Obama’s Aunt an Illegal Immigrant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama’s Aunt an Illegal Immigrant?

From Wikipedia: (Barack Obama’s Aunt Zeituni) Onyango came again to America on temporary visa in 2000 along with a son who had been accepted at a college in Boston. [...] In 2002, Onyango, a native of Kenya, sought political asylum in the United States citing violence: Kenya and East Africa have seen an escalation in violence in the 2000s. Her case was denied in 2004 but she remained in South Boston, Massachusetts, and has since retained legal representation. [...] Her case became the subject of international media attention highlighting “the hot-button topic of illegal immigration...”

Fast forward to April Fool’s Day 2009:

Judge extends Obama aunt's stay in United States

Wed Apr 1, 2009 12:42pm EDT

BOSTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama’s Kenyan aunt, who was ordered deported five years ago, can stay in the United States legally until next year when she makes a new asylum bid, an immigration judge ruled on Wednesday.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Obama’s Aunt an Illegal Immigrant?

If she is purusing a legal way to stay in this country, then why is this a case of "Illegal Immigration"?
    Last edited by helen; April 1, 2009, 11:44 AM.

Comment

"BOSTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama’s Kenyan aunt, who was ordered deported five years ago, can stay in the United States legally until next year when she makes a new asylum bid, an immigration judge ruled on Wednesday."

So? I don't have any problem with this whatsoever. I'd think she probably is concerned for her safety if she is sent back. I mean, the lady is seeking asylum from Kenya! Remember their 2007 election over there? 1000 were killed and over a hundred thousand were directly affected. Who'd want to be sent back there? Especially if you had family elsewhere - like in some non war torn country. Especially if you're the US president's relative!
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        If she is purusing a legal way to stay in this country, then why is this a case of "Illegal Immigration"?
        I assume you mean “pursuing” a legal remedy. I think today’s Boston Globe gives you a definitive answer:

(Onyango) has been living illegally in the United States, most recently in a South Boston public housing development.

Asylum seekers must show that they fear persecution based on race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a social group.

[...]

In 2003, a judge ordered her to leave the country, but she stayed. Later that year, she tried to stay again. But she lost the appeal, and an immigration judge ordered her deported in October 2004.

Instead, Onyango remained in Boston and lived in state and federal public housing. Critics have denounced her for defying deportation and for living in public housing while scores of families are on waiting lists.

Her lawyers successfully argued to reopen her case in December.

The case is widely seen as a test for Obama on immigration enforcement. The president, who said he had been unaware of her immigration problems, has vowed to stay out of the case.
        An alien is someone who is present in a country (which is foreign to him/her) unlawfully or without the country’s authorization may be called an illegal alien of that country. Onyango was allowed to voluntarily comply with the judge’s order, which she did not. She fled Boston in November to avoid the media and since then has been living with relatives, until this closed-door hearing. Clearly, there were needy U.S. citizens who could have used her vacant spot in public housing in the meantime.

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        I'd think she probably is concerned for her safety if she is sent back. I mean, the lady is seeking asylum from Kenya! Remember their 2007 election over there? 1000 were killed and over a hundred thousand were directly affected. Who'd want to be sent back there? Especially if you had family elsewhere - like in some non war torn country. Especially if you're the US president's relative!
        AP did an interesting story last March on Onyango’s exercise of the little-used provision in U.S. immigration rules that allows denied asylum claims to be reheard if applicants can show that something has changed.

Aunty Zeituni’s case may or may not have merit, but the article rattles off some dubious statistics:

Over the past decade, relatively few Kenyans have sought asylum in the United States: 223 in fiscal year 2007 — compared with 7,934 asylum requests from China and 10,522 from El Salvador — and only 50 Kenyans that year were granted asylum.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Well, looks it’s the moment of truth for Aunty Zeituni:

Obama aunt arrives for her 2nd asylum hearing

USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Must run in the family...

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/feb...eborah22-2.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
              There you go again Bob, getting things all screwed up!

Yes, Kenya is the birthplace of Barack Obama.........Barrack Obama Senior. Barack Obama Junior, POTUS was born in Hawai'i. Barack Obama is named after his father. They share the same name. But you already knew that, didn't you!

When the preacher interviewed junior's tutu in Kenya over the telephone last year, he asked, "was Barack Obama born in Kenya?" She said, "yes he was born in Kenya." He said, "you mean the President of the United States was born in Kenya?" She said, "oh no, my son Barack was born in Kenya, my grandson was born in Hawai'i." He said, "what you are telling me is that the President of the United States was born in Kenya?" She said, "no he wasn't."

The good reverend cut out the part where she said, "no" and patched together where she said, "yes." I listened to the whole tape, did you Bob?

Cut out the crap, Bob.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Interestingly, the National Post calls Aunty Zeituni “a case that risks embarrassing the U.S. President.” I never thought about it that way. So far, Barack Obama has not involved himself in the case in any way, except that he is a relative of Ms. Onyango. Incidentally, the Boston Globe reports that Judge Shapiro has given attorneys on both sides 30 days to file a written closing brief, before he makes a ruling.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                X