Clear All

Re: SNL skit about Hawaii

it's satire, nothing offensive.

And "Aloha hard!" had me dying!
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Sorry, but as a local boy who used to work in a Waikiki hotel restaurant, that skit had me rolling. The Rock giving the "You know wat!?" was full of win.

Are mainland people really that gullible? In my experience, not really. Although I did successfully con a guy from New Zealand (for about an hour) into believing that Ala Moana was a "mall barge" - a permanently moored cargo barge at Aloha Tower that had been converted into our biggest shopping mall. "Dude seriously, you board the ship and all Prada and Gucci stores, but if you look real close you'll notice that all of the stores can be divided into 40'x8'x8' spaces - used shipping containers welded together. 'Ala Moana' means floating mall."

But generally speaking, no, people aren't that gullible.

Comment

The skit was a fairly accurate dramatization of an experience I had at the Crow's Nest in Waikiki about a decade ago. The entertainer didn't dance, but did spotlight the various tables and 'told story'.

More recently, a very good guitar player working at PCC (in the Hawaiian pavillion) also was free with his 'holier than thou' Hawaiian attitude and visitor potshots - I enjoyed his articulate take on what is usually seen in the less refined 'beat up a haole day' or 'no surf heah, dis my turf' scenario.

So, overall I found the skit reflective of reality. Also, I think The-Rock Obama is the best Obama mimic I've seen, hands down.
        Last edited by salmoned; March 9, 2009, 02:22 PM.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by mrwendell View Post
          Are mainland people really that gullible? In my experience, not really. Although I did successfully con a guy from New Zealand (for about an hour) into believing that Ala Moana was a "mall barge" - a permanently moored cargo barge at Aloha Tower that had been converted into our biggest shopping mall. "Dude seriously, you board the ship and all Prada and Gucci stores, but if you look real close you'll notice that all of the stores can be divided into 40'x8'x8' spaces - used shipping containers welded together. 'Ala Moana' means floating mall."

But generally speaking, no, people aren't that gullible.
          Sorry, but why would he not believe you? Sounds like you were trying to pull one over on him (albeit jokingly) but I guess your proposal doesn't sound too far fetched. How should he know what "ala moana" means? It's possible he was trying to humor you as some sort of crazy local. who knows.
          n'importe

Comment

The Advertiser is running a poll on this on the main page of their website. At the moment, with over 1,700 votes so far, 46% loved the skit, 36% had no opinion (so why did they bother to vote? ), and 18% hated the skit.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

It seemed to have been written by folks with "local" experience (did The Rock Johnson have a hand in it?) but was a little too angry. Could have been better with tweaking. Funny idea, though — "aloha" being an entertainment commodity.
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Who did The Rock based this character on? It would be intimidating if a big Hawaiian entertainer was angry in his nightclub act.

Comment

I thought it was amusing. But it rang rather true -- perhaps that's what some entertainers are thinking when they're stuck in jobs like that. Not unlike the poor guy on the "FreeCreditReport.com" commercials who has to wear a pirate outfit at a restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                    ...but it's basically the truth.
                    Yep. The cold hard sad truth, unfortunately.

Can I get a "h3ll yeah" from anyone out there working two crappy minimum wage jobs just trying to make ends meet and maybe making it work at least 8 months out of 12, with no benefits and no opportunity for advancement in said jobs? Yeah. Employment opportunities in Hawaii, saaaadly, are crummy. And yet, I still think it sucks when my/our friends and neighbors take off for the mainland for profitable, enriching careers.
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Well some folks feel "It went too far!".
                      Honolulu Advertiser article
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                        Well some folks feel "It went too far!".
                        Honolulu Advertiser article
                        Aww, Aiona got hurt feelings? Deal with it. The tourist industry borders on a culture of altruism amongst its employees.

On a side note, I'm surprised that he actually said something. I usually see him only at photo opportunities.
                        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

It's SNfreakingL. It is supposed to skewer for laughs.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                            I'm surprised that he actually said something. I usually see him only at photo opportunities.
                            He has to say something now. He wants to run for governor.

For Aiona it's OK to poke fun at everything else except Hawaii. Now we're going to get a rep that we can't laugh at ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                              He has to say something now. He wants to run for governor.
                              Bingo! He needs to get his name in the press.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                                Bingo! He needs to get his name in the press.
                                Maybe Aiona is ticked that Dwayne would rather play Obama in the movie than him.

Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                                X