Waikiki dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Waikiki dying

Tourist traffic is DEFINITELY down in the evenings in Waikiki. I used to walk every evening, and it was quite a challenge to dodge and weave in and out of the meandering pedestrians when I was in my speed walking mode. Now I barely have to alter my path at all, even in the busiest areas near the street performers.

The crowd is different too--more European/American/Australian tourists. Not so many Japanese.

Interesting thing though...I'm seeing more local people in Waikiki now...

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      Too funny.

I've been away from the internet due to being busy in Waikiki!

Waikiki is alive and well.

Balloon man went to Ireland two weeks ago. It's Spring break and the the place is hopping. Waikiki is always busy with tourists from all over the world.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn

Great to see you back

Comment

Too funny.

I've been away from the internet due to being busy in Waikiki!

Waikiki is alive and well.

Balloon man went to Ireland two weeks ago. It's Spring break and the the place is hopping. Waikiki is always busy with tourists from all over the world.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
        It was nice chatting with you briefly when I was on my morning walk. I have to remember to keep an eye out for you. Are you mostly working there during the day?

Comment

I receive a monthly email newsletter from Oahu realtor George Stott. This is part of what he had to say in this mornings April newsletter:

"Lucky you live Hawaii!" is getting grimmer. The plummeting economic
          conditions in our 50th state mirror what is occurring throughout much of the
          Mainland. Hawaii had its largest decline in tourist arrivals last year since
          the state started keeping statistics in 1927. Visitor spending was down $1.2
          billion comparing calendar year 2008 to 2007.
          I don't know if his statistics are valid or not.

The economy will rebound! In many ways, I think it is good for the economy to go through a "house cleaning" periodically. It makes you appreciate more, what you do have.
          Last edited by matapule; April 4, 2009, 07:02 AM.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
            Interesting thing though...I'm seeing more local people in Waikiki now...
            The economic downturn might give Waikīkī businesses an opportunity to appeal to locals who wouldn't have gone near the place for some time - an opportunity for residents to reclaim a piece of their own Honolulu.
            Originally posted by matapule View Post
            In many ways, I think it is good for the economy to go through a "house cleaning" periodically. It makes you appreciate more, what you do have.
            Indeed. The end of an era of American excess is healthy. Our economy has been morbidly obese for some time, and we're suffering the consequences. The people who have been pushing to simplify their lives may be the ones suffering the least, from what I observe.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              The economic downturn might give Waikīkī businesses an opportunity to appeal to locals who wouldn't have gone near the place for some time - an opportunity for residents to reclaim a piece of their own Honolulu.
              Some businesses (like the high-end designer stores and virtually all the vendors at the International Market Place) simply won't be able to attract any local customers. And those who can attract some dollars from the kama'aina market (the live shows, restaurants, hotels) won't be able to survive either if their revenues weren't augmented with tourist dollars.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              The end of an era of American excess is healthy. Our economy has been morbidly obese for some time, and we're suffering the consequences. The people who have been pushing to simplify their lives may be the ones suffering the least, from what I observe.
              Depends. Someone could have been very fiscally prudent and thrifty for much of their lives,..... and still be suffering today because they unexpectedly lost their job as a result of the recession. Not everyone in dire straits were reckless spenders or were among those who had gotten in over their head in the subprime mortgage debacle. There are a lot of innocent victims in this economic downturn.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Someone could have been very fiscally prudent and thrifty for much of their lives,..... and still be suffering today because they unexpectedly lost their job as a result of the recession. Not everyone in dire straits were reckless spenders or were among those who had gotten in over their head in the subprime mortgage debacle. There are a lot of innocent victims in this economic downturn.
                Indeed. There is no one specific "class" whose members are all suffering or surviving to an equal degree. Your last sentence (highlighting mine) is sadly accurate.

Comment

I was curious to see what Waiks was like after reading this thread and having been gone for a while.

My opinion is. Waiks screams "What recession?"

Man it's crowded done there. tons of people even on weekday nights. I thought i might get to come to Waiks and enjoy not so many peeps being there, but I was dead wrong. Beaches still look like the "red crabs on Christmas Island" with all the people.

website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                  blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                    I was curious to see what Waiks was like after reading this thread and having been gone for a while.

My opinion is. Waiks screams "What recession?"

Man it's crowded done there. tons of people even on weekday nights. I thought i might get to come to Waiks and enjoy not so many peeps being there, but I was dead wrong.
                    Yep! I just got off work. It was a busy night as ever and moa so on a Friday night. Soooo many people. Which is great.

In beautiful, magical Waikiki!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Yep! I just got off work. It was a busy night as ever and moa so on a Friday night. Soooo many people. Which is great.

In beautiful, magical Waikiki!

Auntie Lynn
                      Hi Auntie Lynn

you work in Waiks? whereabouts?

Comment

Hi Auntie Lynn

you work in Waiks? whereabouts?
                        heheheh

International Mkt. Place/Waikiki Town Center

Comment

heheheh

International Mkt. Place/Waikiki Town Center

I was just down there tonight. I'll have to look for you to say hi next time!

Comment

I was just down there tonight. I'll have to look for you to say hi next time!
                            I'd love that.

I'm "OFF" Wed. and Sat.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I was in Waikiki for the MDA Soiree Saturday night at the Royal Hawaiian.

The streets looked PACKED to me.

And this is April. Not the peak season.

Comment

Can you imagine what it would like with nobody in Waikiki?. No traffic, papers blowing across the street and dead silent. It reminds me of that movie way back when called "The Omega Man". Ok I'm giving away my age ...

Worse yet if the Tweakers come out at night. and it has nothing to do with Twitter either.

Omg where's my imagination is taking me. Lets stop there.
                                Follow Me

Comment

Working...
                                X