Pigs every night in my yard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pigs every night in my yard!

For the last week or so during the night we have had pigs root up our taro! They were even so bold one night as to WALK UP OUR DRIVEWAY!! This we know because one of the plants they rooted up had a good corm left and we put it in a pot to replant. The next day we woke up to find the pot strewn across the driveway and the parts of the plant sans corm were thrown onto our neighbor's hill. We've had success before putting up green wire fencing at the bottom of our hill as they don't like things getting in their hooves.
    However the other morning said fence was strewn across the driveway mangled as hell - one of them most likely got caught in it and ripped it apart trying to break free. We have had this problem before and it seems to happen every year at this time. Neighbors have had them walk right up to the doorway in broad daylight! Some have hired hunters/set up traps. I sure wish I could stay up all night and figure out when they come and through what path they get in. We've put up fencing on the back of the yard to prevent entry up our back hill on the side. It's heartbreaking to see the giant taro thrown about the yardAnyone else have pig problems?

Re: Pigs every night in my yard!

Try an electric fence set about twelve inches above ground level. Or a gun and a BBQ. Or at least a dog to sound the alarm.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Last week I saw a piggy running alongside Pali over by Dump Rd. It was sooo cute!!
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        Last week I saw a piggy running alongside Pali over by Dump Rd. It was sooo cute!!
        Yeah well they are "cute" but my taro is nicer looking! My neighbor had EIGHTEEN in her yard
        a couple weeks ago and my other neighbor had a litter of 5 piglets at his door one morning. The funny thing is the in-laws are coming and they sleep in the bedroom right off where the taro is and the one year it got completely trashed overnight they never heard anything even with the windows open. I saw one strolling down the road on the way home from Castle Medical Center two weeks ago. You can always see them by the Wilson tunnels in the morning and afternoons in the grassy areas.

Comment

You could try putting mothballs in the yard. No idea if it will work, but it works for cats. Might be worth a try.

Comment

If you get in contact with the pig hunters association they'll gladly take them out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
              Ooooh...I wonder if piggy knows it's bad luck for him/her to go over the Pali...

Comment

Once mountain pigs find a food source. They will keep on coming at night. They are also smart enough not to come at the same time. The best way to get rid of them is to hire a pig hunter to set a cage trap.

Comment

I thought this was about cops

Shoot'em. They're outta control.
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    Once mountain pigs find a food source. They will keep on coming at night. They are also smart enough not to come at the same time. The best way to get rid of them is to hire a pig hunter to set a cage trap.

Suggestion

Let the mountain pigs know that they are a "food source",,,,,,,,Shoot them, an apple in their mouth and then onto the Barbie.

Comment

oh my - hope there aren't any PETA folks out there.

Call the hunters - they will take care of your problem (and feed their familes at the same time)
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I have just this minute put an entire shoulder of pork into the oven to roast for eight hours at 230° farenheit. Poked with three heads' worth of garlic slivers and rubbed with salt and pepper and olive oil and a splash of liquid smoke.

Maybe the wild pigs would need twelve hours roasting.

From what I remember with my time at the DaLima's in upper Hilo...those piggies also make very nice smoked sausage.
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                          The funny thing is the in-laws are coming...
                          Sounds like a pork BBQ would solve at least two simultaneous crises...
                          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

We put up more of that green fencing stuff and made a barricade by the
                            upper area where if they walked up the driveway they could walk through
                            off the courtyard. They didn't do any damage last night Too much humbug
                            to get in probably.

Lots of neighbors have hired the hunters and have had success as they've
                            been there in the daylight in their yards. Like I said before it's a seasonal
                            thing and it stops in March so we've got a little ways to go. I'm waiting for
                            a chicken trap from that association that offers them for use and then comes
                            and gets them. We've a virtual barnyard here in the 'hood!!
                            You should hear the squaking of the wild parrots everyday too!

Comment

And then one day, while we were innocently driving down the Kam Hwy, we saw this:
                              Attached Files

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
                              X