am still in the process of cleaning my place up. At this point in time I am leaning towards a compact microwave instead of mid-size or a full size unit since it's only me and I suspect I might be heating things up like small pizzas or burritos.

At first glance the only outlet available is a power strip that also powers the TV, cable, DSL modem, VCR, DVD and the answering machine.

Comment

Working...
                              X