Going to Big Island, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Big Island, what to do?

Hi guys, I'm planning a trip with a few friends (5 people total), and was wondering what is there to do on the Big Island? (Never been there before)

This is what we came up with so far:

ATV tour
    Waterfall
    Lava flow
    Shark tour

.........any suggestions? Cheaper the better

Thanks HawaiiThreads!

Re: Going to Big Island, what to do?

It's been a long time since I have been to the Big Island so most of the stuff I say here might be out of date.

If you and your friends are planning to spend some time in Hilo then you should head over to Coconut Island in Hilo Bay, there is a nice view of the coast from the island and it also a place to have a picnic.

And there is Ken Pancake House, it's open 24 hours a day.

Comment

I went on the Lava Flow boat trip and it wasn't expensive. The helicopter 30 min fly past was costly. Have the time of your life. I love the Big Island but it's nowhere as exciting as Oahu. Can we have pickies ?

Comment

Go up (or down) the Hamakua Coast and make sure you stop at Akaka Falls out of Laupahoehoe.

Comment

Hike the trails around the Volcanoes Nat'l Park HQ.

The steam vents and lava tubes are pretty cool.

Spend some time in Hilo. Still real.

Hike the coastline to within sight of the lava flows at dusk.

Bodysurf at Hapuna. Don't at Green Sand, but go anyway.

Snorkel at Kahalu'u Beach. Touristy but if you go well out you'll be alone.
          Plenty of reef life.

Go to the snow on Mauna Kea.

Eat Opakapaka somewhere. Eat the pork chops at the Manago in Capt. Cook.
          Last edited by sinjin; April 9, 2009, 06:59 AM.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I love the Big Island!

And have some stories and pics to share where to go!
            http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog/index.php?id=1179
            http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog/index.php?id=1182
            http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog/index.php?id=1183
            http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog/index.php?id=1184
            http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog/index.php?id=1185
            http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog/index.php?id=1186

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
            Last edited by 1stwahine; April 9, 2009, 07:10 AM.
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Sinjin was pretty complete, I would add a visit to Volcano Town - it's like home away from home. Across the street is Mauna Loa Estates subdivision, 1/2-acre lots mostly undeveloped, and priced reasonably! No mosquitos at that altitude.

Lava flows are interesting, Damien's church in Pahoa area is filled with lava. Queen's bath (natural hot-tub) gone... Auntie Pele took it back.
              Most of Pahoa is gone.

Stay off the saddle road as much as possible, bad mana, lots of accidents!

Keanakolu Road to Mauna Kea has a place called "Magnetic Hill," if you go, bring a compass to check it out.

It's a BIG island, literally. Can't see it all, even in a week.
              Some people like Kona.... I'm a windward boy.
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Helen knows how to answer this question.

Corned beef hash and eggs at Ken's House of Pancakes (open 24 hours!).
                Roast pork loco moco at Blane's Drive-In.
                Nori burger, saimin, and meat stick at Nori's.
                Malasadas at Tex Drive-In.
                Whatever the special is at Cafe Pesto.
                Any loco moco variant at Cafe 100 even though it's not that good.
                Couple of gravyburgers 'cause nobody seems to have them on Oahu and EVERYONE has them in Hilo.
                More corned beef hash and eggs at Ken's.
                100% Kona coffee wherever and whenever you can get it. I like Bear's downtown.
                Don't remember the name of it and don't know if it's still there, but there's a great ice cream place downtown.
                Chinese food at Leungs, but only if you gotta have Chinese food.

If you're there long enough, start back over from the top of the list.
                Last edited by scrivener; April 9, 2009, 11:53 PM.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

You could go to the Waipio overlook, there are tours that go down to the valley floor and the beach there. I have hiked it but the legs got so SORE!! An easier hike is to the Pololu valley and beach. Drive the slow road north from Hilo, note Onomea. Swim at Richardson's in Hilo. Drive the Red Road south and east of Hilo, along the coast. Swim at Kealakekua Bay, being careful of the rocks as you enter and leave the water. You can swim at the Pu'uhonua o Honaunau national park but do not leave towels on the beach, it is a religious site, a heiau, which is itself well worth visiting. The south Kona coast is... how to put it, a total delight; there are a couple of restaurants with outdoor seating overlooking the coast. Do not miss the volcano. The Kilauea Iki trail can be a bit difficult but well worth it, its amazing. The Volcano House is a good place to stop for a meal, overlooking the crater. However, tour busses stop there and disgorge vast quantities of other diners so if there is a big line, forget about it, move on. Most car rental companies do not permit driving the Saddle Road, but if you can find one that does, its an incredible road. I camped at Pohakuloa once but I am not sure if the campground still exists. The Hulihee Palace in Kona is not only historic with many interesting exhibits, it has one of the most interesting gift shops in Hawai'i. There are a lot of other wonderful things to see and do on the Big Island, discovering them yourself is part of the pleasure of visiting.

Comment

Powerline Road (no powerline anymore) on the Saddle. Best native wilderness area on the island.

Army Road (rectangle) off of Stainback Highway in Pu'u Maka'ala NAR. Best easily accessible native rainforest on the island.

Much more enjoyment if you study up on the native flora, fauna and ecology for a few weeks so you know what you're looking at when you get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      Stay off the saddle road as much as possible, bad mana, lots of accidents!

Actually a good portion of Saddle Road has been re-aligned and reconstructed. It it definitely not your old man's highway anymore. The State of Hawaii, CFLHD, Goodfellow Brothers recently completed a large chunk of this improvement between m.m 19-35. Goodfellow is currently working on the next phase between m.m 35-41.5. Hawaii County also resurfaced between m.m 35-44.

In a nutshell, hopefully by the middle of the next decade (2015) the entire stretch of Saddle Road should be improved.
                      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Miloli`i all the way! Just beautiful, relaxing and laid back. Of course Big Island is just plain remarkable, period! Enjoy!!! Wish I was going...
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm going to be staying in Hilo and am going to spend a whole day going around the island, keep the suggestions coming!

Comment

Originally posted by tptpgogogo View Post
                            Thanks guys! I'm going to be staying in Hilo and am going to spend a whole day going around the island, keep the suggestions coming!
                            I was there for a while ! You might find that you need more than a day to appreciate that magnificent part of our globe. I wanna see the pickies. Have a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by tptpgogogo View Post
                              Yes, you will. It's a "BIG" island. I recommend a big breakfast at Ken's before you embark on your circumnavigation.
                              Last edited by sinjin; April 13, 2009, 05:27 AM.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                              X