Netbooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netbooks

Was looking through the Best Buy website on their netbooks and was noticing that prices are coming down. Cheapest one (from Asus) sells for $249 (might be higher in Hawaii) for a 900 MHz Celeron with 1Mbyte RAM, 16GByte solid state disk and runs Windows XP Home.

Re: Netbooks

That sounds like a pretty good deal. A week or so ago Dell had one of their netbooks for sale for $200, was thinking about getting that one.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

att and radio shack has a net book for 99.00 with a two year contract. 3G technology.
      sounds like a good deal.
      the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Personally, not a fan of netbooks.

A friend bought one for one of his kids and asked me to set up parental control. Having owned a 15-inch laptop, I felt cramped trying to use the keyboard of the Acer Inspire One (from Wal-mart). Other than that and a lack of a CD/DVD drive, it's decent. Being a netbook, I allowed it to connect to my home wireless network. It takes a while (from booting up), but it's not bad for having g-type wireless adapter (my wireless router is n-type).
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I like mine for when I travel. It fits into my soft sided briefcase, with room to spare for other things. It allows me to have internet connection without needing to take along a larger laptop. I would not want to use one for a major text undertaking, but it is great for having accessibility to my order forms, email, and attachments.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Agree with some of the other posters. The only reasons I would buy a netbook:

- can't afford anything else
            - for my kid(s)
            - as a secondary laptop

They are not meant to be a primary computer.

Just my 2 cents.
            kiddori

Comment

Yeah, same here. I've been thinking about getting a netbook only as a second laptop. I wouldn't use it to write papers or anything, but I would like something more compact and lightweight than my current laptop.

Usually, the only reason I even take a laptop to school is to enter my student's grades on excel and if I had a netbook, I'd keep their grades just on that. I have a lot of things to carry with me to school, so lightening the laptop load would really help.
              Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

Good idea! Remember to encrypt the drive or folder where you have your students' grades......netbooks are easy to loose or prime theft objects.
                kiddori

Comment

Oh, yes! That is a good idea, Mattias! Thanks!

One of my greatest fears about teaching is somehow losing their grades! I have to grade anywhere from 50-100 students every day, not including their papers, quizzes, projects, etc. I usually save it on my jump drive and email it to myself after I've entered that day's grades. I have an email account specifically for nothing but my prelims, dissertation, papers, student grades, etc. I save everything on the jump drive, but those can get lost so easily, I don't "trust" putting everything on there and feeling safe about it.
                  Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

Yes, that sure is a lot of sensitive information. You can also encrypt your jump drive (aka flash drive) so if you loose it there is nothing to worry about.

Look into an encryption software called TrueCrypt - it's free and widely used. It can be a bit tricky to setup so if you are not so comfortable with computers you can ask your school's IT person to do it (if you have one).

Good luck!
                    kiddori

Comment

Originally posted by Mattias View Post
                      Yes, that sure is a lot of sensitive information. You can also encrypt your jump drive (aka flash drive) so if you loose it there is nothing to worry about.

Look into an encryption software called TrueCrypt - it's free and widely used. It can be a bit tricky to setup so if you are not so comfortable with computers you can ask your school's IT person to do it (if you have one).

Good luck!
                      Good recommendation! That's what I use on my flash drive.
                      What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

I bought one of those Acer aspire one netbooks and use the Mobi Hele. It's great for web surfing when I bring it to work so that way I don't use the company's computer.

Comment

I am part of a small minority that loves her Macs but hates iPhones (I want keys). I have stubbornly held on to my treo, which has me looking at netbooks as the perfect size for what I want in portability.

I have been scouring the web to read about the geeks who have tricked out their netbooks with mac osx. Lots out there!

Has anyone here done so?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Mattias View Post

Good luck!
                            Thanks for that tip! I'll definitely be researching TrueCrypt.
                            Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

I bought the Acer netbook from Walmart back in October. Disappointed I ended up with a white one, as pink was sold out.

It's too small and cramped to work on long Word documents, but it has done wonders as an MP3 player for performances and as my handy-dandy Powerpoint buddy.
                              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X