3G Network?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3G Network?

So what is so special about 3G networks? What can it do? Does it only apply to wireless phones?

Re: 3G Network?

It's a cellular network that is a lot faster than other cell phone networks in the US for data transfer. It's kind of similar in speed to a dial up connection. It's pretty useful if you like to surf the net on your phone.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      So what is so special about 3G networks? What can it do? Does it only apply to wireless phones?
      Japanese cell company DoCoMo is reported to have spent over $20M with American cell companies to bring 3G to Oahu so that Japanese visitors can enjoy the same capabilities here that they have at home... and can spend money even faster.
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

3G = 3rd Generation.

As others have said, it's mostly speed.

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
          It's kind of similar in speed to a dial up connection.
          Dial up? I don't think so. The current speed for 3G connections in Hawaii currently maxes out at 2 Mbps, while in northern Europe they are enjoying up to 21 Mbps.

(Compare to Roadrunner which is currently at 5 Mbps).

As you can tell, we are quite behind here in Hawaii. Don't get me started on that though.....
          kiddori

Comment

Originally posted by Mattias View Post
            Dial up? I don't think so. The current speed for 3G connections in Hawaii currently maxes out at 2 Mbps, ...
            I'm talking about actual speeds here in Honolulu though, not theoretical speeds that you might get once in a blue moon when the stars align on a cloudless night etc etc.

I just tested my iphone (testmyiphone.com) and got a miserable 9kB/s download speed on 3G and I'm in the middle of downtown. Also the comparison to dial up was based on my memory of using dial up for years and my daily web browsing on the iphone. Dial up is pretty darn similar to the AT&T 3G network speeds in Honolulu IMO.
            What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
              I'm talking about actual speeds here in Honolulu though, not theoretical speeds that you might get once in a blue moon when the stars align on a cloudless night etc etc.

I just tested my iphone (testmyiphone.com) and got a miserable 9kB/s download speed on 3G and I'm in the middle of downtown. Also the comparison to dial up was based on my memory of using dial up for years and my daily web browsing on the iphone. Dial up is pretty darn similar to the AT&T 3G network speeds in Honolulu IMO.
              Ouch, I didn't know it was that miserable. No wonder AT&T is being sued. That is crazy slow! And you are on UMTS (3G) and not EDGE? I think my EDGE phone is even faster than that when on the Windward side.
              kiddori

Comment

Thanks for giving me the link. I just tested my iPhone (EDGE on T-Mobile) and I got a download speed of 308 Kbps and I only had a reception of 3 bars. You should demand a refund from AT&T.

Anyway, just to show how behind we are. 4G is currently being rolled out in some other countries now with theoretical download speed of 100 Mbps.
                kiddori

Comment

Those bastards! Hehe I wonder if it's just the spot I'm in downtown...going to have to check this out later tonight when I'm in Waiks.

Comment

Yeah, although I would expect Honolulu to be all covered you could be in a cold spot. Jot down where it was and inquire with AT&T. I would hope you get much faster connection speed elsewhere. Aloha!
                    kiddori

Comment

3G speeds are never consistent. it's not like DSL, but 9KB/s sounds like you lost connection during the test for a moment.

a tower could be overloaded at the moment or even could be stuck on a tower that's further away and hasn't jumped over to the tower you're closest to.

The iPhone has already pushed ATT network to it's limits, and even crashed it (see Austin's SXSW Conference).

I know there spending loads of money right now upgrading their network to prepare for tethering with the new iPhone due in June. once iPhone's "officially" tether, the network is going to get slammed.

I just ran Speedtest from my iPhone 3G in Waiks by Kuhio and Nohonani at got 1430 Kb/s down 90 Kb/s up, ran a 2nd time 10 min later at 1582 Kb/s and 83 Kb/s up
                      Last edited by LocalMotion; April 17, 2009, 09:54 PM.
                      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                        I just ran Speedtest from my iPhone 3G in Waiks by Kuhio and Nohonani at got 1430 Kb/s down 90 Kb/s up, ran a 2nd time 10 min later at 1582 Kb/s and 83 Kb/s up.
                        Thanks, LM, I've been curious about that. As a comparison, for those who might be interested, I'm at home now and RoadRunner just gave me 16,474 down and 978 up. About 10 times faster than the iPhone 3G.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          Thanks, LM, I've been curious about that. As a comparison, for those who might be interested, I'm at home now and RoadRunner just gave me 16,474 down and 978 up. About 10 times faster than the iPhone 3G.
                          Sweet! Nothing beats Cable or DSL.

Supposedly ATT said the new iPhone coming out in June will nalu the net even faster than the latest iPhone. I guess it will have a faster processor and more RAM, along with some OS optimizations but i don't see ATT upping their network speeds by that much, but i'd love to be surprised!

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                            Sweet! Nothing beats Cable or DSL.
                            Well it depends.....when I was in San Francisco last year I got a faster download link on T-Mobile's 3G than my friend's AT&T DSL. As you said, it might have been temporarily though as I was up in the middle of the night.

Right now, the LTE (100Mbps) they're rolling out in Sweden is faster than their cable/dsl (80Mbps).

Anyway, anything beats the speeds we have in Hawaii. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
                              Well it depends.....when I was in San Francisco last year I got a faster download link on T-Mobile's 3G than my friend's AT&T DSL. As you said, it might have been temporarily though as I was up in the middle of the night.

Right now, the LTE (100Mbps) they're rolling out in Sweden is faster than their cable/dsl (80Mbps).

Anyway, anything beats the speeds we have in Hawaii. :-(
                              But there are different speed levels for both DSL and Cable. you could get a 768k package with both, but I was referring to there top speed tiers.

Still 10mb in Hawaii is still pretty fast. I wonder when Oceanic will implement DOCSIS 3 to really boost their speeds? Problem I see is that they may not have any reason to do it soon since they don't have any competition that's faster than them...

Comment

Working...
                              X