• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 6

Lame Partial Solar Eclipse in Honolulu, Hawaii. Flickr
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

That is incredibly cool, Mel.

Comment

Cool shots guys. The eclipse sequence is my favorite.

Here's a few more from the Alaska adventure. First is another shot from the plane, somewhere over British Columbia.

Next is Fireweed. This plant grows all over Alaska, sometimes in expansive stands that turn a hillside purple.

This is a pic of the craggy peaks outside of Palmer. The forest fire smoke was pretty heavy that day.

Comment

Jim75, those Alaska shots are spectacular. The purple flowers look like orchids. The hillsides must be nice with these coloring them all purple.

All of the photos on these pages are great in their own way. It's good to see all kinds of images no matter what they are or what subjects they cover. Photography is art, a passion, newsworthy and all that.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

One day we hiked up to the Raven Glacier at Crow Pass. It's about 8 miles roundtrip from the trailhead and you gain about 2800 feet in elevation, not counting rises and falls along the way. Not a killer, but it weeds out the casual strollers. One foot in front of the other. It'll be worth it.

It was nice and warm and the hike gets your blood circulating real good. When we got to the little mountain lake/pond near the top, one of my nephews insisted on going for a dip. The water is coming straight from glacier and snowpack, so it's ice cold. He laid down in it for a short while, then popped out with a big grin and said "I'm numb". A true Alaskan.

At the top of the pass, we stopped to take it all in for a while. We had a snack, including Kona coffee glazed mac nuts from Tropical Farms Hawaii. Here's one of me and two of my nephews in front of Raven Glacier.

Comment

The trip down is veritable cake. Just breezin' from here on in.

As it turns out, the Menehunes are widely traveled. Witness the hoodoo they left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  Jim75, those Alaska shots are spectacular. The purple flowers look like orchids. The hillsides must be nice with these coloring them all purple.

All of the photos on these pages are great in their own way. It's good to see all kinds of images no matter what they are or what subjects they cover. Photography is art, a passion, newsworthy and all that.
                  Thanks Mel.

Comment

Wow, Jim! I wanna go Alaska! So dramatic and beautiful! Mahalo for the visual journey.

Comment

Great shots Jim!

what lense were you using? 18-200?
                      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Wow, wow and wow!!!
                        Okay then, Alaska some day too.
                        So many places, so little money. HaHa!
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Thanks for the comments on the pics. Alaska is definitely an awe inspiring place. It's also very cold and dark in the winter. You need to enjoy winter sports or being inside a lot, but you can have frequent moose and occassional bears in your yard for your viewing pleasure.

Brian, the BC Mountains, fireweed, and peaks w/smoke were all shot with the 18-200m. The others were shot with the 12-24mm.

I'll throw this out there in case anyone else has this experience with their camera (if it's an SLR). Quite a while back, I started having spots and blips show up in my photos, particularly in skies or any area of the pic that had little detail. I've done a ton of processing to 'photoshop' them out. I cleaned my lenses good to no avail. I wondered if there was dust that had gotten inside the lenses or if the camera sensor had gotten dust on it. I assumed that in either of those instances it would require shipping to the manufacturer for a costly cleaning. Turns out, this is common and can be remedied with an air blower, not areosol though. So I got a Giotta air blower, put the camera on mirror lock-up, and a couple of puffs did the trick.

Maybe more Alaska pics later, but here's three shots from Friday morning on my way to work in Kona. First is Molokai, Lanai, and West Maui. Second is the West Maui mountains. Third is Lanai and Maui. The clouds obscure the land that connects west Maui with Haleakala.

Comment

The Star Ferry in Hong Kong. Year 2000.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The Greg Hammer Band at the Honolulu Family Festival carnival, 8-1-09.

The silly Sponge Bob Squarepants from Nickelodeon cable. 8-1-09

The Honolulu Family Festival carnival night shot. 8-1-09

Honolulu Family Festival slide show on Flickr. 28 images.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Lava entering the ocean, taken on our trip to the Big Island in July.

A dolphin at the Hilton Waikoloa Village
                                I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X