Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 6

Another Bangkok Airport pic

An inviting space at a Hotel I stayed at in Chiang Mai. VERY comfortable lodging.

Chatuchak Market, Bangkok

Comment

Chatuchak Market, Bangkok - "Smiley Fest"

Passing time. Waiting for the Skytrain

Bangkok from above

Comment

I've forgotten the name of this beautiful Wat high on the mountain overlooking Chiang Mai. The story is that the Buddhist Monks desired to locate a sacred spot for this Wat. The strapped a treasured relic to a white elephant, with the idea that they would build where the elephant decided it was correct. The elephant worked it's way up the mountain and laid down and died on the spot where the Wat was then constructed.

Elephants like to play

This is Mak, a mahut, or elephant handler. They trailed along by foot to make sure no-one's elephant decided it was a nice day to head for Cambodia. My elephant was the oldest, largest female and therefore the leader of the group. We got quite a ways ahead of everyone else and she wanted to stop to eat, anything . . . and everything. So I thought that was ok with me and I was laughing because of my limited elephanteersmanship. Apparently Mak didn't think her pit-stop was so funny and he did something with that hook he carried. I didn't see exactly what was transpiring from my vantage point on top of the elephants head, but all of a sudden Mak got this terrified look on his face and literally bolted about thirty feet away. I thought "Wow, if she takes off in high gear, this is going to be interesting, at minimum". But I started stroking her neck and she calmed down immediately. Good times.

Comment

Hey Jim...when were you in Thailand? My daughter spent the holidays there and loved it. She, too, spent a day with the elephants. Did your excursion require a, ummm, poop sniff?!!! Eldest spawn loved her day with her elephant.

ETA: I just noticed that your elephant handler and my daughter's handler are wearing the same "shirt".
          Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic photos, Jim, as always. Thanks!
            I also appreciate learning a new word: elephanteersmanship. I gleefully await the day that I can use it in a conversation.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Lots more Thailand, but this was one I liked flying to Cambodia.

Out of Siem Reap, part of the Angkor Wat Complex includes the Bayon Temple. Angkor Wat is the most popular, but Bayon drinks Angkor Wat's milkshake. It feels like it's a million years old. Everywhere they carved these smiling, tranquil, benevolent faces into the stone. Maybe about five feet tall. I would've made the trip to see Bayon alone.

Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                Nice shot Jim (and everyone else)! Was that taken in the Botanical Garden in Wahiawa (I'm not sure about it's name) or near Lake Wilson?
                Thanks Honoruru. It was in an area called Wahiawa Hills. Extremely beautiful.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Hey Jim...when were you in Thailand? My daughter spent the holidays there and loved it. She, too, spent a day with the elephants. Did your excursion require a, ummm, poop sniff?!!! Eldest spawn loved her day with her elephant.

ETA: I just noticed that your elephant handler and my daughter's handler are wearing the same "shirt".
                Sue, it looks like the same adventure oufit. Top Notch. Yeah, I held poop, smelled poop, inspected its texture. All part of learning how to tell if your elephant is healthy. One of the best times I've had.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Fantastic photos, Jim, as always. Thanks!
                I also appreciate learning a new word: elephanteersmanship. I gleefully await the day that I can use it in a conversation.
                Thanks Likanui! I think I'd better commandeer that word into a dictionary.

Comment

OMG! Wonderful to the umpteenth degree.
                  What an experience that was. Wow!
                  Thanks for sharing, a real treat.
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Very nice photos of far, far away Thailand and Cambodia. Thanks for sharing because I'll never be going to those places!

Of course all the Hawaii shots on this page are beautiful too.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Taken just moments ago...
                      http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2679/...ffa774b389.jpg

Ooops, but the photo is in the link. Haha!

Comment

And now...

Comment

My flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/thealmightymiranda
                          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Roots hanging above Blue Room (aka The Wet Cave) on Kauai.
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Nice picture Mike.
                              ~~~~~~
                              Hanalei Bay Resort | Waipouli Beach Resort | Kuhio Shores

Comment

Utah go figure
                                Attached Files
                                A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Working...
                                X