Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where are you from?

I agree with btwn2c.

"Home" is where the heart is, where loved ones are.

I've moved around a lot and have happy memories for a number of places. Still, I wouldn't necessarily feel compelled to go back unless a part of my heart was still called there.

When I"m asked where I'm from I usually give the most recent move. Depending on the intent of the question, that often suffices.

Of course, then there's those longer conversation about "where are you from?" that are really about something more than geography.
    If standing up, please hold on. Sudden stops are sometimes necessary - Da Bus

Comment

When someone asks where I'm from, I usually say "originally or most recently?" I'm originally from southern Illinois (as in, 6 hours south of Chicago, on the Kentucky/Illinois border) but have moved 3 or 4 times in the last decade or so. My favorite was living in and around Austin, Texas.

Currently, I'm back in southern Illinois (where I'm really and truly landlocked ) while I finish grad school but will hopefully move away when I'm done.
      Last edited by KeleiGrrrl; May 3, 2009, 08:23 AM.
      Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

I suppose when answering this question, one could be a true smart a$$ and just say, "My mother."

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Places I've lived for a year or more, in alphabetical order:

California
          Connecticut
          Florida
          Georgia
          Hawai`i
          Nevada
          Utah
          Vietnam

But, I'm "from" Hawai`i
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            Why would the gay lobby pick a state like Iowa for their push for same sex marriage? They must have been thinking of their honeymoon night of Iooowwwaaa...
            Most of Iowa's population is consentrated into the cities, which although are all small, still have a quite urban feel. This part of the midwest is actually quite liberal in culture in comparison to other parts of our midwest neighbors. The vast and sparsly populated agricultural areas surrounding the cities has more of a conservative feel to their culture. This is what makes the Iowa caucuses so interesting to the rest of the country.

By the way, there are plenty of gay people right here in the Iowa cities to make a difference. There is a Pride festival every year here in Davenport where I live. I live about 6 blocks from what we all call the 'rainbow district'. It comes as no supprise to me that this would become a state which recognizes same-sex marrage.

Comment

Proud to say: Born and raised in Hawaii. Been around the world twice in both directions. Lived in Idaho, Colorado, Texas. Visited the Middle East, Been to Europe. Greatest experience in Paris was stepping off the train and into a puddle of piss...lovely welcome to France.

But having been a world traveller, when I came home to Hawaii, I stepped off the plane, dropped to my knees and kissed the tarmac. Lived the life of an East Honolulu resident, experienced many cultures all over the world twice, and finally moved to the Big Island to feel a deeper sense of Hawaii, two of my children in one of Hilo's oldest canoe teams Hui Waa O Waikea. Now entrenched in a deeper appreciation for the Aina. This local boy has embraced the richness of these beautiful islands. And they say you need to have a degree to be worldly. I wonder how many graduates never left the islands much less the United States. I can tell them what worldly is.

There's no better place to be than beautiful Hawaii. Hawaii No Ka Oi
              Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 28, 2009, 08:47 AM.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I was listening to one of the shows this past week on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. Craig was asking a couple of girls some questions, it turns out that the girls are twins and Craig asked "So where are you from?".

One girl says "I'm from Los Angeles and she is from Milwaukee."

Craig responds by saying "Really, how do you manage that?", after some laughter from the audience and I suspect some funny faces type of reactions, then Craig re-phrases his question by saying "So where were you born?"

One of the girls answered "Chicago."

Comment

When people ask me where I'm from, I always say, "Hawai'i". Because that's where I was born and raised. And Hawai'i is the culture that I identify with. And with a name like Mokihana, well, people generally assume I'm not from Oregon!

Of course, there was the guy who wanted to call me Pocahantas and got pretty irate when I told him no. Sheesh.
                  Aloha,
                  Mokihana

Comment

Whoa! A Mokihana sighting! Even rarer than the ultra-rare Lurkah, methinks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      But, I'm "from" Hawai`i
                      Should have mentioned: I was born in Connecticut, and lived there till I was 20. I've lived in Hawai`i for 31 years. All the other places were temporary, just a year or two.
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I've lived in the same house in Kalihi for almost 26 years now. Up until 2008, I only ever visited neighbor islands, but then I finally got to visit the mainland. Great experience, but I don't know if I could handle moving away from Hawaii. First I should try to manage moving into a different house, maybe.
                        myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

kupomog sighting!
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yeah I think I was too shy for my own good when I first joined so I disappeared for a bit >.<
                            myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

I was born in Saskatchewan in Regina.
                              My dearly missed parents lived in Weyburn.
                              The winters were very cold but our family was close knit and defeated the cold.

Comment

I always take a deep breath and reply: MadisonWisconsinKohlerWisconsinParkForestIllinoisB ethesdaMarylandBedfordMassachausettsGlencoeIllinoi sHonoluluHawaiiClaremontCaliforniaLincolnCityOrego nStPaulMinnesotaNewPragueMinnesotaBozemanMontana. And PaloloValley since 1987.

Comment

Working...
                                X