Is the Zipper Lane working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Zipper Lane working?

I dunno. I travel to the Leeward side to work every morning, and more often than not, we encounter bumper-to-bumper traffic originating from the H-2 on-ramp. And today, there was a stupid accident near the Sears Distribution Center that back up traffic all the way to the Stadium. It's always the Sears Distribution Center. Maybe we ought to get rid of it, then no one will be crashing into each other. Yeah, that's it! It must be jinxed. Actually, the main problem is that the zipper lane takes away 2 lanes heading to Waianae, leaving only 1.

Meanwhile, I don't see very many people using the zipper lane. And the regular traffic lanes, for the most part, is still moving at a good pace.

I'm having to leave home earlier and earlier. Whut dah h*ll! Sooner or later, they're gona have to scrap the whole idea.

Re: Is the Zipper Lane working?

Did they already enact the 3 persons rule for the zipper?
    Some said that would lead to this.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

A permanent "zipper lane" is being planned in the near future. That way only one lane is lost in the opposite direction instead of two.

However, I wonder what kind of mess will be created when there's a rear-end accident in those lanes. Getting tow trucks and other emergency response vehicles to the location would be very difficult, if not impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
        A permanent "zipper lane" is being planned in the near future. That way only one lane is lost in the opposite direction instead of two.

However, I wonder what kind of mess will be created when there's a rear-end accident in those lanes. Getting tow trucks and other emergency response vehicles to the location would be very difficult, if not impossible.
        Do the plans include a shoulder lane? If not, you're right, any snarl up and it would be a nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post

If they relocate the median, then it's possible. Thing is, the zipper lane is only needed during rush hour, and traffic heading toward Ewa Beach/Kapolei will increase more and more as the 2nd city is being developed. It would also screw up traffic that is already heavy going in the Ewa direction during the evenings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            Did they already enact the 3 persons rule for the zipper?
            Some said that would lead to this.
            Yup! Although I still see a lot of vehicles with only two people.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
              If they relocate the median, then it's possible. Thing is, the zipper lane is only needed during rush hour, and traffic heading toward Ewa Beach/Kapolei will increase more and more as the 2nd city is being developed. It would also screw up traffic that is already heavy going in the Ewa direction during the evenings.
              There will be walled-off contra-flow lanes in both directions. So in the evenings there will be an additional lane headed toward Waianae with one less lane headed Waikiki.

Don't know about the shoulder lane. I only know what I saw in recent news reports, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
              X