Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking with a microwave oven

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Helen, the one you bought is only 700 watts, while most microwaves are 1,000 or 1,200 watts. Ergo, you'll have to cook things longer. Check the packaging on things and see what the suggested time is. Most of them will say that the listed time is for a 1,000 or 1,200 watt unit, so you'll need to make adjustments.
    In almost all of the frozen foods I checked out they usually list the wattage of the microwave oven in the directions. I think the ones that didn't list it I did not purchase. After purchasing the oven I then purchased a box of White Castle cheeseburgers and Foster Farms Corn Dogs from Sam's Club. I know the cheeseburgers I had to heat them up an additional 15 to 20 seconds after the initial 1 minute at 1000 watts that the directiions call for.

The corn dogs on the other hand I have been getting mixed results. The instructions say 60 seconds for a 1000 watt oven, after some trial and error I found that if I heat a couple of corn dogs for 35 seconds and then rotate them 180 degrees and heat it again for 35 to 40 more seconds I should have a couple of nicely warmed corn dogs. However if I just heat up just one corn dog, it will burst out of the battered covering.

I tried doing the Kraft Mac & Cheese that come in bowls, they are petty much okay with the timing even through their instructions is for a 1000+ watt oven, the noodles come out okay but the amount of water that remains behind might make for a runny cheese sauce. The other good thing about this product is that it's not a frozen food item.

Frozen meals on the other hand sometimes might need to buy two of the same selection. This past Monday's experience had the instructions on the bottom of the box that also had to be inserted into the microwave so it was kind of hard to read (or remember) the second heating step.

Re: Cooking with a microwave oven

Helen you are doing very well but it does take a bit of time to experiement and get things right. Soon you find your own favourite recipes and have the timing down to a fine art.
    As tutusue advised,,,, please don't overload your power supply. Turn off appliances which you don't need when you are using your M/W.
    When you turn them back on later, if their timers need re-setting So What ? It won't take you long to do that.

Comment

Always read your owner's manual. The instructions tend to yield better result than the food product's cooking instructions.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

A good tip Helen. I get a couple of lemons, cut them in half and then each half in a cup with a sprinkle of salt in the centre of the lemon.
        I store these in the fridge.
        After using the m/w, I switch off and put one of of my lemon cups inside. It not only leaves your m/w smelling fresh but the salt will absorb any moisture.

You will also have a nice smell to your fridge. On average, two lemons last me for a month and I do a lot of cooking.

Comment

One of the first cookbooks I ever picked up came with my parents' Panasonic Genius microwave. This stuffed bell peppers recipe is quite similar to the one that came in that book. It was always a hit back in college. I would always substitute ground turkey and brown rice though.

Nowadays for a quick snack I'll occasionally poach an egg white in the micro to top a slice of toast with turkey ham and provolone. To poach an egg white, I spray a ramekin with some olive oil and drizzle the white with 1/4 tsp of water before covering with cling wrap and zapping for 38 seconds on 80% or Medium. No more Breakfast Jacks for me.

Here are some recipes from the Panasonic website if you really want to get down. The Citrus Prawn Risotto veers a bit from the original, but it might work with a few tweaks.
          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

*bump*

Helen...how do you like your microwave? Are you using it much? What do you like most...and least...about it?

Comment

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_gr...ens.html?pg=15

Fact or Fiction?

Comment

The small size and wattage of the microwave seems to work for me. My freezer is small too so I am limited to those one person sized pizzas.

Comment

Can't remember whether or not you have a Costco membership, Helen, but it has a box of 4 or 6 individual teriyaki rice bowls...the kind with chicken and veggies. Those are really good.

Comment

The Ala Moana Foodland Deli sells meat loaf and salmon by the slice that needs to be heated and the microwave does it pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                      The Ala Moana Foodland Deli sells meat loaf and salmon by the slice that needs to be heated and the microwave does it pretty well.
                      That's a perfect use for the MW, Helen. I make my own "tv dinners" using Safeway deli's meatloaf and mashed potatoes then add frozen veggies. I get 4 meals out of one meatloaf so I end up with 4 tv dinners in the freezer for when I'm feeling too lazy to cook. I also make tv dinners from Costco's rotisserie chicken, brown rice and a frozen veggie. Get lotsa tv dinners from that chicken.

Comment

Working...
                      X