Sign waving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sign waving

Am I the only one who laughs every time driving by the wannabe politicians that waves a sign with his/her name on it? Is the intention to brainwash people? I get enough spam in my mail.......do I have to get it on my way to/from work? One candidate even posts the details of his sign waving on his Twitter page.

When did a person's name become more important than the issues?

What a about debates? Town hall meetings with all of the candidates, etc? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there's been one debate. Pathetic!
    kiddori

Re: Sign waving

If I'm not mistaken, sign waving is a very long Hawaii tradition. It's not just the wannabes who participate, either. Since it's not election season when sign waving is in full force, might you be referring to the election on the windward side to replace Barbara Marshall?

Comment

Sign waving is indeed a long-standing Hawaii tradition when it comes to getting elected to office. and getting their name out there is important! Some candidates don't have the funds for all the tv ads & newspaper exposure. So, they stand on a corner, in the hot sun & smile & wave at folks driving by. They also hand out info to pedestrians - a lot of whom will end up standing there waving a sign for a few minutes. Sign waving also shows dedication on the part of the candidate who is willing to put themself to some effort to win my vote. I tend to think a little less of a candidate who doesn't sign wave. We are very fortunate here that our politicians are so accessible to everyday citizens. We can talk to them directly and meet them personally, not just through a tv ad or something stuffed into our mailboxes. Thats important to me - if you want my vote, you BETTER make an effort to look me in the eyes and tell me why I should vote for you.

Yes, issues are very important - but sign waving is our unique way of campaigning, one of those "Only in Hawaii" things and I think it's fun. I've spent many hours standing on a corner, smiling like a fool & waving at all the cars that go by, just to help someone get elected. and I've enjoyed every minute of it!
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I always wave back to all of the sign wavers! Shakas for em' all, whether I support their candidate or not.
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mattias View Post
          Am I the only one who laughs every time driving by the wannabe politicians that waves a sign with his/her name on it? Is the intention to brainwash people? I get enough spam in my mail.......do I have to get it on my way to/from work? One candidate even posts the details of his sign waving on his Twitter page.

When did a person's name become more important than the issues?

What a about debates? Town hall meetings with all of the candidates, etc? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there's been one debate. Pathetic!
          lol You ain't seen nothin' yet. Wait till there's a big election. I had pretty much the same reaction as you. These dedicated people were out at sunrise doing their thing. It was a little too much for me that early in the morning so I started taking a different route to work. Somehow that's all very amusing to me now. As noted above, it's just one of the ways things are done here. Dis ain't da mainland, Bruddah!

Comment

Although it's a great implementation of first amendment rights, I'm waiting for the study that correlates traffic accidents to the presence of sign wavers.
            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I'd rather have the sign wavers, than the signs that are planted onto people's yards or tied to fences. At least the sign wavers eventually leave and take their signs with them. Signs that are planted somewhere can become real eyesores if they get vandalized. And then of course, some candidates/property owners don't take down their signs months after an election is over and done with.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I know it's part of our tradition and it is definitely not the first time I see it. However, the candidates of the current City Council District 3 election has taken it to a new level. At least in earlier elections there were more than just sign waving. To me it feels like these candidates all they do is sign waving.

I don't mind sign waving if it has a message on it. However, all I see are names. What do I get out of their name? I want to see messages.....for example "lower taxes now" or "stop development in xxxxx" or something like that. Some of these candidates have signs that are 6x4 feet. You can fit a lot of information on those but instead they just put their name. Ok, I've seen one candidate put "it's all about experience" which is kind of funny considering the experience of his opponents.

Anyway, a sign with a name doesn't do it for me. I want to hear more debates, see more meetings, and more messages.
                kiddori

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  Sign waving is indeed a long-standing Hawaii tradition when it comes to getting elected to office. and getting their name out there is important! Some candidates don't have the funds for all the tv ads & newspaper exposure. So, they stand on a corner, in the hot sun & smile & wave at folks driving by. They also hand out info to pedestrians - a lot of whom will end up standing there waving a sign for a few minutes. Sign waving also shows dedication on the part of the candidate who is willing to put themself to some effort to win my vote. I tend to think a little less of a candidate who doesn't sign wave. We are very fortunate here that our politicians are so accessible to everyday citizens. We can talk to them directly and meet them personally, not just through a tv ad or something stuffed into our mailboxes. Thats important to me - if you want my vote, you BETTER make an effort to look me in the eyes and tell me why I should vote for you.

Yes, issues are very important - but sign waving is our unique way of campaigning, one of those "Only in Hawaii" things and I think it's fun. I've spent many hours standing on a corner, smiling like a fool & waving at all the cars that go by, just to help someone get elected. and I've enjoyed every minute of it!
                  Mahalo Anapuni!

Sign Waving is not an easy task but it is FuN for me also! It is customary to have only a name on a sign but some choose to put their pictures on too. More information? That would clutter the sign, better left on a pamphlet. Or found on a A Candidate's Web Site.

Love and ALOHA,

Lynn Vasquez-Dela Cerna
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

What effort goes into waving a sign?

If I'm going to vote for someone I want the candidate to put some real effort into their campaigning. You don't need much effort in standing by side of the street waving your name. There's no guts in that. I want a candidate to reach the voters by having debates, meetings, gatherings, etc. Tell me what you stand for and what you want to do for the community. Issues!!

With sign waving - a politician only shows off their name - and the voters have to do all the research.

Also, what's up with properties having like 4 different signs on them. Take a stand for crying out loud!
                    kiddori

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      ,,, sign waving is our unique way of campaigning, one of those "Only in Hawaii" things ...
                      There was a discussion of this a couple years back, and I noted that there's a lot of sign-waving in other parts of the country. But then you good folks told me many tales about the level of this activity in Hawai`i, and I had to concede - only in Hawai`i does it extend to the degree it does.

I don't mind sign waving if it has a message on it. However, all I see are names. What do I get out of their name? I want to see messages...
                      I agree that I'm more interested in a message or a position than a name. But a percentage of voters remember Candidate SoAndSo's name better than they recall "the lady who supports garbage-collectors' rights," since their ballot will only list the former. Many voters will see a name and, if they don't know it, research "who is that candidate and what do they stand for."

Comment

What effort goes into waving a sign?

If I'm going to vote for someone I want the candidate to put some real effort into their campaigning. You don't need much effort in standing by side of the street waving your name. There's no guts in that. I want a candidate to reach the voters by having debates, meetings, gatherings, etc. Tell me what you stand for and what you want to do for the community. Issues!!

With sign waving - a politician only shows off their name - and the voters have to do all the research.

Also, what's up with properties having like 4 different signs on them. Take a stand for crying out loud!
                        What effort?

Getting up early in the morning and stand up for hours. Going back out again in the hot afternoon and doing the same. Talking to your constituents and anyone who passes by (at least it was for me)...answering questions. I can only speak for myself. Dedication and wanting to serve my community is what I wanted to do. I participated in Debates and did what needed to be done. Did I win? No. But I gain knowledge and wisdom. Sign Waving is part of the political game in Hawaii. Name Recognition for those of us who are new to the game. We are newbies who want to serve our communities.

Sign Waving?

It was. It shall. It will continue.

Love and ALOHA,

Lynn Vasquez-Dela Cerna

Comment

Researching.....that is pretty much all I've done the last few weeks since I haven't had a chance to meet any of the candidates yet. It's not like I can stop on the Pali and talk to them when they are waving their sign.

So after looking at the candidates' websites it comes down to what stand they take on certain issues I prioritize. One popular candidate don't even take a stand on his website so he will not be on my short list.
                          kiddori

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                            Getting up early in the morning and stand up for hours. Going back out again in the hot afternoon and doing the same. Talking to your constituents and anyone who passes by (at least it was for me)...answering questions.
                            Sorry, I do that every day of my life and don't consider it a real effort. If a candidate has a strong conviction on community issues they need to do more than that. I actually would hope that all of us gets up early in the morning and stand up for hours......otherwise we're doomed.
                            Last edited by Mattias; April 15, 2009, 07:31 AM.
                            kiddori

Comment

Sorry, I do that every day of my life and don't consider it a real effort. If a candidate has a strong conviction on community issues they need to do more than that. I actually would hope that all of us gets up early in the morning and stand up for hours......otherwise we're doomed.
                              Bwwaaaaaaaaaaaa...you must be Mr. Whitfield's relative.

(grumble, grumble, grumble)

Have a good day sir.

Lynn
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; April 15, 2009, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X