Microwave ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Microwave ovens

Helen, do you not have another outlet in your kitchen? I don't think you want to plug the MW into the already loaded power strip...unless you unplug the power strip, plug in the MW, unplug it after it's use, then replug the power strip. Of course, that'll mess up any clocks on other electronics.

It doesn't sound like you'll need a full size MW. But, if you think there's a chance that you'll ever nuke a regular size pizza, you might want to measure the size of the box and keep that measurement handy when you finally do decide to buy that appliance. Of course, you can always cut a full size pizza in half first!

Just a thought...others have mentioned buying 2nd hand MWs. Have you considered doing that to see how much you use it, where it fits best and convenience of the interior size?

Comment

Re: Microwave ovens: fuse replacement

Just wanna' point out if you have a microwave oven that one day mysteriously doesn't power on, nor does the digital display light up, it's mostly likely a burnt-out fuse. Very easy to repair.

Unplug the microwave's power cord, then remove the metal housing that covers the top, sides and/or back part. Usually the screws are on the bottom sides, in the back and/or underneath. The fuse is usually located on a small circuit board with wires that lead to the power cord coming in through the back. It looks like this, and is held in by two metal clips. You might need a screwdriver or needlenose pliers to help pry it out if the clips are tight.

Most microwaves use a special type of ceramic fuse that you can find at hardware or electronics stores. Bring the burnt out one with you so can match the size, amps and voltage. It'll say for microwaves on the package. Replace the fuse then put back the housing and you're on your way to more microwave popcorn and hot leftovers.

I bet there's a lot of folks who's had this happen and they just wrote off the microwave as broken and tossed it. If they only knew how simple the fix is.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I've actually replaced high voltage caps and rectifiers in them. My mom finally retired her first microwave a few years back. It was so old it had a mechanical "digital" timer. I don't know why she finally replaced it. The inside was starting to rust, so I don't think anyone would want it.

I'd like to find a home for my JC Penny microwave. Big monster, but it still runs. I really, really hate to throw working things out.

I do like a Panasonic inverter model I've used. Other microwaves just cycle on/off at full power for "half power". The inverter has a true "half power".

Comment

Picked up a GE .7 cubic foot microwave (model #:JES738WJ) from Wal-Mart yesterday for around $60 (which includes the tax).

Comment

Helen, the one you bought is only 700 watts, while most microwaves are 1,000 or 1,200 watts. Ergo, you'll have to cook things longer. Check the packaging on things and see what the suggested time is. Most of them will say that the listed time is for a 1,000 or 1,200 watt unit, so you'll need to make adjustments.
            I assume you bought that one because it's small?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Well done Helen Welcome to micro city. The one I've got is an 800. It cost me about £30 a few years ago. I find it works perfectly and I just follow the recipes and times in the book.
              Us Brits are on 240 volts which is higher than the US of A. Would that make a difference in the timing ? Somebody techy on here will know.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                Us Brits are on 240 volts which is higher than the US of A. Would that make a difference in the timing ? Somebody techy on here will know.
                Watts is watts. Even on the other side of the pond.

Twice the voltage at half the amps = same watts.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  I assume you bought that one because it's small?
                  Yes, plus it's weight and the fact that it can handle 3 different sizes of popcorn bags (3.5 ounce, 3 ounce and 1.75 ounce bags) and the cost of the unit were the reasons why I purchased this unit.

The other misadventure to this tale was that I only had 6 inches seperating the end of the microwave's power cord to the power strip I wanted to use, however I found out I could move the power strip (and the cords that go with it) up a shelving unit so that the microwave could be plugged in.

Now that I got a microwave, any cooking related stuff should go in the thread titled Cooking with a microwave oven in the KauKau Korner sub-forum, while this thread is in the Circuit Circus sub-forum should focus on the various models and features of the Microwave ovens themselves.

Comment

Helen , I think it's recommended that microwave ovens NOT be plugged into power strips but instead into a grounded (3 prong) outlet on the wall. Please be careful?
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The power strip itself is plugged into a 3 prong outlet and can handle 3 prong power cords as well. The other devices that are connected to it are the TV, VCR, DVD, cable box, DSL modem, clock and answering machine.

So far it hasn't tripped the circuit breaker which gives another reason for going for a lower powered microwave unit.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        [...]The other devices that are connected to it are the TV, VCR, DVD, cable box, DSL modem, clock and answering machine.[...]

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                          The power strip itself is plugged into a 3 prong outlet and can handle 3 prong power cords as well. The other devices that are connected to it are the TV, VCR, DVD, cable box, DSL modem, clock and answering machine.
                          Sounds like a dorm room. (While I have all my stuff plugged into 3 different outlets, everything is on one breaker - so I'm not much better off. Stupid 1970s studio.....)

Yeah, if you're all crunched together like that, a lower power oven might be a good idea. The higher powered ones you just about need to put on a circuit by themselves or you might trip a breaker.

Comment

Working...
                          X