Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3G Network?

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
    But there are different speed levels for both DSL and Cable. you could get a 768k package with both, but I was referring to there top speed tiers.
    Yes, definitely.

Still 10mb in Hawaii is still pretty fast. I wonder when Oceanic will implement DOCSIS 3 to really boost their speeds? Problem I see is that they may not have any reason to do it soon since they don't have any competition that's faster than them...
    10Mb is fast for Hawaii but the problem is that it's limited to only a small portion of the population. There's no equality here when it comes to internet speed. Where I live I can only get download links of 768K through DSL and 5Mb through Oceanic. As you said, there is no incentive for companies to provide faster connections because of lack of competition. There's no competition in both pricing and speed. It's outrageous that a download link of 15Mbps through Oceanic cost $70/month. I guess I'm being a bit scewed since I'm comparing to other markets but there is really no reason why Hawaii should be behind. I've always been in support of the State subsidizing improvements of the internet accessibility and speed. I believe it would be very helpful for our state considering we are so isolated from the rest of the world.

Anyway, I guess we got off track here. This discussion was regarding 3G, which has nothing to do with DSL and cable. Sorry!

Mahalo!

Comment

Still 10mb in Hawaii is still pretty fast. I wonder when Oceanic will implement DOCSIS 3 to really boost their speeds? Problem I see is that they may not have any reason to do it soon since they don't have any competition that's faster than them...
      Hawaiian Telcom offers up to 11Mbps DSL service. Shortly thereafter Oceanic rolled out 15Mbps Road Runner service. However it is my understanding that the 15Mbps service is not widely available (its only available in select portions of Oahu). But on the flip side 50% of HT's statewide customers can qualify for their higher speed tiers of 7Mbps/11Mbps.

The service availability of the 15Mbps service may change as Oceanic is spending 140 million to expand their infrastructure to accommodate more HDTV
      channels and 20Mbps Road Runner service.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
        But on the flip side 50% of HT's statewide customers can qualify for their higher speed tiers of 7Mbps/11Mbps.
        Where did you get that number from? When I talked to a HT technician he said the 7Mbps and 11Mbps is only available in urban Honolulu......but maybe that is 50% of the population?

I live in a quite populated area and it's a big shame that HT only offers 768K here.

Comment

sitting on the beach at Waimea Bay iPhone 3G speeds test at 862Kb/s down and 170Kb/s up
          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
            Where did you get that number from? When I talked to a HT technician he said the 7Mbps and 11Mbps is only available in urban Honolulu......but maybe that is 50% of the population?

I live in a quite populated area and it's a big shame that HT only offers 768K here.

I live in fairly remote part of Kona and I get 11Mbps service believe it or not.

There was a Star Bulletin article from about two years ago that stated that only 25% of HT's customers statewide could get 11Mbps service and 33% could get 7Mbps service.

I had blogged recently about a HT issue using that data. It was pointed out to me later by Ann Nishida (Senior Manager-Corporate Communications) that data was inaccurate. As it stands now 50% of HT's customers statewide can get 7 or 11Mbps service.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

I live in fairly remote part of Kona and I get 11Mbps service believe it or not.

There was a Star Bulletin article from about two years ago that stated that only 25% of HT's customers statewide could get 11Mbps service and 33% could get 7Mbps service.

I had blogged recently about a HT issue using that data. It was pointed out to me later by Ann Nishida (Senior Manager-Corporate Communications) that data was inaccurate. As it stands now 50% of HT's customers statewide can get 7 or 11Mbps service.
              Wow, that is impressive and I'm happy for you. Can you believe I live 20 minutes from downtown Honolulu and HT only offers me 768K. I guess I need to move to Kona.......you do have the best avocados over there. :-)

Comment

So, how do I know I can get at least 7Mbps in my area (Kaunakakai, Island of Molokai)?
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
                  Wow, that is impressive and I'm happy for you. Can you believe I live 20 minutes from downtown Honolulu and HT only offers me 768K. I guess I need to move to Kona.......you do have the best avocados over there. :-)
                  I'm curious if you've recently inquired or not again if the 7 or 11Mbps (or at least the 3Mbps service) is available. In my case HT only recently upgraded the
                  CO servicing my area to support this service with the last 1.5 years.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    So, how do I know I can get at least 7Mbps in my area (Kaunakakai, Island of Molokai)?
                    I know they offer DSL on Molokai. However I would be surprised if either the 7Mbps or 11Mbps service is available there (or Lanai).As far as I understand only Pacific LightNet has a fiber-optic circuit to either island. Both Oceanic Time Warner and Hawaiian Telcom rely on a microwave feed.(This is why Oceanic only offers WAVE, not Road Runner there).

If you really want to know if HT offers the higher speed tiers there, I suggest you call up HT.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                      Call HT and give them your address and then they can check.

I'm curious if you've recently inquired or not again if the 7 or 11Mbps (or at least the 3Mbps service) is available. In my case HT only recently upgraded the
                      CO servicing my area to support this service with the last 1.5 years.
                      I inquired 3 months ago. Maybe I should inquire again. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattias View Post
                        Dial up? I don't think so. The current speed for 3G connections in Hawaii currently maxes out at 2 Mbps, while in northern Europe they are enjoying up to 21 Mbps.

(Compare to Roadrunner which is currently at 5 Mbps).

As you can tell, we are quite behind here in Hawaii. Don't get me started on that though.....

Ps - does anyone actually use dialup anymore? I see the free aol disks at walmart for free all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post

I just tested my iphone (testmyiphone.com) and got a miserable 9kB/s download speed on 3G and I'm in the middle of downtown. .
                          That's because your NOT ON SPRINT, I get on average 800kbps

Comment

Working...
                          X