Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever testified on state legislative issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever testified on state legislative issues?

Have you ever submitted testimony on a state legislative issue? Or contacted a legislator (which will count on this poll as testimony)? How many of us "do the talk" but don't "do the walk" when discussing issues that are before our state legislature?

If you have not ever testified, why not? [Such as, don't know how? My testimony would not matter? I'm not a registered voter so I think my testimony would be ignored?]

If you have testified, what methods do you think are the most effective?
    Yes, I've testified in person
    15.00%
    Yes, I've given written testimony
    25.00%
    Yes, I've sent a personal email to a legislator
    25.00%
    Yes, I've called a legislator
    15.00%
    Yes, I've by filling in the blanks in a prewritten email testimony
    15.00%
    No
    5.00%
    Last edited by Amati; February 25, 2009, 12:01 PM.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Have you ever testified on state legislative issues?

I know HT was down for awhile, but even though, I'm suprised by the lack of responses to this poll.
    [Wondering to myself: are HTers really so uninvolved in the decision making process?]

Comment

I have never testified in person usually because the issues I'm concerned about have hearings during my work hours. I also feel that some issues (such as Hawaiian concerns) are better served by testimony from that community.

I have found that personal contact with my legislators is more effective in getting my views across. I'm lucky to have good communication with mine and don't hesitate to contact them when as issue comes along that I care deeply about.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
        I know HT was down for awhile, but even though, I'm suprised by the lack of responses to this poll.
        [Wondering to myself: are HTers really so uninvolved in the decision making process?]
        This thread just showed up for me. Possibly others are in the same boat as the HT/new server issue hasn't completed it's download. I noticed about an hour ago that the photo sharing thread had downloaded but not the photos!

I spent a lot of Wed. and yesterday morning writing and faxing testimony on 6 or 7 bills. I'm lucky in that our film industry has a couple of members who are willing to get the word out and write sample testimony that hits the main points so that the rest of us can put those points in our own words. One request was so last minute that we received pre-written testimony. All we had to do was copy and paste into our own letterhead.

I've also attended hearings but have not testified in person.

Comment

This is the first I've been able to get in and read this thread. I think HT is still rather quiet. I'd give it some more time to hear from the usual suspects.

Comment

It's been nearly two days of the poll, so far only 7 HTer's have polled that they have participated in the legislature in some way or another. 1 has said "no".

Once you vote your legislators into office, giving your input on issues is an important way to influence the decisions. You know, "walk the walk" instead of just "talk the talk" when complaining about what should be a law or not, how our taxes should be spent, etc.

Participating is really easy, even a phone call can help. How come more don't try to participate in the legislature?

Comment

It's only been a little over 24 hrs. since HT came back online, Amati. There's still a chance that more people will respond.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                It's only been a little over 24 hrs. since HT came back online, Amati. There's still a chance that more people will respond.
                Thank you for keeping my hope alive that HTers are actually a cut above the general public.

Comment

Working...
                X