Bored at the Doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bored at the Doctor

So I've been waiting 2 hours to be seen. I got here on time. There aren't any good magazines, I forgot my book, and I've studied the muscle/bone charts on the walls. Went to the bathroom twice. They switched me a different room and asked if I'd see the PA instead. Now I'm super wicked bored. So what do you do when you're stuck at the dr?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Re: Bored at the Doctor

Usually make use of the free wifi on my ipod...
    -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
      Usually make use of the free wifi on my ipod...
      Or smartphone!!! I assume you were using such a device in order to post from the exam room, SG!!!

I don't have a smartphone so I have videos on my iPod specifically for lengthy waits. The end of a video or 2 also acts as an alarm. If I'm still waiting I politely explain that my time is valuable, too, and I leave! This has happened 3 times at my doctor's office.

SG, was your battery low? Is that why you were reading charts? If not, you are holding an encyclopedia, newspapers and magazines in the palm of your hand.

And, yes, 2 hours is too long. That can happen at an ob/gyn's office when the doc is called out to delivery a baby. It can also happen to any doc called out on an emergency. Still, the staff should reschedule the waiting patients who don't have to see a doc that day.

Comment

On the blessedly rare occasions that I need to see a doctor, I always schedule my appointment to be the very first patient of the day. That almost always guarantees that you'll get right in. (It would probably also work to schedule it for the first appointment in the afternoon.)
        Once a doctor starts seeing patients each morning, there is absolutely no way of predicting how much time doctors have to spend with each patient, due to the incredible variety of issues that may arise with each person. It's simply impossible to predict how much time will be spent with each patient, so scheduling appointments can only rely on educated guesses, not confirmed times. Any doctor or nurse can verify that.
        My suggestion to everyone is to take a book. Or follow the other suggestions here.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I think about what I'm going to eat/make for dinner. Take out my little
          pocket spiral bound calendar and write about what I've eaten.....I'm
          always thinking about food! I'm going to a new doctor today so I'll
          probably end up waiting a long time although I'm fortunate to have
          gotten an appointment he's very much in demand. Sometimes I
          actually bring a book but most times I forget.

Boy what a long wait you had!

Comment

I know it's not their fault. Some patients take a lot longer than others. They were just really, really behind. I badly needed refills, or I would've asked to reschedule. The PA did say I was the nicest patient she'd had that day. I blame myself for running out of the house without my book, which I usually always bring with me. The first exam room also had a enthralling chart on the gastrointestinal system that I studied for about half an hour. Then I spun around on the stool for a while. The only magazine of offering was Garden and Gun and I just couldn't get into "Thirteen Ways of (Not) Looking at a Turkey" or "Why I'll Always Dream of My Father's House in Kentucky".

you are holding an encyclopedia, newspapers and magazines in the palm of your hand.
            You know, when faced with sheer boredom, I can never think of what to look at online. It's like I'm under pressure, so I panic and default to HT. Sad, I know. I never thought of watching a video. Duh.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I get *really* annoyed when I have to wait at the doctor longer than 40 minutes. I know they can do something about it because I've never had to wait at some doctors that ran their offices well and others that didn't I was waiting every single time I went there. I've actually sat in the waiting room while a doctor BSed with a patient about what they did over the weekend etc etc for like 15 minutes after I had already waited for 30 minutes, that was the closest I ever came to walking out.
              What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                I get *really* annoyed when I have to wait at the doctor longer than 40 minutes. I know they can do something about it because I've never had to wait at some doctors that ran their offices well and others that didn't I was waiting every single time I went there. I've actually sat in the waiting room while a doctor BSed with a patient about what they did over the weekend etc etc for like 15 minutes after I had already waited for 30 minutes, that was the closest I ever came to walking out.
                I worked in a doctor's office. The ones who can have you in and out lickety-split are the ones with their eyes on the clock--aka, they want to squeeze in as many patients as possible to maximize their insurance pay-outs. The old-school docs, the ones who actually took the time to get to know you--and chat with you and learn about you--those are the ones with the longer waiting times. If you are young and have minimal needs, the former docs are the ones for you. But as you grow older and your ailments get more complicated...well, I'd DEFINITELY go for the longer wait times.

Comment

My problem isn't when doctors take the time to chat and learn about you. I enjoy BSing with the doc as much as the next guy. My problem is when these doctors try to squeeze in as many patients as possible and then BS with the patients as if they only had one appointment per hour. Keep learning about the patients but don't be greedy - realize that you can't schedule as many in a day.
                  What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

my simple solution for appts @ md offices that often come with long waits is to call an hour in advance of the appt to ask if they're running late and how late they are running.

most of the time the staff is happy to tell you instead of having to give you looks that say, "i'm sorry you are bored of reading all 15 of our courtesy magazines."

when i can, i'll post the website where you can rate your md on various criteria, including how timely he or she is & whether you feel you had enough time with your md to discuss your concerns.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I nap. It's the most peaceful time ever. I'm so grateful for the opportunity.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                        My problem isn't when doctors take the time to chat and learn about you. I enjoy BSing with the doc as much as the next guy. My problem is when these doctors try to squeeze in as many patients as possible and then BS with the patients as if they only had one appointment per hour. Keep learning about the patients but don't be greedy - realize that you can't schedule as many in a day.
                        I read the above a few times but it went way above my head. Just couldn't understand it. What is BSing and BS ?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          On the blessedly rare occasions that I need to see a doctor, I always schedule my appointment to be the very first patient of the day. That almost always guarantees that you'll get right in.
                          I tried being my doctor's first appointment of the day but he was always 1 - 2 hours late arriving at his office so I still had to wait.

Comment

There are 12 doctors at 'The Elms' where I go and I can see any one I want.

They have a 'walk in session' for the first hour every morning. ( Mostly for the Smackheads).

I like to get an early appointment to see my favourite doctor. She is a lady doctor with a brain as quick as lightening and has made her way to the top in what is still considered in this country as a man's profession. Get my meaning ?

If I have to wait for a while, then I can watch the postural echo/body language of the junkies. It can be entertaining. ( I only go to the doctor every six weeks for my blood pressure tablets,,,,, Everything here has to be by prescriprion.)

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                              I read the above a few times but it went way above my head. Just couldn't understand it. What is BSing and BS ?
                              I think it stands for "Bull S$#t". In this context, it's the same as "shooting the breeze" or just yakking away.

Comment

Working...
                              X