This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 5

Three more of the whales. Two together. A juvenile male barrel rolling and giving us the whale shaka. Third is the head of a whale that breached and is falling back into the water. We saw two breach completely out of the water. It happens fast and you don't know where it's going to happen. That's a shot I definitely want to take. I'll have to go back and try again.

Comment

Day's end on Maui. A hardship . . . I know. But someone has to experience it.

Rounding Diamond head on the way back.

Finally, unloading off the Ferry. Hope that wasn't too many pics at one time.

Comment

awesome photos jim!

i especially like the detail in the diamond head shot.

Here's one from Waimea Canyon

website - http://www.brianhancock.com
        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Hey, Jim...I take it 'mal de mer' is not an issue with you!!!

I think a coffee table book of HT's greatest photos is definitely in order.

Comment

Absolutely SUPERB Jim, so many memories brought back. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Wow! Such incredible photos!

Thank you to all of you for sharing.

Beautiful, beautiful ... I'll have to slowly walk thru them all again
              If standing up, please hold on. Sudden stops are sometimes necessary - Da Bus

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                We went to Pearl Harbor one morning. The 30 minute movie you watch before they take you to the memorial is very moving.
                During the movie, while listening to the narrator, I kept thinking, "Damn, she has a sexy, sultry voice. Worth the price of admission!"

;_D
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Great photos as always, everyone! We've got some really talented shooters here.
                  Some of you really enjoy shooting ocean waves, so I encourage you to check out North Shore resident Clark Little's website at this link.
                  His most famous recent photo is this one. I hear it's being displayed in the Wyland galleries now.
                  Click on Clark's website's Gallery section to see thumbnails of several dozen amazing wave photos. (And heads up -- when you click on a thumbnail to enlarge it and then click back, it always takes you to page one for some reason.)
                  His photos are inspiration for the rest of us. Go shoot 'em, folks!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I saw a couple of Clark Little's photos featured on a national TV show recently. Might've been the 4th hour of the Today Show but I'm not sure.

Unbelievable wave shots!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Jim, have you thought about self-publishing a coffee table book of your all time hits? I'd buy it.
                      DITTO, Tutu! I'd buy it also! Jim, you are sooooooo good. I love your work. It's incredible.

My dad's a photographer... great technical work, but he doesn't have "the eye" like you do.

Many thanks for the hours of enjoyment your photos have given me. I look at them again and again, and always see something new.

Comment

Another round of thanks for your great work, Jim. I know just where you were; hubby and I stayed on the Kahului side last month, watched the sun on Molokai and saw a little whale activity. We didn't get the chance to boat out to see them; next year.

Don't worry; you never post too many.

Comment

WOW! Just incredibly beautiful!
                          Reiteration... I love this thread.
                          Mahalos
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Yesterday there were record-setting waves on the windward coast from Kualoa Point up to Turtle Bay. Where you usually see waves no more than about 3' high, they were 15' to 18'+ yesterday! (And a few in the 25' to 30' range!)
                            The reef is several hundred yards out along that part of the coast, so the water inside the reef is usually pretty darned flat. But yesterday water and debris washed across Kam Highway in a whole bunch of places, snarling traffic; many of the oceanfront homes had yards full of flotsam and jetsam.
                            High tide was late in the afternoon, and I drove up the coast to take a look-see. Most impressive was Arch Rock, off of Laie Point. Lots of folks there, and all the locals young and old said they'd never seen anything even close to this.
                            You may recall a few photos of Arch Rock I posted back in January, like these two (and the ocean was rougher than normal that day!):

And this one also from January; the guy fishing gives some perspective on the height of Arch Rock, which is roughly 30' to 40' high:

Compare those two to the following photos taken yesterday afternoon. In this first one, look at the huge wave off the left end, and the spray (it's not clouds) going up 70' or so on the right end:

Also note the rock piles on top of Arch Rock (to the left of the arch) in the top two photos, and that they're missing in the third photo. A cop friend told me that several waves had washed completely over the top of Arch Rock!

More to follow...

Comment

This is the right end of Arch Rock, and again that's all spray(70' to 80' high), not clouds:

Here a wave (not spray) is completely washing over the right end of Arch Rock, and you can barely see the top of the arch because of another wave in front of it:

And one more:

Pau.

Comment

CAPITOL SIZE 100 FONT

WOW!

Awesome captures, especially for that side! Thanks for sharing! I love the hundreds of little waterfalls off the right side in the last pic!
                                flickr

An email from God:
                                To: People of Earth
                                Date: 9/04/2007
                                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                                God

Comment

Working...
                                X