X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterans of the Armed Services

Even the title gets me:

"Veterans of the Armed Services."

Yet many of us were drafted, or enlisted, and carried arms (weapons) in defense of what our government told us was our best interests (or else!)

So, now we have a social group called "Veterans."
    http://www.hawaiithreads.com/group.php?groupid=13

No matter when or where, we have some things in common.

If you are seeking others who have been where you were, and understand, even if just a bit, it's the place to go. I can't demand your DD-214 for entrance, so beware of wannabees, but we've got your 6.

Snake
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Veterans of the Armed Services

Thanks for the warm invite. Can't post the photos on the open forum but you know what 'stable' I am out of. I can PM you more photos of the Falklands but non of Desert Storm.

Comment

Can't join you - but I can say "thank you." Sincerely.

And that comes from a peace-marchin' leftie who recognizes the value of our military, and knows that having citizens willing to step up, serve, be in harm's way and die guarantees that I have the freedom to be a peace-marchin' leftie.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

And that comes from a peace-marchin' leftie who recognizes the value of our military, and knows that having citizens willing to step up, serve, be in harm's way and die guarantees that I have the freedom to be a peace-marchin' leftie.
        Sure Feller, I've have fought under your flag with some of the bravest men and women from your Seals. Both men and women from the US of A combined with the Special Boat Squad in the Falklands.

I shouldn't have been there. Except from basic training, I can't use weapons,,,, Couldn't even hit a barn door. They sent me because I am fluent in French and Spanish. Somebody in their wisdom must have thought I could talk to Argentinian prisoners. In England if you put a bit of scrambled egg on a navy blue uniform (That's what we call it when you get rank) That golden yellow on their tunics often gives them delusions of adequacy.

We never wore rank on any of my
        'tours'.

I swapped/changed kit with a lot of your fellers who were much better equipped than us Brits. Many still keep in touch with me on MSN.

Comment

I'm no peace-marchin' leftie, but I am a leftie who otherwise thinks like you do.
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Many veterans (for obvious reasons) are pro-peace.
            Some don't want to be public (I've had HT contactees acknowledge support privately rather than reply here).

Frankly, I didn't want to go, but felt it was my duty. Your thanks are appreciated, and welcomed, in kind.

Best thing you can say to a Vietnam Veteran? "Welcome Home!" It's NOT 'too little, too late,' it's 'better late than never.'

Don't mean nuthin'.
            Last edited by Kaonohi; April 15, 2009, 02:20 PM. Reason: Who? Me?
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
            X