HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 6

Jim75, beautiful night shots of the city taken from high up and of the various places and people in SE Asia.

On another note I took a photo of this typo:

Enjoy the Chritsmas holiday!
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Oh my gosh Jim, those pictures are fantastic and what a trip! I can't wait to see your blog.
      ~~~~~~
      Hanalei Bay Resort | Waipouli Beach Resort | Kuhio Shores

Comment

great pictures jim! i tried using acdsee to see what gear you used but maybe you used photoshop + layers or something cuz there was no info; just curious, which camera and lens did you use for the bangkok picture? been to thailand a gazillion times and love it; looking forward to more pictures!
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Grounded!

This boat got stuck on the reef at Point Panic. People came by to watch the slow salvage operation this afternoon. The tanker truck at left is pumping the 600 gallons of fuel out of the boat. The fishing boat is still stuck on the reef tonight. Taken with my Sony Cybershot U30 pocket digital camera.

More details.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

mel, that's a really nice shot but i'm not familiar with the u30 so i tried looking it up on the amazon site without success; the only one that turned up is a 2 megapixel camera and i don't think that could be what you used. just curious...
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I bought the 2.0 megapixel Sony Cybershot U30 back in 2004 during a closeout sale at Shirokiya. Cost me $150 back then. It's a small, boxy point and shoot camera, fixed focus, does lousy 10 second video clips, and has no zoom whatsoever.

I love the camera because it is so small and I can take it just about everywhere with me. I've taken thousands of photos with it of which I have about 470 posted to my Flickr photostream.

The boat shot was done at maximum resolution 1632x1224* and only slightly manipulated in photoshop (sharpen edges)... that's about it. It's pretty decent for a 2 megapixel camera.

While I love shooting with my higher end cameras, I like to amaze myself and others with what low end cameras can do.

* must be logged into flickr to see jumbo size photo.
              Last edited by mel; December 3, 2009, 10:46 PM. Reason: added another link & info
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

well you amazed me! awesome ;-)

Comment

Somehow I missed some of the pictures on page 11 until today. Menehune Man's post #217 of the sailboats is beautiful and Tattrat's fall leaves and water shots are very good.

Speaking of cameras, I've been using an old Canon Rebel for years. It's one of the first models and is bigger and heavier than the newer Rebels. Plus the display on the back of mine is so small that it's hard to see what I actually captured until I load it onto my computer. But all in all it's been a great camera. It takes nice shots and it's durable and rugged. I cram it in backpacks and glove boxes and it holds up. I bought my daughter a newer model of the Rebel a couple of years ago. It has more features and is smaller and lighter. I've been jealous of it ever since.

This year I coughed up the money and bought the Canon 5D Mark II plus a bunch of nice lenses. My plan was to get a bunch of great shots while floating the Colorado down the Grand Canyon. I've actually done the Grand several times in my years and it's one of my favorite places in the world. I debated for quite a while whether to take such an expensive camera on a river trip, but knowing what beauty is there in the canyon I knew I had to take the 5D. I left my Rebel at home.

I researched several waterproof cases and finally bought a dryZone by Lowepro because it would be suitable for all the hiking I would be doing. It a pretty good bag with a waterproof zipper. They warn you that it's only waterproof if the zipper is closed all the way. Duh.

The problem is that it isn't too easy to shut it all the way. The zipper works well except that you have to pull hard to get it to close the last inch of the seal.

The bag and camera worked well until the 3rd day. I was going through a relatively mild rapid at mile 23.5. The rapid is called "Indian Dick." I know, that should have been a warning right? Anyway I managed to flip my raft. I came up out of the river under the boat, my head floating in an air chamber where my feet normally are. If I'd thought about it, I probably could have checked my bag which was tied to raft next to my chair. But silly me, the first thing I thought of was making sure that my boys were okay. I swam out from under the boat and located both of them. One holding onto the starboard and the other on port. They were fine.

It took us a little while to right the raft and as soon as the boat rolled back over I saw my camera bag and inspected it. You guessed it... it was unzipped about an inch. If the rapid had been one of the big hairy ones, I would have been more careful in closing it, but it was only Indian Dick, and I wasn't worried about it.

The bag had about an inch of water in it and my D5 was wet. I took the battery out and waited three or four days in the desert heat to let it dry. Unfortunately, the camera was toast. The worst part was that I didn't get any pictures of the last 7 and a half days of it.

I waited several months and then sent it back to Canon. After waiting 3 more months I finally just got it back yesterday.
                  It cost me over $900.

Oh well, it sort of feels like an early Christmas gift now.

PS: I managed all the other big rapids on the river without flipping. Wish I had some great pictures to show you.
                  ~~~~~~

Comment

I don't like taking any of my high end cameras (digital or film) into bad weather or ANYWHERE it could potentially get wet. Water is a camera's worst enemy unless you are well prepared for it. Still I would not take a chance with an expensive camera.

So if I ever had to be out in the bad elements, I'd take a disposable film camera or something like this that I bought at a thrift store for $1:

No one would get bent out of shape if this camera got wet or destroyed.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

What do you folks think of this guy? I found him June 1st, 2008.

A Flickr photo set
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

hanaleiray, what a story and i'm sorry for your loss! the 5d is an awesome camera!!! you didn't mention what happened to your expensive lenses but i'm almost certain that you're referring to L lenses; i hope they were okay... !

Comment

Innocently went to star bucks near 'the wall' in Waikiki this morning and ended up greeted by the "Toys for Tots" motorcycle parade! Saw some friends Bobbie & Sal on their bike along with Santa too!

A choice flickr set

Comment

Don't know why Santa didn't show up in the post above? He and the other guy are checking out a view. HaHa!
                            Last edited by Menehune Man; December 6, 2009, 07:28 PM. Reason: make sense?

Comment

Nice pic of Santa on a bike.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                                hanaleiray, what a story and i'm sorry for your loss! the 5d is an awesome camera!!! you didn't mention what happened to your expensive lenses but i'm almost certain that you're referring to L lenses; i hope they were okay... !
                                Nope they were EF lenses and they survived just fine. Thanks for asking.
                                ~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X