This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 5

Nice shots as always Jim. It might be my laptop display, but I notice that some shots seem unnaturally saturated - like the one 3rd one of the bay.

Comment

WOW, I can't say enough about all the photos posted here in the last few days...makes my little collection look paltry! But I love 'em just the same! You guys are awesome photographers...

I couldn't get over Arch Rock--WOW!That is so fantastic! Keep posting, everyone!!

Comment

I'm surprised at the number of raves about the Arch Rock shots. They're just simple snapshots. I'm nowhere near the skill level of many of the others here! Thanks for the kind words, though.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          Nice shots as always Jim. It might be my laptop display, but I notice that some shots seem unnaturally saturated - like the one 3rd one of the bay.
          Yeah, I sometimes over-saturate. Part of it is just that I like highly saturated colors. Greater emotional impact. I'll push them just as far as I can. There's a point you can cross into too much color. The south point pick is one of them. I had done a lot of processing trying to get it right. Due to the challenging light of the scene, it would have been a good candidate for the Photomatix treatment I'll describe below. I was in a hurry that night so I posted it anyway. Another factor is that smugmug seems to reduce the saturation and/or contrast just a little bit in their processing when you upload. As a result what looks nicely saturated and contrasty in my editing program then looks slightly washed out on smugmug, so I pump them up pretty good before I upload to smugmug. Finally, as you mentioned, differences in monitors and how they are set to display makes a big difference. Plus, with LCD monitors, if you are looking directly perpendicular at the surface of the monitor it will be more contrasty and saturated than if you are looking at the monitor from an angle above center.

Here's a pic from Kahalu'u taken the same night as the one with the palms I posted just recently. I made it by doing a psuedo high dynamic range process using a trial version of Photomatix. I took the original in raw/NEF format and then brightened it up and darkened at about +/-2 stop intervals and saved five different versions as .tiff files. Then I ran them into Photomatix for tone mapping. Photomatix combines the information and lets you, to a certain degree, select how it will contribute to the final picture. What you can't see from this pic is that without this process the picture would have either been so dark in the foreground you couldn't see the girls or rocks or the sky would have to have been completely blown out. I could've toned the color down on this one, but I like the emotion the colors bring out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
            Yeah, I sometimes over-saturate. Part of it is just that I like highly saturated colors. Greater emotional impact. I'll push them just as far as I can. There's a point you can cross into too much color.
            I agree - it's just that one went too far.

Another factor is that smugmug seems to reduce the saturation and/or contrast just a little bit in their processing when you upload.
            Well that sucks! Maybe I should cross smugmug off my list to consider. I'm fine with compressing my own photos to what's needed, but I'm not happy about anyone doing it for me.

Photomatix
            Ohhhhhhhh, I think that's the answer to some of the challenges I've had. Thanks! Love that shot!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              I agree - it's just that one went too far.[...]
              Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                They're just simple snapshots. I'm nowhere near the skill level of many of the others here!
                There's value to being there and taking the shots no one else does. The before and after shots make for a dramatic contrast.
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
                  Depends on what you're going for. When overdone, it takes on a plastic or CGI feel. Seemed out of place for that shot. But as I disclaimed, it depends on the monitor too.

Comment

Here's one of Kailua from about half way up to the pillbox on the first of December.

Comment

Awesome, Jim! Simply awesome!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Let us know when you make the coffee table book, Jim. I'll buy a couple.

Comment

Good grief, that opihi is the size of a small abalone. Does it taste as good sauteed in a little garlic butter?
                          I'll have to try that. I'm substandard at cooking. I used it along with others as a pizza topping.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                            Let us know when you make the coffee table book, Jim. I'll buy a couple.
                            I'm counting on the book being ready in time for Christmas 2009 gift giving!
                            Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                            I'll have to try that. I'm substandard at cooking. I used it along with others as a pizza topping.
                            Opihi as a pizza topping? Really? How do you prepare the opihi for this unusual (to me) use?

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                              Opihi as a pizza topping? Really? How do you prepare the opihi for this unusual (to me) use?
                              Smoked, knowing the poster...

Comment

Jim, you always have the most amazing photos. Brilliant colors. It makes me reluctant to even post in here, but here are a few from my recent trip to Japan.

According to the placard, this memorial houses the original flame that was collected from some wreckage in the bombing of Hiroshima. What I'd originally taken for leis (I've been in Hawaii too long) are actually strings of paper cranes.

I was there in time to see the sakura blooming. It was funny to see people clustered around the blooms with cameras in hand.

This was at the Meguro Parasitological Museum, which was really interesting, if a bit disgusting. Unfortunately(?) all of the information was in Japanese.
                                Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                                Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Working...
                                X