I could have been mugged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could have been mugged

First off, let me say I wasn't in much danger, but an encounter occurred which created the potential. I just want to reflect on what happened and how I could have responded better.

I'm walking in a fairly safe and visible area, about a block from a bad neighborhood. I stop in the empty parking lot of a local business, because I see something on the ground I want to photograph. I put my backpack down and take out my DSLR. As I'm taking pictures, I occasionally look around, to make sure know one walks up on me. Next to this lot is a two-story, low income set of apartments.

A while later, a tinted car drives into the parking lot, but doesn't pull into a stall. I stop what I'm doing and look up at the car, to see if the driver wants to park where I'm standing (there were many other empty stalls nearby). Not wanting to stare too long, I go back to taking pictures. I actually have my eye up to the viewfinder, which is a mistake, because I don't notice a guy get out the the car and approach me (in hindsight, I should have pretended to fiddle with my camera, while keeping the car in the corner of my eye).

This seedy guy heads towards the apartments, but he goes out of his way to walk up to me. He calls out, "No take one picture of me, or you gotta pay me $10." He says this in a joking voice, and gets to within 2 arm lengths of my body. I smile at his joke, but perhaps I smile too much, in that appeasing sort of way you do at church (I think a neutral smile and slight nod would have been best). I don't shift my weight and angle my body in a more defensive manner. I have the frozen in the headlight thing as I'm trying to be sociable with an unexpected stranger.

The guy walks past me and heads to the apartments, I go back to taking pictures, and the tinted car continues to idle without parking. A few minutes later the guy comes back with what appears to be a laundry basket full of stuff and a towel thrown over it. He passes to within an arms length from me and says jokingly, "If you take one picture of my reflection, you gotta pay $5."

I was shooting an oil slicked puddle at the time. So this guy is paying close attention to me, and even though he acts like a hapless local, his mind is sharp enough to think about photos of reflections. Once again I smile too much, and try to joke back, but he ignores me and keeps on walking. He doesn't really care to socialize.

Before he can get into the waiting car, a woman from the apartments tells him to get his other car out of her stall. They argue like people who've known each other for a while. He swears in annoyance, puts the basket in the waiting car, and walks back to the apartments.

At this point I stow my camera away and start walking home, leaving these questionable characters behind me. A few minutes later I hear a car honk as the guy drives past me (I recognized the tattoo on his bicep). He's letting me know he's got his eyes on me. He pulls into a school parking lot I'm walking past. I keep walking, occasionally looking back to make sure he's not watching or following.

So was he thinking of mugging me for my camera? I doubt it. Odds are he was a criminal up to no good, and didn't like the idea of being photographed. But let's assume he and his friends in the car were a bunch of crack heads looking for easy cash. My first mistake was continuing to take pictures and not being aware of his initial approach. Secondly, I was a little too friendly, marking me as an easy target (people who survive rough neighborhoods aren't friendly with strangers for a reason). I also remained where I was, allowing him to cut off my main avenue of escape. Finally, I didn't adjust my body into a more defensible position, when he entered my personal space.

Intellectually I know what I should have done, but it isn't instinctual. Hey, I grew up in Pearl City where the retired Japanese folks aren't too dangerous (unless they're behind the wheel). Guess I should count my lucky stars this wasn't a lesson from the school of hard knocks.

P.S.

Our zip code is low income, which sees a fair amount of crime. What makes the little area where I live an oasis is the main streets w/ stores and restaurants, creating foot traffic. A lot of eyeballs aren't good for crime. Jane Jacobs was spot on in her book, "The Life and Death of Great American Cities"
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: I could have been mugged

Thanks for sharing that. It reminded me of the time I was chased out for taking pickies
    I was at a car boot sale/swap meets, over there. The colours and the dis-array were fascinating to me. I went 'round snapping everything until I was thrown out !
    Many of the sellers 'sign on' with the social services here to get money as being out of work. They were disturbed in case I was a snoop.

The following Tuesday, I went back without my camera and talked to the stall holders. We all had a good laugh about it. In fact one even asked me to keep an eye on his stall while he went to sign on !.

Comment

Situational awareness is a major part of avoiding getting mugged.

A friend who works with the LA County Sherriff's dept told me that guys in prison told him they key-in on people who look like potential victims.

Staying aware and not acting afraid is part of it. Helps to know a thing or two about basic self defense. Knowing how to handle myself in case something bad happens helped get me through a couple of situations in which I thought I was going to face some trouble.

I had a very good idea of what to do, almost instinctively. And I also practiced basic defensive arts, so I was confident that if something happened the other guy was going to get hurt. I might not be unscathed but I took on the attitude that no matter what happened, the other guy was going to pay for being a jerk.

Maybe it showed. Nothing much developed. And I'm just of average height and a skinny guy. Being able to walk away without resorting to violence is the best way to win a fight.

I noticed that animals sense it, too. So I haven't had much trouble with dogs, either.

Comment

You were right to be aware that the situation could have gone bad. Wasn't the tourist recently murdered at Nanakuli Beach Park over an incident which began with a photo? Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and not extracting yourself from it quickly, can have terrible consequences.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Being aware of youre surroundings is thee main thing when its you or you and someone else and so forth.
          I do have to share that in my high school years I was cutting thru the stairs heading to pearlridge mall and this guy wanted me to fork up my wallet and a big guy myself I just kept walking.

Here in SF there are a lot of cedy areas and I try to steer as far away as much as possible. The only area that I have to trek/pass thru is good ol Tenderloin in SF.

Comment

Of course, that man could simply have been curious about what you were doing. You're an unfamiliar face in what used to be his neighborhood. (Sounds like he was moving out of that apartment.) If you were standing around with a camera in an empty parking lot and taking a picture for reasons that are not readily apparent (and a puddle of oil isn't the most obvious candidate for a snapshot), he might have approached you simply to get a closer look at what was captivating your attention.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Your story, MJ, reminds me of a close encounter I had about 20 years ago. Egads...it's been 20 years already!

Anyway, I was staying at the LAX Day's Inn motel for my daughter's college graduation. My parents had the room across from me. They checked out one morning and put their bags in my room. Toward the end of the day they picked up their bags to leave.

When we opened my hotel room door there were 3 or 4 "kids" (probably very early 20s) hanging out in the hall. My folks left. The kids also left, riding the same elevator. My folks went to their car in the parking garage. The kids weren't far behind according to my dad. Nothing eventful happened and it never occurred to my dad that the kids were following them.

I began changing out of my good clothes and was half nekkid when there was a knock on my door. I knew it was my dad but being half nekkid I didn't throw open the door as I normally would have. I had my hand on the door knob and checked the peep hole. I saw no one, but there was another knock! Talk about an adrenaline rush. I just KNEW something was amiss at that point.

All I said was, "Yes?". And then I saw a piece of one of the "kids". Another one said, "Can you show me where the ice maker is?". There was one of those ice making machines on each floor. I said, "I'm calling the police." They ran like hell. I called the front desk. Not one employee came to check on me...not that I would've opened the door, of course!

There's no doubt in my mind that had I opened the door I would've had 3-4 very unwelcomed roommates who were not watching out for my well being. I'm not easily scared but I knew they were hell bent on committing a crime. Woman's intuition, methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                The following Tuesday, I went back without my camera and talked to the stall holders. We all had a good laugh about it.
                I think it's great that you took a negative experience and turned it into a positive one. Going back took courage, and leaving the camera showed respect. You made friends and learned about people's lives. Way cool!

And I know what you mean by being taken over by the camera bug. That's one of my favorite things about photography, going out of your comfort zone to get a shot.

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                A friend who works with the LA County Sherriff's dept told me that guys in prison told him they key-in on people who look like potential victims.
                That makes sense, since crime is a business. Investors seek maximum gains from minimal risk and effort. Of course, just as there are stupid investors, there are desperate crack heads.

if something happened the other guy was going to get hurt. I might not be unscathed but I took on the attitude that no matter what happened, the other guy was going to pay for being a jerk.
                Yeah. If you go into a fight hoping you won't get hurt, you'll get creamed.

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                You were right to be aware that the situation could have gone bad. Wasn't the tourist recently murdered at Nanakuli Beach Park over an incident which began with a photo? Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and not extracting yourself from it quickly, can have terrible consequences.
                Wasn't that Kakaako Park? Anyways, I remember the story. I can totally see how the tourist misread the situation. When some people are angry, they smile and joke around.

The guy I ran into joked and smiled, but he was not interested in being friends. I'm pretty sure if I snapped his picture, he would have been all over me, and his friends would have jumped out of the car.

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                I do have to share that in my high school years I was cutting thru the stairs heading to pearlridge mall and this guy wanted me to fork up my wallet and a big guy myself I just kept walking.
                Yeah, a lot of punks used to hang out at Pearlridge, until they owners cracked down and hired a lot of security. The "Downtown" section has that security kiosk where they show off video from all their surveillance cameras. Seems to have worked. I wonder where all the punks hang out now.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Of course, that man could simply have been curious about what you were doing.
                You're right, I have no way of knowing what his intentions were, but irregardless of his disposition, I could have done things to improve my safety.

I'm pretty sure when he said it'd cost me $10 to take his picture, what he meant was, "You take my picture and you'll pay the price."
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  All I said was, "Yes?". And then I saw a piece of one of the "kids". Another one said, "Can you show me where the ice maker is?". There was one of those ice making machines on each floor. I said, "I'm calling the police." They ran like hell. I called the front desk. Not one employee came to check on me...not that I would've opened the door, of course!
                  OMG, chicken skin! I'm so glad nothing happened, and that you're with us today. I'm glad your parents weren't hurt either. Whew.

Thanks for sharing your stories, everyone :_)
                  "

Comment

I'm not paranoid, but my head is on a swivel like I'm on the special teams on a football field when in unfamiliar surroundings. The tragic killing of the teacher at the Ewa shopping center brought out that budget cuts resulted in crazy people could be walking around anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                      Wasn't that Kakaako Park? Anyways, I remember the story. I can totally see how the tourist misread the situation. When some people are angry, they smile and joke around."
                      http://archives.starbulletin.com/200...s/story07.html

Date: May 22, 2007

"Wong, the deputy city prosecutor, said Schnabel's [the accused] companion, Nicole Ako, will testify that Reuther [the tourist] took another picture of Schnabel, which upset Schnabel. He said Ako also will testify that Schnabel told Reuther to leave the park but that Reuther did not leave quickly enough.

Later, Schnabel (Less/Les Schnabel Jr) was sentenced to 20 years in prison for manslaughter.
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        budget cuts resulted in crazy people could be walking around anywhere.
                        Not to mention economic hardship pushing more people into desperation.

Thanks for digging up the link. Wonder why I thought it was Kakaako. I'm glad Schnabe's self defense argument didn't sway the jury.

Barry:

I once took pictures of pot holes, for a claim I was filing against the city for tire damage. It was in front of this fenced house, in a questionable neighborhood. The owner / renter stood at the fence, looking a bit nervous. I didn't strike up a conversation. I assumed it wouldn't go anywhere, but who knows.
                        "

Comment

Here are the pics I "risked life and limb" to get. Oh the sacrifices I make for my "art"

LOL

*smirk*

"

Comment

Beautiful photos!
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Very cool, MJ!

Comment

Working...
                              X