Hawaii Quake - 4/14/09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Quake - 4/14/09

Hey, my son just informed me of a 5.0 quake today off the Big Island. That is plenty big enough to shake my socks off, and I'm a CA native!! I hate earthquakes!! Did anyone reading this experience it? Hope all is well there now and there were no injuries or major damage.

Re: Hawaii Quake Today?

I will keep in tune. I've got friends there and they will tell me what is going on. Let's just hope that nobody is injured.

Comment

Mahalo, Barry--please let us all know when you hear something.

Comment

Both the Advertiser and the Star Bulletin have the story on their websites. No damage reported from the quake. It was fairly shallow, so it wasn't felt on the other islands. No tsunami was generated.
        No harm, no foul.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Hawaii Quake - 4/14/09

We could feel it wind up and then shake the bldg for about 5 sec.

Our earthquakes here are NOT like the ones in CA. I will take a 6pointer here, which is a water bed roll, to the friction-driven ones up there.

My fear is two-fold: 1)did the mountain blow? 2)will the waves rise?

pax

Comment

It's 7 a.m here in England and I have been up half of the night talking to my mates in Hilo on the mobile/cell phone. I am assured that no waves will be caused and the other islands are safe. So far as I have been informed, there have been no injuries.

Comment

Here's a link to some informative info about Kilauea: http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs132-98/

Comment

Thanks for all the info--I am so glad all is well. I have heard that quakes there are so different than the ones here on the mainland, especially in So Cal--they are terrible here. Glad everyone is fine!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
                  I have heard that quakes there are so different than the ones here on the mainland, especially in So Cal--they are terrible here.
                  Actually, the potential for large, destructive earthquakes on the Big Island is the same as the worst areas of So Cal. Plus we have hurricanes. Lucky we live Hawaii.

Comment

Some time back in the '80's we were camping on the east side of Maui, with KIPA from Hilo on the radio and heard somebody on air scream then the station went silent and a few seconds later we felt a big rolling; it had been a big quake on the Big Island. The station came back on the air and when the network news came on, from New York, at the top of the next hour they led with a tape of exactly what we had heard with the station being knocked off the air.

Another memorable quake was here in Cal, the Loma Prieta Quake of '89. I had the world series on a house radio, everything proceding normally, but by the time I got to the car and turned on its radio the same station was saying ..."we don't know how big it was but it knocked our sister station in San Francisco completely off the air!"; it hit on the opening pitch of the cross Bay world series! A friend had a brother die in a building collapse in the Marina district. Another friend was trapped in a traffic jam on the highway home to Santa Cruz, and luckily so--when we visited her a few months later she showed us huge gouges in her living room floor caused when her chimney collapsed, throwing bricks all over. If she had gotten home in time to watch the series, she would have been hit by those bricks. Santa Cruz itself was so weird--most of the downtown businesses had relocated to a large air supported tent, some buildings looked absolutely fine but were marked as uninhabitable, some looked damaged but were functioning just fine, there were some vacant lots where buildings had been. The architecture department at Stanford suffered extensive damage. Overall it could have been much worse because so many people had gone home early to watch the Series. Traffic jams in Oakland went on for years while the wreckage of the Bay Bridge approaches was cleared.

Comment

Working...
                    X