City Council Elections: District 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: City Council Elections: District 3

Most political candidates here are very approachable. Have you ever considered just asking them for their position on an issue that matters to you? That has always worked for me.............I usually try to get them at the supermarket or in an elevator cause they can't really get away from you. That's a lot of fun or, on a more serious note - just call them or find out their campaign manager & call that person. It's not hard to directly contact a candidate. It just takes some effort on our own parts.
    Last edited by anapuni808; April 4, 2009, 06:12 PM.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      If you are going to state your political opinion so clearly, don't get too defensive when people react to you, 'kay?
      Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

By the way, anyone have any useful comentary to add? In a few forums I've belonged to, mindless babbling posting without adding value to the thread is frowned upon.

[/off soapbox]

By the way, I'm also pro-Rail so Holmes is out for me too.

Jewlipio hits it on the head. I have realized why I am uncomfortable around the coming election.

The city council potentially has the ability to approve or derail a project as large as rail and we have an election with 8-10 candidates. And the election will be decided upon name recognition, sign waving without the vast majority of the public not knowing how candidates feel about an issue.

Worst of all, a candidate could win the election with 20% of the vote.

This seems like irresponsible, third world democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
        By the way, anyone have any useful comentary to add? In a few forums I've belonged to, mindless babbling posting without adding value to the thread is frowned upon.[/off soapbox]
        Obviously, the word "few" should be emphasized. Chill a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Obviously, the word "few" should be emphasized. Chill a little.
          Those who give unsolicited advice should not be surprised when the favor is returned.

more on Felix.

His illegal home wedding business was resolved. He spent the money to fix the problem by connecting two structures on his property to get over a judge's technical infraction. Also paid the $50,000 fine.

He is a St Louis alum when being a St Louis guy meant something.

He has lived in Kailus in the past.

The more I read about this guy, the more I like him.

Comment

Of course, a mid-term special election run-off was how your boy, John Henry Felix, was elected to the city council in the first place. (He ran in 1988, after Dennis O'Connor resigned his seat to run for mayor.)

His illegal home wedding business was resolved. He spent the money to fix the problem by connecting two structures on his property to get over a judge's technical infraction. Also paid the $50,000 fine.
            Glad to see that he's finally following the zoning laws like every other law-abiding taxpayer.

He is a St Louis alum when being a St Louis guy meant something.
            LOL!

Thanks to you, I finally took the time to read the Q&A on Felix's website. I just love some of his answers to the tough questions.

Should the City raise property taxes?

During previous terms on the City Council, I have fought hard to prevent and/or minimize increases. People are struggling right now, making it an extremely difficult time to increase user fees and property taxes. However, the City finds itself in dire economic times, so the Council can’t ignore the reality that it may have to increase user fees and taxes to continue providing residents with the level of services they expect and deserve. That said, I think the Council should explore ways to give relief to retirees on fixed incomes, the unemployed and underemployed, and those with medical challenges.

All of which doesn't answer the simple question: Will you vote to raise my property tax? Typical politician's answer.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Of all of the candidates who OPPOSE illegal B&B's, Felix seems to have the best chance of winning so I am voting for him - even if I'm not so sure he did a good job the first time around. One issue election for me.
              I'm not certain I understand the logic of 'voting for the candidate who has the best chance of winning.'
              Shouldn't we vote for the candidate that is most likely to meet our needs? Or most likely to solve our problems?
              Perhaps this is the problem why we have such poor representation in Hawaii? Instead of voting for the "right person," we vote for the candidate who is most likely to win.... Why? So we can say, "I voted for the winner?" Maybe this is why sign-waving is so effective. Only in Hawaii.

I'm out of the district, so I'm not voting, but frankly I'd trust Holmes' integrity over Felix. But, issue voting, even 'one issue voting' is a valid selection process.

Although Hawaii is my home, I spent my formative voting years in many different places and even foreign countries. Campaigning and voter selection in Hawaii is unique. And strange and mystifying.

VOTE! (But, THINK first!)
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                I'm not certain I understand the logic of 'voting for the candidate who has the best chance of winning.'
                Shouldn't we vote for the candidate that is most likely to meet our needs? Or most likely to solve our problems?
                Perhaps this is the problem why we have such poor representation in Hawaii? Instead of voting for the "right person," we vote for the candidate who is most likely to win.... Why? So we can say, "I voted for the winner?" Maybe this is why sign-waving is so effective. Only in Hawaii.

VOTE! (But, THINK first!)
                If the campaign will be decided within a short time frame and the public will likely not make an educated choice, my gut it to vote for the leading candidate that supports the one issue that is most important to me.

If you told me that Bulaia was the front runner and opposed B&B's then that's where my vote goes. Well maybe not but I hope you get the point.

I could care less if I voted for the winner - so long as the winner supports the cause I care about. If I could rely on other voters to actually vote for the best candidate that supports my cause then that is where I would cast my vote, but since not, I'd like to go with the front runner.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  Have any of you considered voting for Wilson Ho?
                  Yea I considered it, but ultimately came to the conclusion that I didn't want to vote for him. It has more to do with his previous campaign against former Rep. Waters than anything else. I'm not saying that he doesn't have the best interests of Waimanalo in mind, he does, but that doesn't mean he can represent the Waimanalo-Kailua-Kaneohe District effectively. Neighborhood Board experience is laudable, but doesn't cut the mustard for a council seat for me IMHO.

Comment

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Right?!! It's not often that I feel that my vote is so important yet I know so little about the people running in terms of current politics (putting aside any previous history). On the one hand waiting longer to get more info deprives us of representation on the Council, OTOH voting now, with so many candidates to choose from it's hard to figure out who the Perot/Nader's are so that I don't throw away my vote. This would be an ideal time to use Instant Runoff Voting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting

It sounds complicated, but the reasoning is simple. If you want to talk about ways to build community consensus, that's it.

Comment

830 am KHVH news radio is broadcasting a city council town forum meeting between the candidates this Friday at 4pm. Details here. One of these people will be representing us - get to know more about them!
                      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Jewlipino View Post
                        I'm gonna vote for Anderson. He's the most electable, has the right endorsements, is a recent veteran of the brutal council politics, and he isn't some scary old fart who screwed us all over last time he was in office. I want someone NEW to screw us over . I don't really agree 100% with his B&B position, but I think the statements he has made about it reflect his deeper knowledge of the issue and its stakeholders rather than a knee-jerk "I hate B&B's" response.
                        Agreed, Jewlipino. Although I am not a voter in the district, I have known Ikaika Anderson for more than a decade. From the moment I met him, he was working hard to represent his constituents, in the early years, as a student senator at the University of Hawai‘i.

Like the professional industry, the journalism department at UH has been under siege for some time. Budget cuts have so severely affected the “School of Communications” that professors have left and the journalism department formally merged with the school, and fell out of accreditation in 2004. During his tenure as an ASUH senator, Anderson almost single-handedly funneled more than $18,000 in student funds to journalism. He understood the urgency of preserving the fourth estate at a time when so many administrators and government officials seek to thwart it as an “unnecessary pest that seeks to question authority.” We may demonize journalists in society, but they are the ones holding our leaders accountable. I say mahalo, Mr. Anderson for fighting the good fight. With your experience as an aide for Barbara Marshall, you can hit the ground running if the voters of your district give you a chance.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                          830 am KHVH news radio is broadcasting a city council town forum meeting between the candidates this Friday at 4pm. Details here. One of these people will be representing us - get to know more about them!
                          Just FYI gang -- the radio forum is TODAY, Thursday, sted of Friday!

Comment

John Henry Felix has picked up the endorsement of the Honolulu Advertiser, which he will add alongside that of the UPW, SHOPO, Firefighters, and the Carpenters unions.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...904190341/1105

On his website, Ikaika Anderson boasts 21 different union endorsements.

http://www.jikaikaanderson.com/gallery/supporters.html

Of course, we are talking about a city council district that includes Kailua and Kaneohe, areas where voters are more independent and not as blue collar oriented. It is this district (along with district IV, covering Hawaii Kai, Kahala, and East Honolulu) where union endorsements carry the least value and influence. So don't count out the other candidates just yet.

If you ask me, forget about union/celebrity endorsements and glossy broadcast/print ads. This special election will come down to old-fashioned grass roots campaigning and which candidate does the best job in getting their votes out.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Hawaiireporter.com has released profiles on 10 of the candidates.

Of interest to some people would be Steve Holmes' response to questions surrounding his academic degrees and credentials.

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story....d-8c3bfe8a33dd

Sheez! The city is at an important crossroads with regards to the municipal budget, property tax structure, rail,..... and Malia Zimmerman seems more interested in talking about all of the Steve/Steven/Stephen Holmes that attended the Univ. of Iowa over the last 40 years.

Comment

I never thought I would EVER agree with Zimmerman but on this issue? Yes. It all goes to the "perception" of Mr. Holmes honesty & integrity. Whether it's true or not - the questions are there.
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X