Father Damien Elevated To Saint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father Damien Elevated To Saint

AP – In this photo provided by Hawaii State Archive, Father Damien is seen in this portrait taken two months … VATICAN CITY – A 19th-century Belgian priest who ministered to leprosy patients in Hawaii will be declared a saint Oct. 11 at a Vatican ceremony presided over by Pope Benedict XVI.

The Rev. Damien de Veuster's canonization date was set Saturday during a meeting between Benedict and cardinals at the Apostolic Palace.

De Veuster will be canonized along with three other people, the Vatican said.

In July, Benedict approved a miracle attributed to the priest's intercession, declaring that a Honolulu woman's recovery in 1999 from terminal lung cancer was the miracle needed for him to be made a saint.

He was beatified — a step toward sainthood — in 1995 by Pope John Paul II.

Born Joseph de Veuster in 1840, he took the name Damien and went to Hawaii in 1864 to join other missionaries of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary. Nine years later he began ministering to leprosy patients on the remote Kalaupapa peninsula of Molokai island, where some 8,000 people had been banished amid an epidemic in Hawaii in the 1850s.

The priest eventually contracted the disease, also known as Hansen's disease, and died in 1889 at age 49.

The Vatican's saint-making procedures require that a miracle attributed to the candidate's intercession be confirmed in order for him or her to be beatified. Damien de Veuster was beatified after the Vatican declared that the 1987 recovery of a nun of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary was a miracle. The nun recovered from an illness after praying to Damien.

After beatification, a second miracle is needed for sainthood.

The Vatican's Congregation for the Causes of Saints said Audrey Toguchi's 1999 recovery from lung cancer defied medical explanation, and in July, Benedict agreed. Toguchi, too, had prayed to Damien.

-----Obviously, the photo the article spoke about did not transmit. Regrets.

Re: Father Damien Elevated To Saint

Finally! The work he and Mother Marianne Cope did at Kalaupapa was so important and selfless. This is great news for his memory and the people he served.

Completely aside but relevant is that Reyn's has had two really nice designs depicting Father Damien.

Comment

I am by nature on the cynical side. (Perhaps that has become clear in a few of my posts, yes?) Yet I must say that the visit to Kalaupapa was a genuinely inspiring event; to see true selfless Christianity practiced, as Father, now Saint Damien, did. The hope and decency he brought, all out of compassion for the forgotten, for the cast offs, for the doomed.

I was saddened recently to read of the passing last November of Richard Marks, the "sheriff of Kalaupapa", I think that was the title he went by. A remarkable human being, strong, with true human grace. One of his most prized possessions was a photograph of himself with Pope John Paul II. Like Father Damien, Richard Marks made the world a much better, more humane place. I feel fortunate for having met him.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
        I am by nature on the cynical side. (Perhaps that has become clear in a few of my posts, yes?)
        Actually, no. At least based on this thread I would say you are an optimist. As your article states, all that happened today was that a date was set for Father Damien’s canonization, which won’t actually occur for another eight months. So the title “Father Damien Elevated To Saint” is an optimistic statement. With it, you are making a positive prediction of a future event.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

I only saw the film but it was great. A friend of mine who has lived on Oahu for 30 years did the hair and make up for it. Fr. Damien was played by a great acting Brit named Peter O'Toole. Never met him but have been told he's a great guy to work with.

From what I understand, Fr. Damien was a saint while he was alive and should be given the credit of sainthood now to imortalise the work he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
            [...] A friend of mine who has lived on Oahu for 30 years did the hair and make up for it.[...]
            Which one?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Which one?
              I will give her name by P.M

Comment

I only saw the film but it was great. A friend of mine who has lived on Oahu for 30 years did the hair and make up for it. Fr. Damien was played by a great acting Brit named Peter O'Toole. Never met him but have been told he's a great guy to work with.
                Wasn't there a movie with Robin Williams as Father Damien? Which other actors played Father Damien?

Comment

That's great news. His life story is quite inspirational.

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                  Wasn't there a movie with Robin Williams as Father Damien? Which other actors played Father Damien?
                  David Wenham, Ken Howard, Alex Wilequet, Terence Knapp, and Robert Lussac.

Comment

But as TunNL pointed out, I was premature, it is not official, its just in the works. I apologize. Mea culpa mea culpa.

Comment

I suspect many celebratory events will take place between now and October 11, on both islands of Oahu and here on Molokai. We have yet to break ground for the new Blessed Damien Church of Molokai (to be located on current St. Sophia Church in the town of Kaunakakai.

It will be joyous and sad for me. I grew up in that church. Had my Baptism and First Communion. Served as an altar boy. But the Catholic Community have grown larger since then, so a new church is needed.

I am looking forward to contribute what I can here to honor Blessed Damien.
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

He is already accepted as a Saint by most Catholics for the work he did and without a thought for himself. It's only a matter of time that this will be rubber stamped in the Vatican.

Comment

Robin Williams did narrate a movie about Father Damien called "The Father Damien Story - An Uncommom Kindness". My 12 year old son is doing a report on Father Damien for his school. He told me he cannot comprehend the unselfishness Father Damien short life was. This is the first time he was truly inspired to get his paper right and tell the true story of Father Damien. This is also the first time he has read several books for his report. Father Damien is still touching people like my son inspiring him to live a life of giving rather than being so self centered.

808Dad

Comment

He is already accepted as a Saint by most Catholics for the work he did and without a thought for himself. It's only a matter of time that this will be rubber stamped in the Vatican.
                            Wow, I would hope that “most Catholics” would not view the Pope as a “rubber stamp” but as the successor to Saint Peter, and a holy instrument of God. To do anything less would dishonor Father Damien himself.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                              Wow, I would hope that “most Catholics” would not view the Pope as a “rubber stamp” but as the successor to Saint Peter, and a holy instrument of God. To do anything less would dishonor Father Damien himself.
                              Why misquote me TuNnl ? ? I did say the Vatican, which is not only a city but a principality. I never mentioned the Pope, Please get it right !

Comment

Working...
                              X