Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invasive species ... just for interest

http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dofaw/ho...pecieslist.htm
    Did you know that many of our popular yard plants are actually considered invasive species, including:
    white ginger, yellow ginger, kahili ginger, lantana, mock orange, strawberry guava, night blooming jasmine, pampas grass,California pepper tree, ironwood.

I was surprised by the full list (see the link). I’ve had many of those plants over the years in my yards. And so this lead me to check out an invasive animal list, where I learned that just under a dozen Brown Tree Snakes have been collected in the last two decades in Hawaii, having fallen out of the wheel-wells of incoming planes. Why the concern? Because we don’t want to become like Guam, which has around 13,000 snakes per square mile. Yikes!
    http://www.explorebiodiversity.com/H...%20threats.htm
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Invasive species ... just for interest

Strawberry guava, wedelia, & lantana are considered invasive?!?

Does this mean that Wal-Mart and landscapers are breaking laws?
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

And most if not all did not come on the Hawaii Superferry. Coqui Frogs on the Big Island? Not brought in by the Superferry. Miconia? Not brought in by the Superferry. Brown Tree Snake? Did not come on the Superferry. Plenty more.....
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post

Does this mean that Wal-Mart and landscapers are breaking laws?
        I think it's only illegal if the plant is on Hawaii's noxious weed list

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
          I think it's only illegal if the plant is on Hawaii's noxious weed list
          http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us
          OK, thanks. I've never seen any of the plants on this list in stores.

We have a backyard slope that's constantly under attack from erosion, but I'd like to make it more drought-tolerant. The landscapers at a workshop recommended Bermuda grass, which seems a bit odd on Hawaii land. But apparently it spreads faster than zoysia and doesn't need much care.
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
            They're some of the worst.

Comment

Bummeroo, I saw that today is Rick Barboza's last column in the SB
              I've recently bought several plants (natives) from him for my pig ravaged
              taro area. He's so cool. The nursery is an oasis of natives right down the
              road from me. I bought an amazingly beautiful salmon ohia lehua and lots
              of akia for ground cover and 2 munrodendroidum (sp?).

I think we should support someone like him and be glad he is there!

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                And so this lead me to check out an invasive animal list, where I learned that just under a dozen Brown Tree Snakes have been collected in the last two decades in Hawaii, having fallen out of the wheel-wells of incoming planes. Why the concern? Because we don’t want to become like Guam, which has around 13,000 snakes per square mile. Yikes!
                http://www.explorebiodiversity.com/H...%20threats.htm
                That just freaked me out!!! Much of my family has lived in Guam at one time or another... they always nag me to go there for a visit, but I HATE SNAKES!!!! When I went to the Honolulu Zoo, there was an exhibit there that said "this is the only snake in Hawaii." I was SO happy to know that!

Now I have to worry about a Brown Tree Snake invasion? YIKES is right!

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                  When I went to the Honolulu Zoo, there was an exhibit there that said "this is the only snake in Hawaii." I was SO happy to know that!
                  http://www.explorebiodiversity.com/H...0-%20Blind.htm

Actually, we DO have snakes in Hawaii, the Blind Snake [Brahminy Blind Snake (Ramphotyhlops braminus)]. They are very small, and I've found them in my gardens in different homes. They were introduced to Hawaii in the 1980. The ones I've seen are about 4 inches long, and look like a black worm with an identifiable head. By the way, they are NOT considered invasive nor a problem at all, they can live peacefully in your garden.
                  Of interest, they don't need a male to reproduce. "Its the only known parthenogenic snake. That means that one snake can populate an island by laying unfertilized eggs that hatch to become virtual female clones. Its a great adaptation that has enabled island existence of other species (notably the geckos)."
                  I did not know, before reading about the Blind Snake, that geckos only needed a female to reproduce. That explains why one gecko in the house can suddenly become a family!
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                    Actually, we DO have snakes in Hawaii, the Blind Snake [Brahminy Blind Snake (Ramphotyhlops braminus)]. They are very small, and I've found them in my gardens in different homes. They were introduced to Hawaii in the 1980. The ones I've seen are about 4 inches long, and look like a black worm with an identifiable head. By the way, they are NOT considered invasive nor a problem at all, they can live peacefully in your garden.
                    Good to know! Thank you. I'm ok with any animal, as long as it doesn't want to hurt me, and vice versa. It's not the ICK factor, it's the toxic factor... I generally loves reptiles, but we have rattlesnakes in our neck of the woods.

I hope the Zoo changed the sign.

Comment

Working...
                    X