On-line music stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-line music stores

Besides the iTunes store are there any other similar places where one can purchase and download music via the Internet?

Re: On-line music stores

- Amazon is awesome
    - E Music is awright but selections are limited, what is avail is ummm good providing if you are willing to do an extensive search.
    - Was not keen on Napster

Comment

GeckoGeek turned me on to SpiralFrog.

Comment

I am a hardcore fanboy of eMusic.com. I disagree with Danny's assessment; yes, the selections are limited, but that's true of any store. What store has a limitless selection? I do agree that if you're only familiar with mainstream artists, you may have difficulty finding stuff that excites you, but if you're the sort to enjoy a wide range of styles, or if you like hearing musicians who miss most mainstream media's radars, or if you like listening to music that's going to be popular later, eMusic is a great service. I get 90 MP3 downloads per month for $20 and each month, I discover more cool stuff than my 90 downloads allow. My "save for later" list (which is a bit like a Netflix queue...stuff you plan to download eventually) hit 500 album titles this month, the highest allowed.

Almost every album I wrote about in this thread was something I got from eMusic.com. You can't get the 90/$20 deal anymore (I was grandfathered when the price structure was redone), but you can get any of these plans:

30 song downloads for $11.99 per month
        50 song downloads for $14.99 per month
        75 song downloads for $19.99 per month

It should be pointed out that 30 downloads in the iTunes store or at Amazon.com will cost you about $30 if you buy them song-by-song.

If you decide to sign up, let me send you an invitation first; I'll get referral downloads.

I was stoked last week to find that Motley Crue's entire catalogue is now available on eMusic. Very cool.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          GeckoGeek turned me on to SpiralFrog.
          Too bad... they just went out of business today, so anything you bought will not work after 60 days...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10200722-93.html

Between Amazon & iTunes, that's really all you need.
          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

I'm a diehard vinyl and CD junkie, but I do like what eMusic has to offer as far as MP3's are concerned. Lots of diversity. I've never bought anything from iTunes and don't plan on doing so, but podcasts are readily available for free there.

Other decent places with legit MP3's include Other Music and CDBaby.

Comment

Let me clarify that E Music like I said is good but the selections I WANTED was limited. The Navaigation is extensive and the price breakdown is a bargain versus iTunes & Amazon. I definately got some good MP3's when I was a member but decided to moooooove on.

Comment

Any of the online music stores that offer their song selections without DRM are good. With no DRM, you can play your purchased tracks in almost anything.

However be aware of the file formats the music stores offer. Most offer non-DRM MP3 which is pretty much universal to all platforms.

Be aware that iTunes offer most of their songs in non-DRM AAC, with some still in Protected AAC.

MP3 song files play on most players, AAC limited mostly to iPods and Apple products though some other players such as the Sony PSP, and the upcoming Nintendo DSi will take AAC files (but more than likely not the "protected" DRM ones).

I have found Amazon's pricing to be the best currently. Most tracks are 99¢ with some as low as 79¢ or 89¢. Amazon.com currently does not apply the State of Hawaii GE Tax to purchases.

At this time iTunes individual track purchases are 99¢ each song. Earlier this year they reached an agreement with the record companies to go to a tiered pricing scheme, with some tracks selling for as low as 69¢ each but others selling for as high as $1.29 each. The base price will still be 99¢ though it can be assumed that the latest tracks by the hottest artists will be priced at the higher tier. Plus because Apple has a physical presence in Hawaii, they tack on the State GE Tax to EVERY track purchased.

iTunes tiered pricing is supposed to start sometime next month.

I used to be on eMusic for a short while a long time ago. They used to offer something like 40 songs for the monthly fee. However shortly after I joined they reduced the number of songs you could download with the monthly fee. I quit because of that. eMusic's selection is limited, but I did manage to buy up most of the Creedence Clearwater Revival tracks that I did not have from them.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  Any of the online music stores that offer their song selections without DRM are good. With no DRM, you can play your purchased tracks in almost anything.
                  One point about DRM: just because a company that offers DRM music seems like an American fixture, don't expect your files to last as long as the company does.

Take Wal-Mart as an example. They discontinued their DRM music service and the customers were left high and dry.

http://walmartwatch.com/blog/archive..._the_internet/

Comment

Customers should avoid any online store that sells their music with DRM.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                      Too bad... they just went out of business today, so anything you bought will not work after 60 days...
                      Bummer. Fortunately, you don't buy things from them. Just visit the site every 30 days or so to see the ads. So only time and diskspace is lost, no money.

However, this should serve as a warning about paying money for DRM music.

I still subscribe to eMusic. It's a good place to be if you like exploring. Among other things, you can find HT's own Tikiyaki's CD there. The bit rate is typically 256Kb/sec so no complaints about sound quality. And NO DRM. But you also have to wade though a whole lot of crap too. A lot of remakes by a band of the same name were only the tambourine player is "original". I have noticed things disappearing from eMusic. I think some artists only place the lower end of their catalog there and pull it if it picks up. So it pays to re-search for things.

Comment

Be aware that iTunes offer most of their songs in non-DRM AAC, with some still in Protected AAC.

MP3 song files play on most players, AAC limited mostly to iPods and Apple products though some other players such as the Sony PSP, and the upcoming Nintendo DSi will take AAC files (but more than likely not the "protected" DRM ones).
                        I thought the iTunes software could convert non-DRM AAC files to MP3?

If not, then those AAC songs you purchase from Apple's store aren't really DRM-free, are they?
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Yes, you can convert the non-DRM AAC songs to DRM-free MP3. Just another step to cope with if you have plenty of AAC songs. Easier if you just went straight MP3 and bought from like Amazon.com. Of course they say AAC sounds better than MP3. I don't know, my stereo equipment is not that high end to tell the difference.

I still listen to my vinyl records of all things!
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Yes, you can convert the non-DRM AAC songs to DRM-free MP3. Just another step to cope with if you have plenty of AAC songs.
                            Well, however inconvenient it may be, the option to convert MP3 is there. As long as you can do that, then you have the ability to readily enjoy your iTunes store-bought music on any device of your choosing and to make backup copies.

Customers should avoid any online store that sells their music with DRM.
                            Here's my position on DRM: If the music companies want to restrict my usage of the music, just as PC software manufacturers restrict the usage of their product by entering into a license agreement with their consumers, then I want the same kind of rights and considerations that software consumers typically have. In particular, I want the record label to furnish me with a replacement copy of the music file should my initial copy become corrupted, damaged, or otherwise unuseable.

When music was sold on older media like vinyl, tape or CD, consumers couldn't ask the labels for a replacement should the media deteriorate or somehow become damaged. But at the same time, the older media was free of DRM restrictions. This allowed consumers the option of making backup copies, should the originals become unuseable. But if the labels are going to start using DRMs that restrict my ability to make backup copies, then I sure as hell want them to provide me with a replacement should my original go bad, rather than force me to purchase it again. It's only fair. Why should the music companies try to have it both ways?
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I agree with you on the DRM issue.

However currently the record companies do not agree with the "replacement of digital copy" theory if something goes wrong with the original. I wish they did.

That is one reason, if at all possible and it remains affordable, I try to stick with CDs for my major record album purchases. I've pretty much limited digital buying to single tracks only. After all digital is the ideal medium to buy only those tracks like off of an album that may have only mediocre to bad songs with only one song a gem.

I have noticed that CD sections at the remaining retailers selling CDs are slowly shrinking. I'm gravitating more toward Amazon.com for CD purchases since BestBuy and WalMart's CD sections have shrunken in recent months.

I rather convert my CD tracks to MP3 and play those all of the time like how I did it with analog formats such as vinyl (mixed tape cassettes anyone?)...

Getting back to DRM, the record as well as the movie/TV companies would love to have us buy the same content over and over.

And to a degree I have.... Many albums and singles that I originally had on vinyl I upgraded to CD. When video was around I bought Beta, and did a slight upgrade to VHS and a major upgrade to DVD when I moved many of my tape collection to the DVD format.

As you know most all commercial DVDs are DRM'd, though there are ways to get around that to make copies to play on your computer or mobile device.

As far as I know all digital video copies that you purchase from iTunes or Amazon or other online retailers are DRM'd... and only play on certain players... iTunes only on Apple and iPods and Amazon's stuff only on other players but not iPods. Humbug.

And now the movie companies probably want to have you buy your entire DVD collection all over again by pushing Blue Ray DVD or some other downloadable digital format in the future. Will we bite.... again?
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X