Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bob Sevey - RIP

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
    For a solid half-hour, absolutely nothing went according to the script. Everything was screwed up. It soon became funny, and I decided I had to play it that way. Somehow, we finished the half-hour.”
    Certain anchors (I won't mention names) would have blown their stack on-air. As others have said, Sevey was a class act and a fine example for generations of newscasters. Certainly a role model for many others. What a local icon!

Comment

I would love to see that infamous newscast. When Murphy's Law hits, the tough get funny. Humor rocks!

Comment

One of Hawaii`s favorite, and KGMB-TV great newscaster. Always a pleasure to watch the news with Bob Sevey, Bob Jones, and sports with Joe Moore. Truely, "One of the good things about Hawaii".
        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
          Bob Sevey was very generous with me, sharing stories about the old days for my books. Here's one of my favorites, a funny story about a strike at KULA, which became KITV:
          Wasn't KITV 4 known as KHVH before it changed to KITV? I don't recall the channel being KULA, though if it was, that was way before my time. When I was a kid, KHVH was channel 4 and "Captain Honolulu" was on it along with the barely memorable Bob Sevey at the time for me.

My remembrance of Bob Sevey was during his glory days at KGMB when he was news anchor with Tim Tindall and Joe Moore. Later Sevey was teamed up with Bob Jones, who succeeded him after retirement.

I agree with all of the accolades that Sevey was Hawaii's Walter Cronkite.

Rest in Peace Bob.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            Wasn't KITV 4 known as KHVH before it changed to KITV? I don't recall the channel being KULA, though if it was, that was way before my time. When I was a kid, KHVH was channel 4 and "Captain Honolulu" was on it along with the barely memorable Bob Sevey at the time for me.

My remembrance of Bob Sevey was during his glory days at KGMB when he was news anchor with Tim Tindall and Joe Moore. Later Sevey was teamed up with Bob Jones, who succeeded him after retirement.

I agree with all of the accolades that Sevey was Hawaii's Walter Cronkite.

Rest in Peace Bob.
            I forgot about Tim Tindall, small kine memory loss, and KHVH channel 4 is correct.
            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Alas, I think Rosalie Sevey has Alzheimer's and Bob was the caretaker. I hope I'm wrong about that, because my own parents went through it...
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

There were a lot of good local broadcasters as mentioned from the Bob Sevey tree. He was the head coach who had his assistants become successful coaches too.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  Long Story Short featuring Bob Sevey talking about his health, the decline in the quality of news coverage, his unexpected decision to retire, and his move to Washington State.
                  For those who can't wait, LLS transcript (it's a PDF file). Provides some interesting commentary on news that may be relevant to the discussion on the newspapers happening in a different thread.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    Wasn't KITV 4 known as KHVH before it changed to KITV? I don't recall the channel being KULA, though if it was, that was way before my time.
                    KULA-TV went on the air in 1954. It was third behind KONA-TV (now KHON) and KGMB.

In 1958, Henry Kaiser bought it, and it became KHVH (Kaiser's Hawaiian Village Hotel) in 1959. Kaiser sold KHVH in 1964 and the call letters were changed to KITV.

Comment

1958 - Yep definitely before my time. I remember KHVH TV but not KULA TV. There were KULA radio stations during my life.

Definitely remember KONA TV on Channel 2, now KHON.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

KULA went on the air as I recall 4/13/54 thanks greatly to Art Sprinkle and Bob Sevey who specifically came to Hawaii to start the new station.

Both Sprinkle and Sevey came from KPHO's Channel 5 in Phoenix which incidentilly was the longtime home of "Wallace & Ladmo"; the inspiration behind "Checkers & Pogo".

During the summer of 1973, I don't have the exact date handy, KHVH became KITV.

I just informed Mel Proctor of Sevey's passing, yet another great talent who passed thru the Channel 9 newsroom.

Aj
                        Last edited by Kalihiboy; February 21, 2009, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          If you're talking about reporters who are still active and working in Hawaii, I can think of one more big name to add to that distinguished list. Jim Leahey.
                          Originally posted by Random View Post
                          There are also Linda Coble and Matt Levi.
                          Is Linda Coble still in the news biz here?

Matt Levi -- I know he made that Levi Report documentary w/ Edgy Lee a few years back. But is he still keeping on with that?

Bob Jones - yeah, you can call him still active as a journalist if you consider his Midweek column as reporting. To me, it's more commentary.

If we're going to just name anybody who worked as a colleague with Sevey at KGMB, a couple of other notables who hasn't been mentioned so far would be Larry Beil and Matt Pinto.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I was stating moreso the people who are active locally in the news business who worked with Sevey. There's so many who are out of the business who still reside here like Carolyn Tanaka and others mentioned or who have left for the mainland, Bart Fredo, John Kernell, Marisol, etc.

I thought Pinto replaced Beil when he went to the mainland in 1989. Pinto's in Oklahoma City now, Beil in SF.

Levi's been spotted in commercials of late, think I posted a commercial link awhile back somewhere.

Aj

Comment

If you're talking about reporters who are still active and working in Hawaii, I can think of one more big name to add to that distinguished list. Jim Leahey.
                              I'll add a few more names:

Tina Shelton, currently with the John A. Burns School of Medicine

Elisa Yadao, (last time I remember) was with Senator Inouye's Office

Dick Allgire, KITV 4 Island Television News

Jim Manke, currently with Hawaii Public Radio

Comment

Is Linda Coble still in the news biz here?

Matt Levi -- I know he made that Levi Report documentary w/ Edgy Lee a few years back. But is he still keeping on with that?

Bob Jones - yeah, you can call him still active as a journalist if you consider his Midweek column as reporting. To me, it's more commentary.

If we're going to just name anybody who worked as a colleague with Sevey at KGMB, a couple of other notables who hasn't been mentioned so far would be Larry Beil and Matt Pinto.
                                At last reported, Linda is doing periodical reporting for KHON2.

Comment

Working...
                                X