Astounding crash in Kaneohe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Astounding crash in Kaneohe

Cars do not exceed the limits unless the drivers so mandate, or if they are incapable of restraint.
    Many of us, when we were younger, broke driving rules. Most of us were lucky.
    Mandating speed limitation devices will save few lives; learning how to educate our children to make sensible choices will save many more.
    Yet who is teaching parents how to raise their children?
    And which parents are listening?

Children who know they are loved, and who know their parents care, are less likely to make stupid mistakes.

Being a parent is the hardest job I have ever had, and I'm working with my son RIGHT NOW learning how to drive. He is totally turned off to drugs, alcohol, premature sex, and the like, and he corrects MY careless driving habits.

He is loved unconditionally, but still learns discipline. Maybe I'm just lucky, but he knows how sad his mother and I would be if he was hurt or killed.

Just my perspective.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
      Cars do not exceed the limits unless the drivers so mandate, or if they are incapable of restraint.
      Many of us, when we were younger, broke driving rules. Most of us were lucky.
      Mandating speed limitation devices will save few lives; learning how to educate our children to make sensible choices will save many more.
      Yet who is teaching parents how to raise their children?
      And which parents are listening?

Children who know they are loved, and who know their parents care, are less likely to make stupid mistakes.

Being a parent is the hardest job I have ever had, and I'm working with my son RIGHT NOW learning how to drive. He is totally turned off to drugs, alcohol, premature sex, and the like, and he corrects MY careless driving habits.

He is loved unconditionally, but still learns discipline. Maybe I'm just lucky, but he knows how sad his mother and I would be if he was hurt or killed.

Just my perspective.

My eyes leaked when I read the above ( us big fellers don't cry) I have one boy and three girls and they all were taught to drive by me. Although I went to the police advanced driving school, I feel safer with any of my children behind the wheel.
      Two of my children are doctors and one is a teacher. The baby is 19 and she is re-sitting exams. Some baby ! She has got the concentration of a fruit fly but she is lovely and funny.
      None have ever been involved in drugs or brought any disgrace on me. I s'pose the worse they ever did was get a bit drunk at a party.
      I would be a hypercrite to say that I didn't.

Thanks for your perspective feller.

Comment

Deleted - Or tried to delete this post. Without any luck.

Comment

Well, a little more than a year since that fatal crash outside of Wilson Tunnel.... and the family of one of the passengers in that maniac's car is suing the bar where the driver got himself drunk.

Star-Bulletin

Obviously, Keone Cardenas' parents are looking to dig into somebody's deep pockets.

Got a message for ya folks: After you sue the Shack Waikiki, why don't you go after Audi? Hey, that automaker has a LOT MORE moola than some local bar, right?

Or is it because you and your shister lawyer know that a company like Audi is too smart to be intimidated by your frivolous lawsuit?

Hopefully, the Shack holds firm and won't give in to this pathetic threat.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Similar, but different...
            During the mid 90s I was involved in a trial. The plaintiff was a former office mate of mine; a medium built haole guy. The defendant was a Korean bar represented by a high powered law office. Plaintiff, after going thru 2 lawyers, finally found a slime bucket to take the case on contingency...one with a private postal box as his business address. It was a good fit.

It seems plaintiff, who was also a drug dealer, stopped off at the bar to quench his addictive thirst. He managed to hit on a local dude's girlfriend at which time dude called plaintiff out on it. Dude invited plaintiff outside to settle the problem. Plaintiff was stupid enough to go. Long story short...plaintiff got his brains beaten out...literally. Long, expensive (to the taxpayers) rehab but he couldn't be made whole again...lots of brain damage altho' he eventually was able to live on his own. He died a few years later.

Plaintiff and slime bucket lawyer sued the BAR for $1million. THE BAR! I was thrust into this hellacious mess because of plaintiff's and my office sharing arrangement. He was fairly new to the state and it was felt I had more insight into him than anyone else locally. Never mind that he'd had a girlfriend for a year prior to the incident! The bar's team of attorneys loved my insight (esp. the part about me evicting him for dealing drugs out of the office!). Slime bucket hated it and tried to take me down.

Enough of the gory details. The bar WON! Yay! Plaintiff and slime bucket didn't get one, measley, rotten cent! Sometimes there is justice in this world. And often there is no justice trying to arrive at the justice.

Hopefully The Shack has the same outcome.

Comment

Compiling all posts:
              -Darwinism strikes again.
              -Drunk driving killed the driver. Going 100+ is nowhere near the same as going 8 over. But going 8 under is just as unsafe, depending on the conditions.
              -If dumb driving got you arrested, 90% of Oahu couldn't drive.
              -Engineers estimate safe road conditions; politicians set speed limits. New research is now coining the phrase: "70 is the new 55." Cars are designed to be safer (on average), and can handle higher speeds. Some cars even get better gas mileage at higher speeds. Get with the times.
              -Linking another thread, there's a Hawaii corrupt good-ole-boy local pact that doesn't seem to punish the repeat offenders. Or successful bribery.
              -No matter how safe YOU think you drive, someone else thinks your driving sucks.

Comment

The parents (plaintiffs)are trying to find someone to blame, rather than admitting that their son made a VERY STUPID mistake by thinking he was in any condition to drive. Their son also killed 2 other persons. The parents need closure but they aren't going to get it by suing The Shack. The only way they will get it is to admit their son's failures as a human (and we all have them) and then remember him with love and move on with their lives. It's the same as the parents who sued the state when their son was killed at the Blowhole. Their son CHOSE to ignore the signs and went out where he shouldn't have been. The driver CHOSE to have more drinks and then go out to get in his car and the other persons should have known better than to get in the car with him.

Obviously, I don't have any sympathy for drunk drivers. or others who go where they are not supposed to. I would not want to serve on that jury at the trial since I would probably side with The Shack.

I'm sure many will disagree with me but I don't really care. I've lost friends to drunk drivers and feel very strongly about this issue.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Anapuni...it's not the driver's parents who are suing. It's the parents of one of the deceased passengers.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Anapuni...it's not the driver's parents who are suing. It's the parents of one of the deceased passengers.
                    In that case they should sue the driver! Oops, his insurance company....

I agree that people should be responsible for their own actions, and not try to blame others who acted within the law, but those outside the law are fair game.

->K
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

• Re: Astounding crash in Kaneohe

Thanks TS - I thought it was the drivers parents. Kaonohi is correct - they should sue the driver's ins company, not the bar. and they also need to admit that their adult child made their own bad choices. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I just believe in taking responsibility for our actions. If something like this happened to my daughter - I'm sure I would feel the same anger & denial. Then I would hope that reality would set in and I could go on with my life. Without suing a bar. Maybe the bartender should have stopped serving them - but, they aren't cops and they aren't responsible if a person chooses to drink and drive. Even impaired, we are all still at choice in our own actions.

and just to be clear - someone in my immediate family did used to have a drinking problem and did drive drunk (including the wrong way on a busy Calif. freeway). they were lucky and no longer make those choices. and as for myself - yes, I do drink (see my signature below) but I don't have a car and don't drive. and I've taken a cab home many times to avoid a ride from a "friend" who had also been drinking.
                      Last edited by anapuni808; March 20, 2010, 07:39 PM.
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        yes, I do drink (see my signature below) but I don't have a car and don't drive. and I've taken a cab home many times to avoid a ride from a "friend" who had also been drinking.
                        yay for responsible drinking!
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Drinking is not a great habit to have but I enjoy my Bacardi & cokes. I'm not putting myself up as a good example of "responsible drinking". Its better not to drink at all.
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            Maybe the bartender should have stopped serving them - but, they aren't cops and they aren't responsible if a person chooses to drink and drive. Even impaired, we are all still at choice in our own actions.
                            No, bartenders aren't cops. And what's more, is the parents' lawsuit what their dead son would have wanted? I recall someone leaving an online comment on one of the newspaper's articles from last year who was acquainted with this young man, stating that he was a frequent patron of the Shack. If this is the case, he was probably friends with the employees there. Would he have wanted his folks to sue the Shack and jeopardize the jobs of his friends working there?

One would hope that the Cardenas family would carefully think about that for a moment and honestly answer that question for themselves before proceeding with their frivolous lawsuit.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Sorry to bring back an old thread-- still very important with all the crashes recently IMHO.

There was a guy who saw the blue Acura crash and saw the driver come tumbling out...lived in a house overlooking the freeway.

Supposedly the car hit the guardrail along the freeway and rode along it before landing on the onramp below, still moving toward the gas station and was torn in half by that big, thick metal pole that is right in front of the gas station.

He said there was a white VW, forget what model, that stopped and then took off. Anyone know what happened after that? I thought HPD was searching for it, but never heard what came of it.

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                              Anyone remember the accident on the H-1 a number of years ago near Kahala Mall? A 19-year-old careened over the side barrier and landed on the pavement of the Chevron station below. His car, an Acura Integra, broke in half upon impact. The kid was killed. It was alleged, but never proved, that racing was involved. What a tragic waste.

The demolished vehicle was there for a week or so as a silent monument. One father said that he took his son to see the wreck to impress on him the possible consequences of reckless driving.

I was shocked to learn that my sister knew the victim's family and that she was asked by his parents to plan the memorial service.
                              Last edited by pumpkinboy; March 21, 2010, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post

I'm sure, however, that the absence of a race track has caused a substantial number of car enthusiasts to break the laws far more often.
                                Totally disagree, the lack of a racetrack didn't CAUSE anyone to do anything.

Drivers who CHOOSE to drive at dangerous speeds make a conscious decision to break the law.

No one put a gun to their head and forced them to press the gas pedal harder.

Comment

Working...
                                X