The Reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Reader

This thread is for the movie The Reader which got nominated for Best Picture. Going off to see it today at Dole with a friend. In the meantime anyone else who have seen this movie can add their response to this thread. No need to use spoilers since the movie has been playing for a long time.

Re: The Reader

The reason why I went to this movie is because I went with someone else. I had no idea on the plot line or genre of this movie.

I got mixed feelings on this movie, like the actors, like the middle part of the move which takes place in the 1960's as well as the parts after ward, but felt the beginning was slow.

Comment

I saw this, but refrained from making any comments since they were negative. Wanted to give others who liked it a chance put in their 2 cents first. But I guess that may not be happening anytime soon.

The story does touch upon and explore many important moral issues. But as thought-provoking as the book may have been, it just doesn't translate well into a movie. Helen might have thought it slow in the beginning. I found it to be the exact opposite. Most of the interesting action is in the beginning. It is during the middle and ending parts that are exasperatingly slow. It is a far-from-ideal plot structure for a movie. But that is how the story went. A teenaged German boy starting out his life as a young adult by having a summertime affair with a woman more than 20 years his senior. The rest of the movie deals with how the rest of his life was tainted by that brief fling. Ralph Fiennes, I thought, did a fine job of bringing his character to life. But it didn't make the story any less depressing.

That this film is a candidate for "Picture Of The Year" says a lot more about the lack of quality in this year's crop of movies rather than a positive statement on The Reader.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Thinking about this movie and the discussion that my friend and I had after watching this movie is that the story line tells a sad story. I think the mistake we made that day when we watched it was seeing this movie as the second (and last) feature of the day. We should have seen it first.

Comment

Working...
        X