Another Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Newbie

Hello everyone. What can I say? I'm a private person and I love to joke around with people online.

I ended up here when I was doing research. If I want to post a question about what a Hawaiian word means, where would I post it at? There's a lot of threads here which is overwhelming for me. But I know that eventually I'll get used to it.

I'm not from Hawaii and I never been there but in my mind, I wish I was. I became fascinated with Hawaii for a long time now when my friend thought I am from Hawaii because of my time (late) online playing games. I hardly know any Hawaiian words but "Mahalo" (thank you" "Aloha" (hi and bye) and "Tutu" (grandmother.) How do you say great-grandmother in Hawaiian?

For my research, I have a question. What would a mother call her daughter in Hawaiian, (a sweet pet name)? For example, in English, there's "sweetie", "Honey," "Sweetheart", etc. Oh and what would an uncle call his niece as a pet name? What about to his nephew?

See you soon. I'm off to nose around the board.
    "Where there is child-like innocence there is also joy, laughter and love. Embrace your inner child," ~R11

"People are stupid, and stupid people have stupid friends, and they all had to come here and be stupid together!" Sookie from "Gilmore Girls." lol!

Re: Another Newbie

Originally posted by Water_Lily View Post
    If I want to post a question about what a Hawaiian word means, where would I post it at? There's a lot of threads here which is overwhelming for me. But I know that eventually I'll get used to it.
    Try looking here first.

Comment

Thanks. I tried it but I couldn't find a word in Hawaiian for "Sweetie", etc.
      "Where there is child-like innocence there is also joy, laughter and love. Embrace your inner child," ~R11

"People are stupid, and stupid people have stupid friends, and they all had to come here and be stupid together!" Sookie from "Gilmore Girls." lol!

Comment

Welcome to HT! Do you play WoW?

I don't know about anyone else but my (Hawaiian) great grandparents were still tutu to me, with their name added after. I tend to call my grandmother just tutu unless I'm talking to my kids in which I call her tutu (insert first name) as *my* mom is just tutu to them. For example, a beloved great grandma of mine was tutu Manu. She had a very Christian first name (like most Hawaiians in her day) but she was always called by her shortened middle. My kids seem to go between calling my grandma tutu and "Hawaiian great grandma" though I wish they'd just settle on tutu.

Then there are others in my family that call my grandma by grandma but with her town in front of that. For example, "Kunia Grandma" Annnd there are other pet names for her but that's just off topic.

Anyway, it probably differs around the isles. Every family has their own thing, you know?

Aloha,
        Lei
        I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Wow, thank you so much Lei.

No, I don't play WoW. I play COH/COV.

Thanks so much for the thorough info. I truly appreciate it.
          Many hugs.

Comment

ahhh. The kane used to play COH/COV (especially COV) a couple of years back. We were just talking about it yesterday, actually. He's been off those sort of games in favor of xbox live for a loooong time but he *loved* COV. He had a character that was very strong and popular on there. Are there still a decent amount of people on there?
            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Oh cool.. oh The Kane doesn't play it anymore?

Yes, there's still people on COH/COH. But it has been less compared to 2004. But during the holidays and when they have "Double XP" weekend, more people show up. The lowest populated is during late night. Usually played by late nighters or players from Australia. But in the mornings, there's still enough wandering around each zone.

Comment

Working...
              X