Need compact photo printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need compact photo printer

Now that Polaroid is passe, not to mention unavailable, I have to replace that instant gratification technology with another one that's equally fast and easy.

Polaroids have been industry standard in the film industry, especially casting. The choreography goes like this:
    Talent arrives at casting session...
    Talent fills out casting application...
    Casting assistant takes a head & shoulders Polaroid shot of talent that immediately gets stapled to the casting application...
    Talent then brings casting app. into the studio, to be handed to the director. This immediate reference is important to the clients seated in the studio...

In addition to polos I also take digitals for my file. So...I need to replace Polaroid technology with a quick, easy, foolproof <g> and very portable, digital printing method...some way for the assistant to shoot and immediately print and staple. These are reference photos only and don't need to be magazine print quality! Because I cast in various locations and schlep equipment from location to location, compactness is important, too.

I'm hoping the many great HT photographers might have some suggestions. IOW...H E L P !!!

Re: Need compact photo printer

I bought an Olympus P-10. It works well but has size limitations. The photos last pretty good (at least as good as a Polaroid). The unit is about 12x12, a plug in, so you need an outlet. Wasn't too expensive, as I recall.

Best to check it out.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Ohhhh, boy. I don't have any real good ideas.

As it see it, the problem is you want something simple to go from camera to hard copy rather quickly. There are any number of printers, but they require you to insert the memory card or connect a USB cable to transfer the photo. Not sure how well that's going to work with the way you work. Most users are more interested in the digital photo to process the papers electronically.

You might look for printers and cameras that use PictBridge as it's there to help print directly from the camera without a computer.

There are also wireless memory cards so that the camera can upload the photos over your wireless network. I'm not sure just how they work, but eliminating the cable or memory card transfer may be worth looking into.

Comment

Wal-Mart is selling something called the Polaroid PoGo. The printer runs for $91 and a pack of 10 sheets is around $6. It prints photos on a 2"x3" sheet.

Comment

hi tutusue,

i'm here in southern cali and bought a canon selphy from walmart - clearance item for approx. $60.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10256272

i bought a refill kit - paper and color ribbon thingy from walmart for $30.

i then found that same kit for $10 at radio shack - clearance item, again.

the kit contains 3 color ribbons and approx. 110 sheets of photo paper.

this is a gift for my aunt.

it uses dye sub process and requires 4 passes to "print" the picture.

not extremely fast but VERY portable.

i hope you can find similar deals there.

joel

Comment

Tutusue ... I was thinking the same thing and ran into what most people wrote here. Pogo or Selphy. Best Buy has some others. I could not find ink or paper at Best Buy but at Wal-mart. There are some discounted Selphy's at Shirokiya 720 and 740. The 760 is at Best Buy. The latest model online is the 780. Selphy is the cheaper option as it is about thirty cents a print. A Pogo looks more compact.

Did you want to hook it up to your camera is another question?
            USB to camera?
            Computer to printer?
            Print via your media card?
            The selphy can do bluetooth but it costs extra.
            just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Wassaaaabi, Tutu!! Check this out.

Comment

HTers are the BOMBS!!! Thanks for the fabulous suggestions. One link led to another...and another. Altho' it's not available yet (soon, tho'), I think I've found the answer:
                Polaroid PoGo Instant Digital Camera
                Without all of your great suggestions I doubt I would've stumbled upon this all-in-one, digital version of the old Polaroid I've been using since they were invented! I had no idea this technology was in the works. Very cool.

a big {{{smooch}}} to all of you! Especially to you, D'Alani!

Comment

*bump*
                  Been waiting for Polaroid to ship their POGO instant digital camera to retailers. Called Polaroid last week and they couldn't give me a date. Three days later I logged on to Amazon.com and...hallelujah..."in stock"! Just received notice that it's on it's way to me. Can't wait to try it out altho' I'm already aware of, what could turn out to be, a major limitation. We'll see. Timing is perfect as I'm down to my last 5 packs of 600 film. 600 film stock can still be purchased but it's over $2/print now plus shipping. Polaroid's new inkless system is 33¢/print. I sooooo hope I can make this new camera work for my needs. This camera also has a memory card so it will eliminate the need to take 2 photos of talent with 2 different cameras. Praying that I can solve the possible limitation...a battery issue!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    This camera also has a memory card so it will eliminate the need to take 2 photos of talent with 2 different cameras.
                    I always wondered why c.d.'s did that. Change can be tuff...
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                      I always wondered why c.d.'s did that. Change can be tuff...
                      Change isn't tuff. It's the instant needs of the job that must be met. When technology meets that then it's time to step up to it.

The reason for 2 cameras is simple. The polaroid gets attached to the headsheet which goes out the door with the client. The digital photo goes into my computer file. I no longer keep hard copies of anything related to talent.

Prior to digital cameras, we used to keep photocopies of the polo/headsheet. Poor at best. And I've never liked professional headshots because they look SO different from the real person. I can't tell you how many times I've agreed to audition someone based on the prof. headshot and when s/he came into the office there was absolutely no resemblance. Usually too much Photoshopping!!! That doesn't work in advertising! In one instance I received a great headshot; someone who looked really right for the job. When this person entered the studio to audition all the clients and I knew immediately that this person was transgendered. While not a problem in and of itself, for this particular advertisement, it was. The headshot had been Photoshopped.

Digital cameras revolutionized casting for me even tho they didn't completely eliminate Polaroids due to the instant gratification factor. This new POGO should take that revolution to the next level. I hope!

Comment

I connect my digital camera directly to my printer with USB cord. I take picture with camera and then hit print. !Oeiau! I can select any format up to 8.5x11. If you want really quick and dirty, just use copy paper.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The POGO has arrived, battery is charged and now it's time to figure out what amounts to a computer housed within a camera...just like any other digital camera. The POGO even records video with sound. I wonder if it instantly prints out a videotape!

Comment

I adjusted the settings to what I thought my needs might be and...and...yowzah...the POGO is sooooo cool! It prints slower than the old Polo camera and the printing feature must be accessed via the menu, rather than the usual click and print all wrapped into one motion. Still...once I get the choreography in writing for my assistant this all in one camera/printer should work just fine. Even on VGA mode, the resolution is better than the old polo prints. Plus the images can be downloaded to the computer...very easy. Aaaaah...one camera can do it all now! The only remaining issue is the battery. I'm going to need some time to see if Polaroid's estimate of it lasting for 20 photos is accurate. I assume that also includes printing. Still, I can go thru 115 photos in one day, as I did a couple of weeks ago, so I need to see how I can maximize use of the battery...or see if I can leave the camera plugged in while using it...or find out if I can buy add'l batteries which I've heard isn't possible right now. Time will tell! But what a cool toy! It has so many features...cropping, borders, removing red eye, combining shots of 2 people into a single image, attaching voice messages to still images, self timer, yada, yada!

So far my only fear, other than the battery issue, is it's a first generation product. Will it be buggy? Will it become obsolete with a major upgrade in the near future? Stay tuned...

BTW, this is a 5.0mp camera that makes 2" x 3" prints on sticky back photo paper.

Comment

Maybe look into a personal solar charger.

Something like this:

http://www.solio.com/charger/

If it'd work with the camera it'd make you more portable without worrying about not having an outlet near by, specially if you can't swap out batteries.

Comment

Working...
                              X