Aloha Corky Trinidad -- 1939-2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha Corky Trinidad -- 1939-2009

Star-Bulletin cartoonist Corky Trinidad visited my high school in 1970 and said so many encouraging things about my cartoons in the student newspaper that I ditched a planned career in archaeology and instead became a newspaperman. So he's to blame! Over the last four decades, Corky has not only been a friend and mentor, he has also been -- in the best sense of the word -- a colleague.

Happy trails, old friend.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Re: Aloha Cork Trinidad -- 1939-2009

I'm sorry about his passing. His artwork showed a humorous side to a slice of life in Hawaii.

Comment

I love Corky's work. I never met him but my fondest memory is from the early 1990s. Bassist/friend/goofy guy, Jerry Rausch, passed away waaaaay before his time. Kit Samson, who's band Jerry played in, put together a compilation cassette tape from their ongoing gig at the old Kahala Hilton's Maile Lounge. Corky designed the cassette case's jacket. It was brilliant. I still have that cassette. It's a treasure.

RIP, Corky, and my condolences to Corky's family and friends.

Comment

Very sad to hear of his passing. I can still remember the first time I met him when he was a judge at a UH Journalism Day competition for high school students. Very talented artist. Usually funny, sometimes controversial. But that's what seperates a good editorial cartoonist from a comic strip artist.

My sympathies to Corky and his ohana. He will be missed.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

What a shame!

He always nailed it.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Corky's cartoons could spur newsrooms to chase a story or politicians to react. He was funny, intelligent and talented. But besides all that he had the greatest smile in the world. I really wished he worked out of the newsroom so I could have seen his shining face more often. As it was I only saw him when we were meeting as union members.

Godspeed Corky, you were the best.

Comment

Advertiser's covering it as well:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...01/90213025/-1

My condolences to his family, especially to his son Lorenzo, a really nice guy and who always greets people with a smile when they come into the Bulletin's offices.

Aj

Comment

My condolences to his friends and family

Comment

A drawing is worth a thousand words.

Comment

My heart fell when I saw this thread. One of the things that suck about getting older is see all the people you looked up to pass away.

I remember reading Aloha Eden back in the 70's. I think I've got that book and Nguyen Charlie around somewhere.

So long Corky.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      Advertiser's covering it as well:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...01/90213025/-1

My condolences to his family, especially to his son Lorenzo, a really nice guy and who always greets people with a smile when they come into the Bulletin's offices.
                      Such sad news. A true island treasure has been lost. And yes, Lorenzo (or Larry, as I knew him in high school) is an amazing person with considerable artistic talent, as well.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        Such sad news. A true island treasure has been lost. And yes, Lorenzo (or Larry, as I knew him in high school) is an amazing person with considerable artistic talent, as well.
                        Lorenzo is one of the greatest friends I've made since moving to Hawaii. He has great talent, wit and humility. We both have much in common. Heck we both used to be goths!

I've only ever seen Corky twice or three times in the newsroom in the two and a half years I have worked for the Star-Bulletin. But seeing how he was, and knowing his long history, it's easy to see how Lorenzo turned out to be such a gentleman and a scholar.

Corky's legacy lives on through his family as well as his timeless work.
                        ---
                        Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Re: Aloha Corky Trinidad -- 1939-2009

Rest in Peace Corky Trinidad.

Lynn Vasquez-Dela Cerna
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

KHNL covered the funeral mass -- and identified Star-Bulletin writer Richard Borreca as Advertiser Editor Jerry Burris.

Hey! Burris is no longer an Advertiser editor!

Oh yeah, he's not Richard Borreca either.
                            Burl Burlingame
                            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

In today's StarBulletin's Op Eds, Manny Trinidad, Corky's son, expresses his surprise at the amount of coverage and caring shown at his father's service.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                              X