X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sign waving

Originally posted by Mattias View Post
    What effort goes into waving a sign?

If I'm going to vote for someone I want the candidate to put some real effort into their campaigning. You don't need much effort in standing by side of the street waving your name. There's no guts in that. I want a candidate to reach the voters by having debates, meetings, gatherings, etc. Tell me what you stand for and what you want to do for the community. Issues!!
    Just out of curiosity, how is it that you think a debate, a meeting, a gathering, etc. is arranged? Many candidates would love nothing better to get their issues out in this manner. What you in your naïveté don’t seem to understand is, the candidates have nothing to do with making this happen. It is purely up to the television station, radio station, newspaper or community organization to finance such an endeavor. If they (in their infinite wisdom ) don’t believe enough of the viewers, listeners, readers, special interest group etc. would be interested, then it doesn’t happen.

So let’s say for the sake of the argument the Kailua/Waimanalo city council seat suddenly becomes the election of the century. Then would come step two: getting enough candidates to agree to meet on a specific day, at a specific time, and with specific ground rules for interacting with the candidates, and in most cases, a moderator. If you don’t understand how much of a political minefield that is, or why frontrunners would decline to participate, you clearly are venting without any relevant facts.

Consider who it is that held the one and only debate you alluded to earlier. Hint: the word “Public” is part of their namesake.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi
      For instance: alluding that my contact for legal services is worthless (not your words, but your insinuation) because I posted a humorous story is, at the very least irrelevant, and certainly out of line. It could do much harm, and no good.
      I thought this was done and over with?

As I already said on that thread, I've got nothing more to say on that. But if you're not ready to let it go, it would be better form to make your comments on the thread in question.

But hey, that's just my advice. Do whatever you want.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

(Sigh) Ignoring obvious signs....

Sure, that issue was, as you say, "over and done with."

But that's not what it's about, no matter how you try to squirm out of it.
        This is a regular tendency of yours. I was just using that as a familiar example. I noticed your exchange with scriviner, and it seemed so familiar. You seem to like to put other people down in the name of "calling it like I see it." Your opinions have the flavor of denouncements.
        Hey, you're entitled to your 1st amendment rights, but then so are the rest of us. You can dish it out; can you take it?

If you have "nothing more to say on that" why even reply here? You could easily ignore me... or perhaps you can't?

I offered you a chance to talk about it privately, but you ignored my request. Are you now going to claim you never read your private messages?

I let your stupid and irrelevent denouncement of my recommendations go. But I've got this Crusader complex, see? I can handle being taken advantage of, but when I see you using the same techniques to put other people down as well, well then, I'm going to "Call the BS like I see it." It's not like it's a one-time thing.

Frankie-Bob, you have a lot to contribute to this thread, and I respect your opinions for the most part. But if you are going to continue to trash people for a misspelling, or because they haven't checked out a story on snopes, I can only deduce that you're dealing with unrepaired ego issues. Yes, I will call you on it, so long as you persist in calling others on it.

Can't you give us the "good stuff" without putting people down? I'll bet you could, if you tried.

Would you rather I started a thread documenting your put-downs of other posters in this forum?

You have so many valuable things to contribute here. You don't need to demean or denigrate other people to get your ideas across. In fact, when you do, it diminishes the impact and authority of your ideas.

If you need help, ask. If you think you don't need help, it's a sure sign that you do. You know what I mean.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        I thought this was done and over with?

As I already said on that thread, I've got nothing more to say on that. But if you're not ready to let it go, it would be better form to make your comments on the thread in question.

But hey, that's just my advice. Do whatever you want.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re: (Sigh) Ignoring obvious signs....

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
          Sure, that issue was, as you say, "over and done with."

But that's not what it's about, no matter how you try to squirm out of it.
          This will be my final comment on this off-topic detour of yours.

On the "Likelike Speed Trap" thread where this whole thing started, I broke an earlier pledge to no longer post on that thread. But I did it to deservedly praise you for a good suggestion you made to Windward Skies about dealing with a speeding ticket.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...8&postcount=34

Well, let it not be said that while I'll call BS when I see it, I won't give credit when credit is due and deserved.

Kaonohi offers up a good idea here.... if one is seeking to have the speeding ticket mitigated rather than dismissed. And if the offender has no previous speeding violations, then he stands a good chance of the judge reducing the fine.

OTOH, when you broach this topic again, you do it to lecture me and rehash the same old arguments.

I'll leave it to everyone to decide for themselves who is the one picking at an old scab here.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: (Sigh) Ignoring obvious signs....

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            This will be my final comment on this off-topic detour of yours.
            Well, sometimes detours are necessary for safe conduct and avoidance of pitfalls. I offered you a chance at a private interchange, but you ignored it, so I put it where I think appropriate. I'm hardly surprised you disagree.

Perhaps you didn't notice the lavish praise I offered on behalf of your contributions:
            E.g.: "Your knowledge and erudition is valuable here and I don't want to miss it.",
            "Bob, you contribute significantly already, and you have much to contribute here in the future,".
            Or perhaps you just ignored it?

Those comments I offered as 'constructive criticism,' I can hardly mention without including the context.
            Please don't take it personally and get offended and put up shields - you'll never get the message that way.

All I'm saying is that you can put your message across quite adequately without the belittling and denigration of the opinions of others.
            Don't you agree?
            ~ ~

Comment

Kaonohi, stop this ridiculousness. Maybe take a break from the site. I encourage you both to simply ignore each other. If it proves too difficult to resist petty sniping, I can help with a HT vacation.

Any further comments not related to the topic at hand will be deleted without comment. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                The other thing that gripes me is the trash bags with the bumper stickers. Originally volunteers cleaned up the road and the trash bags were left for a day to say “look what we did”. Now they just come out dump the bags along the road, leave them a week before picking them back up.

Where do you get orange trash bags anyway?
                At least in this case some benefit is to the public...
                Though I like better that the "adopted highways" are consistent rather than just at election time.
                Would that our candidates keep cleaning up as the volunteer groups do.

I still view it all as subtle mind-control programming. See a name often enough and it will stick out on the ballot as well. It kind of denigrates the political system into a popularity contest. "Vote for the most popular entrant" rather than the most competent.
                ~ ~

Comment

Of course it's a popularity contest - thats what politics is! If we happen to find a candidate who also supports our issues, then that's a good thing and we can vote for them. Otherwise, we vote for the most popular. Because it would be very naive to actually believe all the rhetoric that is spewed at us by candidates for office.

I perhaps have a very cynical viewpoint since I've been involved in politics for many years - not as an elected official but at the party level and in many campaigns.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

from Webster's Dictionary:

Main Entry: pol·i·tics
                    Pronunciation: \ˈpä-lə-ˌtiks\
                    Function: noun plural but singular or plural in construction
                    Etymology: Greek politika, from neuter plural of politikos political
                    Date: circa 1529
                    1 a: the art or science of government b: the art or science concerned with guiding or influencing governmental policy c: the art or science concerned with winning and holding control over a government
                    2: political actions, practices, or policies
                    3 a: political affairs or business ; especially : competition between competing interest groups or individuals for power and leadership (as in a government) b: political life especially as a principal activity or profession c: political activities characterized by artful and often dishonest practices4: the political opinions or sympathies of a person
                    5 a: the total complex of relations between people living in society b: relations or conduct in a particular area of experience especially as seen or dealt with from a political point of view <office politics> <ethnic politics>

Main Entry: pol&#183;i&#183;ti&#183;cian
                    Pronunciation: \ˌp&#228;-lə-ˈti-shən\
                    Function: noun
                    Date: 1589
                    1: a person experienced in the art or science of government ; especially : one actively engaged in conducting the business of a government
                    2 a: a person engaged in party politics as a profession b: a person primarily interested in political office for selfish or other narrow usually short-sighted reasons
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                    X