Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netbooks

Default Netbooks

Was looking through the Best Buy website on their netbooks and was noticing that prices are coming down. Cheapest one (from Asus) sells for $249 (might be higher in Hawaii) for a 900 MHz Celeron with 1Mbyte RAM, 16GByte solid state disk and runs Windows XP Home.

Default Re: Netbooks

That sounds like a pretty good deal. A week or so ago Dell had one of their netbooks for sale for $200, was thinking about getting that one.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

att and radio shack has a net book for 99.00 with a two year contract. 3G technology.
    sounds like a good deal.
    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Personally, not a fan of netbooks.

A friend bought one for one of his kids and asked me to set up parental control. Having owned a 15-inch laptop, I felt cramped trying to use the keyboard of the Acer Inspire One (from Wal-mart). Other than that and a lack of a CD/DVD drive, it's decent. Being a netbook, I allowed it to connect to my home wireless network. It takes a while (from booting up), but it's not bad for having g-type wireless adapter (my wireless router is n-type).
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

I like mine for when I travel. It fits into my soft sided briefcase, with room to spare for other things. It allows me to have internet connection without needing to take along a larger laptop. I would not want to use one for a major text undertaking, but it is great for having accessibility to my order forms, email, and attachments.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Agree with some of the other posters. The only reasons I would buy a netbook:

- can't afford anything else
    - for my kid(s)
    - as a secondary laptop

They are not meant to be a primary computer.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, same here. I've been thinking about getting a netbook only as a second laptop. I wouldn't use it to write papers or anything, but I would like something more compact and lightweight than my current laptop.

Usually, the only reason I even take a laptop to school is to enter my student's grades on excel and if I had a netbook, I'd keep their grades just on that. I have a lot of things to carry with me to school, so lightening the laptop load would really help.
    Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Good idea! Remember to encrypt the drive or folder where you have your students' grades......netbooks are easy to loose or prime theft objects.

Oh, yes! That is a good idea, Mattias! Thanks!

One of my greatest fears about teaching is somehow losing their grades! I have to grade anywhere from 50-100 students every day, not including their papers, quizzes, projects, etc. I usually save it on my jump drive and email it to myself after I've entered that day's grades. I have an email account specifically for nothing but my prelims, dissertation, papers, student grades, etc. I save everything on the jump drive, but those can get lost so easily, I don't "trust" putting everything on there and feeling safe about it.
    Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Yes, that sure is a lot of sensitive information. You can also encrypt your jump drive (aka flash drive) so if you loose it there is nothing to worry about.

Look into an encryption software called TrueCrypt - it's free and widely used. It can be a bit tricky to setup so if you are not so comfortable with computers you can ask your school's IT person to do it (if you have one).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Yes, that sure is a lot of sensitive information. You can also encrypt your jump drive (aka flash drive) so if you loose it there is nothing to worry about.

Look into an encryption software called TrueCrypt - it's free and widely used. It can be a bit tricky to setup so if you are not so comfortable with computers you can ask your school's IT person to do it (if you have one).

Good luck!
    Good recommendation! That's what I use on my flash drive.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

I bought one of those Acer aspire one netbooks and use the Mobi Hele. It's great for web surfing when I bring it to work so that way I don't use the company's computer.

I am part of a small minority that loves her Macs but hates iPhones (I want keys). I have stubbornly held on to my treo, which has me looking at netbooks as the perfect size for what I want in portability.

I have been scouring the web to read about the geeks who have tricked out their netbooks with mac osx. Lots out there!

Has anyone here done so?

pax

Thumbs up Re: Netbooks

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post

Good luck!
    Thanks for that tip! I'll definitely be researching TrueCrypt.
    Peace, Love, and BBQ!

I bought the Acer netbook from Walmart back in October. Disappointed I ended up with a white one, as pink was sold out.

It's too small and cramped to work on long Word documents, but it has done wonders as an MP3 player for performances and as my handy-dandy Powerpoint buddy.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

I have the Asus EEE 1000H netbook. It has the 10.1 inch screen. I bought it as a secondary laptop and am very pleased with it. I did upgrade the ram to 2gig to speed things up a little. If you decide to get one, there aren't too many cases for these netbooks other than sleeves. I ended up buying a case bag for a portable DVD player and it fits inside perfectly with lots of room for the power supply, wireless mouse, and a USB external DVD burner.

I gotta say that I love this little guy. When I bought it, it was rated high for performance compared to similar models at the time. It was $500 bucks maybe 6 months ago (i don't remember exactly when I got it), and I saw it at Best Buy for $300 or so a couple months ago.

I find myself using it A LOT more than my regular laptop. Perfect for email, browsing the net, some gaming and lately I rip a lot of my DVDs to AVI's or WMV's to watch on it, too.

Yeah like one of the posters said- if you're gonna use a flashdrive make sure you encrypt it. I personally use Folder Lock which you can install and secure stuff on your PC AND on your flashdrives.

Heres a quick pic of my netbook next to my main lappie.

I plan on getting a newer model ASUS netbook sometime this year and pass the 1000H on to my son. If you can wait, the next gen netbooks are coming out with optical drives within the next couple months.

I bought the 160 gb HARD DRIVE version with windows xp service pak 2 and 1 gig of ram for walmart ($312) and I love it for mobile/compact computing! Everything you need is built it, and it works GREAT! The wireless is VERY GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    I bought the Acer netbook from Walmart back in October.
    It's too small and cramped to work on long Word documents, but it has done wonders as an MP3 player for performances and as my handy-dandy Powerpoint buddy.
    I have the same problem with the ASUS netbook but what one can do is to hook up a USB keyboard to it. Granted you don't want to haul that keyboard around but it would be useful at home (or the office) if you are doing a long term typing session on the netbook.

Would a netbook be good for an elementary school student to do homework and gaming? If it doesn't have a cd or dvd drive, how does one install applications? Just curious...

The quick answer would be is to get an external CD-ROM drive. I picked up a HP external DVD+R burner (HP model dvd555s) for around $110 a couple of months ago from Best Buy. In a way this works out for me because this one unit can be used on either of my two Netbooks since those two don't have a CD-ROM or my laptop (which has a CD burner but not a DVD burner) or my desktop (never bothered to replace that computer's CD burner).

In a way I think not having a built-in CD-ROM for a Netbook is the way to go if the reason for using a Netbook is to save on weight.

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    [...]In a way I think not having a built-in CD-ROM for a Netbook is the way to go if the reason for using a Netbook is to save on weight.
    Thanks for the info, Helen. In my case, weight and size aren't the issue. Money is. My daughter is looking for an 'inexpensive' (a relative term, I know!) laptop for my 11 year old grandson and netbooks seemed to meet that criteria. Just trying to figure out what they might not meet.

If the family has other computers around their household they can use those computer's resources either by transfering the contents on the CD-ROM to a flash drive or setting up their CD-ROM so it will be available from other computers in a network setup.

Thanks, Helen. Does a netbook work for games? I guess what I'm asking is if the netbook is just a scaled down laptop, capable (within the constraints of it ram and HD size) of everything a laptop is capable of.

Depends on what kind of games that you are taking about. The standard games that comes with Windows XP Home are there for Netbooks that do run WIndows XP Home.

To be honest the only games I play on my systems are Freecell, Spider Solitare and Nethack.

i bought the ASUS Eee PC 900HA 8.9-Inch Netbook for $255 thru amazon. it's great but i'm trying to sell it cuz my hands are too big for the keyboard. otherwise, it's an excellent laptop....
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast