Bob Sevey - RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Sevey - RIP

One of Hawaii's legends in TV broadcasting has passed on today.
    Bob battled cancer for years, and quite courageously it seems.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Bob Sevey - RIP

The moment of silence given to Bob Sevey during KHNL's newscast a few minutes ago was very touching...silence over a photo then fade to black with more silence.

RIP, Mr. Sevey, and my condolences to the Sevey family.

Comment

I really admired that man. He was the ultimate professional; his integrity is legendary. RIP Bob Sevey.

Comment

I'm on the mainland now, in fact I was going to see Bob just a few days ago and then got the news from his sister that he was in the hospital and he might not make it. When you look at some of the news veterans in this town, and apologies for leaving anyone out, but Dash, Terry Hunter, Sprinkle, Moore, Matthews, Wilcox at PBS, Sevey worked with them all. That covers at least one person currently at all of our stations that Bob touched in one way or the other. I know people think it is cliche and it's often repeated that there will never be another one like him, but it's definitely true in this case.

Aj McWhorter
        Salt Lake City

Comment

It may sound like a chiche by now, but it's true. Bob Sevey was the Walter Cronkite of the Pacific. The straight-forward, father-figure type news anchor, who's credibility and objectivity was beyond question. A mentor and a tremendous influence on a generation of journalists who either worked with him, or grew up watching him in action every night on KGMB. Channel 9 used to have a commercial bumper that said it all.

Sevey At Six.

That could actually be an epitaph on his grave stone.

So long, Bob. We'll never forget you.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            When you look at some of the news veterans in this town, and apologies for leaving anyone out, but Dash, Terry Hunter, Sprinkle, Moore, Matthews, Wilcox at PBS, Sevey worked with them all.
            If you're talking about reporters who are still active and working in Hawaii, I can think of one more big name to add to that distinguished list. Jim Leahey.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

awwwww NO WAAAY

I grew up watching him when KGMB was the channel to watch then for the news.

R.I.P.

Comment

Bob Sevey was very generous with me, sharing stories about the old days for my books. Here's one of my favorites, a funny story about a strike at KULA, which became KITV:

“There was a strike at KULA-TV,” Sevey recalled, “the first ever by the IBEW against a Honolulu TV station. All the technicians and cameramen walked out. The management staff was able to keep things on a reasonably even keel during the day of routine programming on film or kinescope (before videotape was invented).

“The six o’clock news, however, was another kettle of fish. There were salesmen pushing and trying to focus the cameras, promotion people were editing news film, the floor director was a copy writer, the sports guy was on the audio board, and on camera was me.

“I led to the first piece of news film, and instead, a commercial came up. I led to the second piece, and the fourth piece appeared. For a solid half-hour, absolutely nothing went according to the script. Everything was screwed up. It soon became funny, and I decided I had to play it that way. Somehow, we finished the half-hour.”

In the hours and days that followed, the station got thousands of phone calls and hundreds of pieces of mail. “Ninety-nine percent of them said they loved the newscast, thought it was the best, and certainly the funniest one they’d ever seen. Most were quite disappointed when we got our act together and figured out how to do it right, in spite of the strike."

Thanks Bob. In light of the budget cuts going on today in newsrooms, the standards you set may be the high-water mark in Hawaii.

You were a consummate professional. Even though you're gone, the many proteges you hired and trained remain, and Hawaii is the better for them.

Aloha.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  If you're talking about reporters who are still active and working in Hawaii, I can think of one more big name to add to that distinguished list. Jim Leahey.
                  There are also Linda Coble and Matt Levi.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

A PBS Hawaii "Special Advisory" passed on by a little birdie:

Bob Sevey, who was Hawaii's most trusted news anchor for two decades, has died in his retirement community in Lacey, Washington.He'd been battling cancer.

In memory of the former KGMB9 newsman, PBS Hawaii will rebroadcast a conversation with Mr. Sevey. I spoke with him at his home in 2007. It was his last substantive television appearance.

Sunday evening at 7, join us for two episodes ofLong Story Short featuring Bob Sevey talking about his health, the decline in the quality of news coverage, his unexpected decision to retire, and his move to Washington State.

The special broadcast will cause a shift in PBS Hawaii programming. Nature, usually shown at 7pm, moves to 8pm. And Masterpiece, normally presented at 8pm, moves to 9pm.

We apologize for any inconvenience that the programming change causes.

With the encore broadcast of Long Story Short,we honor this beloved news director and top-rated anchor who demonstrated integrity throughout his distinguished career.

Sincerely, Leslie Wilcox
                    President and CEO
                    PBS Hawaii

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                      There are also Linda Coble and Matt Levi.
                      Tina Shelton, Bob Jones, Tim Tindal

Comment

Aloha 'Oe Bob Sevey

KGMB'S Bob Sevey: Journalist, Mentor
                        'The most trusted, authoritative figure' on Hawaii TV news loses 2-year battle with cancer
                        Bob Sevey, known as the "Walter Cronkite of Hawai'i" during his two decades as anchor of the top TV newscast in the state, died yesterday in Olympia, Wash. He was 81.
                        KHON2 Anchor Joe Moore had a tough time bidding farewell to Bob at the end of last night's 6pm broadcast, who noted Bob as being almost like his own father. So did Linda Coble, who fondly recalled Bob walking her down the aisle when she got married.

All of us born before 1980 in Hawaii (including myself) remember watching Bob Sevey deliver the news. "Walter Cronkite of Hawaii" is the best way to say it. He had a powerful, commanding voice and unfaltering delivery, while at the same time he was kind and likable, not harsh nor abrasive, while also having you feel he had a connection to each story. A testament reinforced by those who spoke of his work ethic in the news room both on and off camera.

Bob Sevey was the greatest and will truly be missed.

Bob Sevey's farewell KGMB broadcast in 1986
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Aloha 'Oe Bob Sevey

Pssst - Pomai...
                          There's a Bob Sevey thread that was started last night, here.

Comment

Re: Aloha 'Oe Bob Sevey

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Pssst - Pomai...
                            There's a Bob Sevey thread that was started last night, here.
                            Ack! I haven't been checking in on the local media scene threads department lately. Sorry 'bout that. Admin, please move my post there. Thanks!
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

The opening theme song when Sevey was anchor still jingles in my head......
                              I assume KGMB has abandoned that long ago...

Comment

Working...
                              X