Netbooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Netbooks

BTW, I have a friend who bought an Acer Aspire One netbook (hope I got that right). Tried it, too cramped for my typing hand and too small for me to read.

Anyhoo, his dog ended up chewing his AC adaptor/charger cord. Now he need to find a replacement adaptor. Does anyone know where to start looking for one?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      BTW, I have a friend who bought an Acer Aspire One netbook (hope I got that right). Tried it, too cramped for my typing hand and too small for me to read.

Anyhoo, his dog ended up chewing his AC adaptor/charger cord. Now he need to find a replacement adaptor. Does anyone know where to start looking for one?
      eBay for the replacement adapter. I bought one so I leave one at home and the other at work. It was $9.95 w/free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acer-Aspire-One-...3%3A1|294%3A50

Originally posted by Random View Post
      The only good thing about a netbook is to let you surf on the net, with just enough juice (1.6 GHz Processor) to let you do video and high-quality audio streaming (as long it has a headphone jack or two, the netbook's speakers aren't even decent, IMNSHO).

Good for kids (below 14) if you don't want to spend more than $400 on a laptop for them, though. Would be nice if those netbooks actually come with parental control software (not just Windows version) preinstalled, rather than let the customers go out and look for them and install them DIY.
      The purpose I bought the Acer netbook is to surf away from home. It's small and very portable.
      Last edited by na alii; May 31, 2009, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I'll pass that on.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I bought a Samsung NC10 (in pink!) for my wife 2 months ago. Paid about $450. We bought it specifically for traveling, but it is the computer that gets the most use in the house now. It mostly stays in the kitchen and dining room where we hang out a lot. I can't really tell the difference between it and my full-sized laptop keyboard (they say it is 90% of the size). The keys and the whole top of the keyboard are impregnated with some kind of anti-microbial. Sounds like a good idea, I guess.

My favorite thing to do with it is skyping with our granddaughter in California. It is nice because it is so light. It is easy to carry around the house with you while you are in a call. Voice quality on the mic and speakers is perfect during skype. Great video image too. (We actually chose the Samsung because the HP netbook they were selling at Costco got bad comments about their webcam).

I am pretty sure that any netbook you buy will have XP. XP seems to be perfect for the atom processor. Most say that linux runs really well on them too.

Comment

I bought a acer netbook from walmart. The one I purchased has a 160gb hard drive and xp with 1 gig memory. The keyboard takes a LITTLE while to get used to. But once Ýou use it for a bit u adjust fast. You can also plug an external vga monitor in on the side for a bigger display. I'm 40 and I had no trouble seeing the screen. Its ultra lightweight and easy to carry. And the wireless networking works great!!! Would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a small, easy to use netbook. Have not missed not have an optical drive, I never use it on this pc, I download most programs I use on it.

Comment

i just bought an acer, too. got the aspire one. sold my asus cuz the keyboards were too small for my hands. bought mine from amazon; about $330. will get here in time for an upcoming trip; will be great cuz it's so small and light and it'll also hold all the pics i take; just download em all at night and have an empty mem card in the morning....
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Would a netbook be good for an elementary school student to do homework and gaming? If it doesn't have a cd or dvd drive, how does one install applications? Just curious...

dowloading them via wireless internet or a local wired connection...

I NEVER use cd/dvd roms to install software anymore, almost everything I use is downloaded!

And yes its a GREAT CHEAP pc for homework, just dont expect to run HIGH END PC GAMES ON IT (ie 3d games!)
                http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

Thank you, everyone!

Comment

Behold the Lenovo Ideapad S12.

Blessed with the added horsepower of NVIDIA Ion, this 12" netbook displays graphics up to 5x faster than its competitors. Bluetooth, wireless b/g/n, HDMI out, 100% keyboard (comparable to a 15" notebook) -- it has good ingredients. But how does it taste? "According to Nvidia, Spore, Call of Duty 4, Portal, and World of Warcraft will all be playable." Smooth 1080p playback shouldn't be a problem.

No full reviews out yet as this system is fresh out the oven, but it's the first of a crop of netbooks that can actually pull duty as a primary laptop. Shopping link: Google product search.
                    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Working...
                    X