Harry Kalas, RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Kalas, RIP

Harry Kalas, longtime Hall-of-Fame Philadelphia sports broadcaster, died today. He was 73.

Does anyone remember that he got his start in Hawaii over forty years ago? IIRC he left the military & got hired at KGU to broadcast high school sports. I can still hear his distinctive voice giving us his fantastic play-by-play. Of course, he expanded his repertoire to include all local sports.

Eventually left for Houston, then Philadelphia.

Some years ago, the Sports Illustrated wrote articles outlining famous sports celebrities of all 50 States. In the Hawaii write-up, of course, Duke, Jesse, Nakama, Kono, etc. were all mentioned. I wish I'd kept that issue.

In Hawaii broadcasting, Harry Kalas was not mentioned while Monday Night Football's Al Michaels was. My e-mail to make them aware of their omission ended up in the Letters to the Editor section - rewritten / embellished by SI. I wish I'd kept that issue, too.
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Re: Harry Kalas, RIP

Note on today's Phillies game from AP - 04/13/2009 17:00:50
    By HOWARD FENDRICH:

"The Phillies taped up a color photo of their broadcaster inside the dugout Monday, with the words "Harry Kalas 1936-2009" written underneath. When Philadelphia's Shane Victorino homered in the third inning, he paused after touching home plate, crossed himself and pointed with his index finger toward the broadcast booth, where Kalas would have been working at Nationals Park."

Comment

I remember Harry Kalas, voice of the Islanders. The old PCL Hawaii Islanders had an amazing string of memorable announcers, including Harry Kalas and Al Michaels. Back then, the radio announcers were the "face" of the Islanders (there was no TV broadcast).

I think the most unique aspect of baseball broadcast in those days was the road games. It was not live. It was delayed and re-created. They would receive reports of the game and then "re-create" the action, including tapping a stick to indicate the bat hitting the ball. The announcers had to be creative and imaginative and entertaining to maintain the illusion. Maybe that's why the Islanders turned out so many great announcers.

RIP Harry Kalas.

Comment

Was Harry Kalas the voice of NFL films after John Facenda?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          Was Harry Kalas the voice of NFL films after John Facenda?

From AP - 04/13/2009 17:00:50
          By HOWARD FENDRICH:

'Kalas predecessor John Facenda "was the 'Voice of God' and Harry Kalas was the 'Voice of the People,'" NFL Films president Steve Sabol said in a written statement.'

Comment

It was good that Harry Kalas lived to call the final out for the 2008 World Champions Philadelphia Phillies.

Comment

Working...
            X