Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Father Damien Elevated To Saint

Originally posted by Barry View Post
    He is already accepted as a Saint by most Catholics for the work he did and without a thought for himself. It's only a matter of time that this will be rubber stamped in the Vatican.
    Yes, indeed, this is great news. I have long admired this selfless man, and I'll look for those films to get a better understanding. I hate to say my limited knowledge comes mostly from a work of fiction, namely, the Michener novel.

I agree, a long deserved honor for Father Damien. I was excited to have my picture taken next to his statue at the State Capitol building, many years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
      I agree, a long deserved honor for Father Damien. I was excited to have my picture taken next to his statue at the State Capitol building, many years ago.
      I'm embarrassed to say that I've never stopped to check out that statue. But I'm wondering if action's being taken to acknowledge his upcoming sainthood?
      Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

That is a GREAT idea! Time to start the ball rolling...

Comment

I did say the Vatican, which is not only a city but a principality. I never mentioned the Pope
          And for that, you should be ashamed. The Pope is the head of the Vatican and is synonymous with the city-state. More importantly, it is the Pope himself, who canonizes a saint. So really, you should dispense with this whole disrespectful “rubber stamp” nonsense.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            And for that, you should be ashamed. The Pope is the head of the Vatican and is synonymous with the city-state. More importantly, it is the Pope himself, who canonizes a saint. So really, you should dispense with this whole disrespectful “rubber stamp” nonsense.
            You are incorrect and there is no shame attached to my post. Of course the Pope is the head of the Vatican state. He is surrounded by Cardinals from all over the world. Priests who have also been trained as lawyers. They will seriously look into canonization as they did with Bernadette Soubirous.
            There is no disrespect intended by my saying "rubber stamp." and you should not have taken it that way !
            Who could expect the Pope to do all that work ? He is suurounded by experts who will advise him about Fr. Damien and the next hopeful step. In the last analysis, the Pope will have the final word.

Comment

There is a beautiful stain glass window of Father Damien at St. Augustine's by the Sea. Until 2006 they had a Father Damien Museum there.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond3121 View Post
                There is a beautiful stain glass window of Father Damien at St. Augustine's by the Sea. Until 2006 they had a Father Damien Museum there.
                Oooh! Can someone maybe post a photo of that? I love to see personal photos, that have a story to go along with them, rather than just get all my info or images from google... I did read about the Father Damien Museum in one of my old dog-earred "This Week" magazines.

Comment

When I learned of this good news, I dusted off my paperback copy of Hawaii Reader, which contains the whole letter known as Father Damien : an open letter to the Reverend Dr. Hyde of Honolulu (1916)
                  (download options for viewing are on the left column). The most acidic 5K words I have ever read (yes, I did the word count).

I have long suspected that it was Robert Louis Stevenson's letter which became the Molokaʻi priest's first "media release".

Fun fact: Dr. Hyde so infuriated Stevenson for smack-talking Father Damien, that his name is the inspiration for that Mr. Hyde.

pax

Comment

You are incorrect
                    Really? In what way?

Of course the Pope is the head of the Vatican state.
                    I’m glad you’ve finally embraced that fact.

There is no disrespect intended by my saying "rubber stamp." and you should not have taken it that way !
                    Agree to disagree. You be you, and I’ll be me.

In the last analysis, the Pope will have the final word.
                    Exactly! See, we understand each other after all.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

A great bit of news for Catholics everywhere, hopefully also a true source of pride for Hawaii and its people.

Comment

Today's the day! If you need to catch up on the news and for live coverage information, Live Coverage: The Canonization of Father Damian.
                        ___
                        "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by infinitypro View Post
                          Today's the day! If you need to catch up on the news and for live coverage information, Live Coverage: The Canonization of Father Damian.

About feckin time ! The work he did with leppers was extraordinary.

Comment

About feckin time ! The work he did with leppers was extraordinary.
                            Amen to that!

Comment

We watched last night. Very moving and long overdue. Bless St. Damien.

Comment

It was beautiful. And just as moving, for me, was knowing that several people I know were there to witness it.

Comment

Working...
                                X