Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 5

Default Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 5

Sophie--I love your pics! DS wants to know if that is the Sadako Memorial; he just finished the book in school.

I bet there are a lot of photographers in Washington DC doing the same with the cherry blossoms there.

Looks like you had a pretty "crabby" day in the last pic!

Quote Originally Posted by sophielynette View Post
    here are a few from my recent trip to Japan.
    Great shots, Sophielynette! Post more and tell us about Japan. The folded bird leis are amazing and the crab cabinet is interesting too. I've been at the Kona airport a lot lately and they have a recorded message in Japanese. It goes on and then at a certain point she says "Fats Domino" and continues from there. It makes me smile every time.

The first two of these are taken on the beach just to the left of the research/fishing pier past Waimanalo one night after work this week. The first is a high-dynamic-range treatment via Photomatix. It's over-the-top because I'm just learning how to do this process. Still, it makes for an interesting photo. The third was just a grab shot from the top of the parking garage at Ala Moana Shopping Center last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim75 View Post
    The first two of these are taken on the beach just to the left of the research/fishing pier past Waimanalo one night after work this week. The first is a high-dynamic-range treatment via Photomatix. It's over-the-top because I'm just learning how to do this process. Still, it makes for an interesting photo.
    Love 'em. So artsy.
    The third was just a grab shot from the top of the parking garage at Ala Moana Shopping Center last night.[...]
    The recently torched Buti Groove looks none the worse for wear! Probably looks quite different in daylight, tho'.

The first is a high-dynamic-range treatment via Photomatix. It's over-the-top because I'm just learning how to do this process. Still, it makes for an interesting photo.

Yes, very interesting. Looks kind of like a photo-realistic painting.

I really love the effect of the slow shutter speed on the waves, Jim. The retouched one reminds me of something you'd see on the cover of a fantasy novel.

Cyleet-- I can't remember the name of the memorial, all I know is that I found it in Ueno Park in Tokyo.

I've posted a lot more photos on my blog and I plan on doing something of a writeup on my trip there as soon as I can get back into a writing groove. But here are a few more photos, all taken with my iPhone.

These two were taken at the Jindai-Ji temple in Mitaka. My friends and I went there after we visited the Ghibli museum (which was amazing, but doesn't allow photos.)

These lanterns were outside the Senso-ji temple in Asakusa. There's an entire complex of streets lined with shops and food vendors. My hostel was not far from there and I ended up visiting on numerous occasions.

Excellent pics, SophieLynette! Great compositions. I particularly like the one of the paper lanterns. You're iPhone takes great photos. I'm guessing the ribbons on the fencing are prayer ties. You see things like that in photos from Nepal and Tibet, too. The Lakota Sioux in the Black Hills of South Dakota also offer prayer ties and tobacco ties on tree branches at sacred sites.

Haven't been to this thread in a few days and am always impressed with the new photos I see. I particularly like the "grab shot" from Ala Moana Shopping Center's parking garage. Nicely done Jim.

Of course I was at the FHB Auto Show this past weekend.

I have an entire set on the AutoShow posted at Flickr. I am still working on posting more photos to the set, so do check back for more photos this week. There were plenty of nice new and classic rides at the auto show.

Nice, Mel. Looks like something from a Sci-Fi movie.

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post

It's a Pink Darth Vader!!

Quote Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
    It's a Pink Darth Vader!!
    We all saw it in a similar way. I saw a smiling alien.

We all saw it in a similar way. I saw a smiling alien.
    <sigh> I saw it as a memory from my youth!

Here's one of Kailua-Kona from a little North of Holualoa on the Big Island.

Quote Originally Posted by sophielynette View Post
    I've posted a lot more photos on my blog and I plan on doing something of a writeup on my trip there as soon as I can get back into a writing groove.
    I went to your blog and looked at your photos. Lots of great, interesting shots. My favorite is the one of the cat sitting in front of the mirror facing our right. Great expression. I'll go back and read when I have some reading energy, maybe this weekend.

Well, been a long time sine I have contributed here, but I have not been shooting lately...here are some from a reception tonight for a Global Warming committee : food content

3 Mushroom Tart w/ Brandied Candied Onion

Smoked Salmon w/ Chevre Mousse, and Chive all on Asiago Frico

Thai Chicken with Toasted Peanuts and Yogurt all in Mini Hydro-Bibb Cup
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

And from around the office...

flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Awesome pics, Tat! Those incredible edibles look . . . INCREDIBLE! Are those things you prepared? I'm curious about the 3 mushroom tart. Is that sweet like a dessert? Also, is mini-hydro-bib a tiny lettuce?

Awesome pics, Tat! Those incredible edibles look . . . INCREDIBLE! Are those things you prepared? I'm curious about the 3 mushroom tart. Is that sweet like a dessert? Also, is mini-hydro-bib a tiny lettuce?
    I made all of 'em, it's what I do for my day job. The mushroom tart was a good mix of sweet and savory, the earthy mushroom duxelle went great with the candied onions that were caramelized first, then deglazed with brandy and simmered until it was au sec. Very flavorful little bites. All of the above were about the size of a quarter.
    flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

that is funny, I just saw the "this photo unavailable"...here it is/was

flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Why do I get the feeling that someone just bought a macro lens?

Good job. I like the elevator. An interesting take on a ordinary object.

The color balance on the food seems off. Probably the lighting. Really detracts. I've found using the camera's custom white balance really helps when dealing with "off" lighting. I can't get as close in post processing.

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that someone just bought a macro lens?

Good job. I like the elevator. An interesting take on a ordinary object.

The color balance on the food seems off. Probably the lighting. Really detracts. I've found using the camera's custom white balance really helps when dealing with "off" lighting. I can't get as close in post processing.

lol, nah, had the lens for quite some time, actually got it on Oahu...just never farted around with it really.

I was having issues with bouncing a flash in a florescent kitchen, I will see if I can clean 'em up a bit.
    flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

You guys take some beautiful pictures! Here are a few I took while walking the dog.

This one was inspired by myopic joe........

And this is the first sign of spring...........

How do you get the pictures bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
    I was having issues with bouncing a flash in a florescent kitchen, I will see if I can clean 'em up a bit.
    Hey Tat! Those pics look scrumptious to me! I don't see any problem with the color, but I'm not a pro.

And I'm hungry, too!

The first two of these are taken on the beach just to the left of the research/fishing pier past Waimanalo one night after work this week.
    That's a popular spot for tourist snorkeling and diving tours. And there's a terrific secret beach very close by, between the research pier at Sea Life Park and the very first homes as you head into Waimanalo.
    When you pass the pier heading north, and before the homes (and just a couple of hundred yards from where you took that photo), you'll see bushes alongside the road and the ocean beyond them. From a car it looks like there's no beach, but park on the side and climb down through the bushes. The wide sandy beach is about the size of a football field, and is deserted almost all the time. I've found four glass fishing floats there, and also some boogie boards that had drifted there from Makapuu. Go at low tide and see the tidepools at either end of the secret beach.

And as always, I'm loving ALL the photos in this thread!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks Likanui! I'll definitely have to check that out.

I went looking for a place to shoot some evening shots of Honolulu. Ended up on Roundtop Drive. These are kind of similar, but each is a little different.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast